Lowe FM165, Bilge keeps filling with water?

Davegh77

Recruit
Hi.
Any one have any idea why the bilge would constantly fill with water? The boat is a new 2012 FM165 and the manual does say a little water is normal. But this is hardly normal. If the boat is left in the water overnight as was the case this weekend, the entire bilge is under water. Used the bilge pump to pump this out, then while on the water all day, you can see the bilge again taking on water.

Any suggestions as to where i could start solving this?

Thanks in advance
Dave

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lowe FM165, Bilge keeps filling with water?

If it's still under warranty, I'd be making phone calls.
If not, I'd be checking all the through-hull fittings, hoses and clamps. Do you have a live well? Wash down pump? positive the drain plugs are sealing properly?
I can't imagine that much water getting in from rivets in a practically new boat unless you tagged something pretty good.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When ya have the boat out of the water on the trailer fill the bilge with water and see where it is coming out. It shouldn't sit very deep in the water so it shouldn't take too much water in the bilge to find the leak.

Davegh77

Recruit

If it's still under warranty, I'd be making phone calls.
If not, I'd be checking all the through-hull fittings, hoses and clamps. Do you have a live well? Wash down pump? positive the drain plugs are sealing properly?
I can't imagine that much water getting in from rivets in a practically new boat unless you tagged something pretty good.

Hi. Thanks for reply. Yes, phone calls will probably start Tuesday morning. Yes, this boat has 2 live wells. 1 in the stern, 1 in the bow. I did a visual on the fittings, they appear to be ok. Aside from checking the seal ( which looks good ) on the drain plug, it also appears ok.

There is no wash down pump. Only have the transducer for the Fish finder and the bilge pump on the back of the boat.

I even tried filling the bilge on dry dock with water, and no leaks appeared from the fittings which I find strange.

The boat has hit nothing, i'm positive about that. I'm the only user.

Davegh77

Recruit

When ya have the boat out of the water on the trailer fill the bilge with water and see where it is coming out. It shouldn't sit very deep in the water so it shouldn't take too much water in the bilge to find the leak.

Hi. Thanks for reply.

I actually just tried that today on dry dock. Low'n behold...filled it, no leaks. So kinda stumped now.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi. Thanks for reply. Yes, phone calls will probably start Tuesday morning. Yes, this boat has 2 live wells. 1 in the stern, 1 in the bow. I did a visual on the fittings, they appear to be ok. Aside from checking the seal ( which looks good ) on the drain plug, it also appears ok.

There is no wash down pump. Only have the transducer for the Fish finder and the bilge pump on the back of the boat.

I even tried filling the bilge on dry dock with water, and no leaks appeared from the fittings which I find strange.

The boat has hit nothing, i'm positive about that. I'm the only user.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Try lookin' at all that stuff, In the water,...

Sometimes a leak, only leaks 1 way, ya gotta duplicate it....

A digital camera helps in this sorta stuff, holdin' it where yer head won't fit,.... ;)

Cmartin519

Cadet

Hey Dave. I have the exact same boat, 2012 with a 60... I've been out 3 times so far with it. Please keep this thread alive and let us know what the issue was.

Gundogdaddy

Recruit

I have the same boat, bought last year. Same problem. Dealer found a floor screw had penetrated the hose to the front live well. Pull the center floor board and you should find the problem or let them do it if still under warranty.