85 force trim question

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone,

I bought a bayliner capri 85,with a 85 force.
i had a question on the trim.
When i lower the motor all the way down,it hits where it is suppose to.
Hits a 1 inch by like 5 inch long steel bar.
Kinda like a steel shock bar.

My question is that it can go down further until the bar is pushed into the absorber.
That is kinda a stop spot or safety i assume,and do not lower it anymore?
Can i lower it any more and push the bar in?Or is that where you run it all the time?Butted up against the steel rod?

Im thinking it is a stop so you don't ruin the back end of your boat.

Just a curious question :)
Thanks,
Scotty

RRitt

Captain
Re: 85 force trim question

i am very familiar with the system but can not figure out what which bars and rods you are talking about. can you post a picture?

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have pics sorry.
When the motor stops and hits the boat,it hits a steel rod thats 1 1/2 inches thick,and around4-5 inches long.

It would be the resting place I guess...lol
scotty

ambrowns

Cadet

I am a new owner of a similar setup as yours as well but I believe I can still answer your question. The system you are talking about is tilt/trim. The tilt is what you are using until you hit that 5" rod and it is what is used to pull the motor out of the water for trailering. The 5" rod is actually what is used for trim. You should have the rod all the way in (trimmed in or down) when starting out to get your boat to plane out and then start trimming out slowly until you find the correct trim for the boat to ride correctly. Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ambrowns,

Thanks for the heads up.I wasn't sure what the deal was with that.
The guy i bought it from said it ran good last year,and now this year she runs good 1/2 way through throttle,then i gun it,and it takes off,but boggs down.

Possibly the bogging down could be caused by not having the motor in the proper place to get me going?

Im still going to do a decarb though :)

Hopefully this is the issue on the trim,who knows.

Thanks for the info as i didn't know i should bring it all the way to the boat,and actually stopped the trimming when it hit that bar.

Wouldn't think 5 inches would make alot of difference though.

Scotty

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bogging sound like something might be in one of your carb bowls or maybe a minor air fuel mix adjustment, or your fuel pump, maybe air....
If I may Id like to add to the tilt and trim, How do you add fluid, Instructions? (85hp force 1989 motor on the right side) Today I rose it all the way up till it stopped and it wouldnt go back down, push down some and it worked fine till I trimmed it all the way in then when raising it would go up then down then stall then go all the way up... Im gussing its low on fluid?

RRitt

Captain

The bogging sound like something might be in one of your carb bowls or maybe a minor air fuel mix adjustment, or your fuel pump, maybe air....
If I may Id like to add to the tilt and trim, How do you add fluid, Instructions? (85hp force 1989 motor on the right side) Today I rose it all the way up till it stopped and it wouldnt go back down, push down some and it worked fine till I trimmed it all the way in then when raising it would go up then down then stall then go all the way up... Im gussing its low on fluid?

The prestolite with plastic reservoir (1988-1992) can be filled up or down. All others should be filled in the up position.

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

K Im not sure which one I have I know there is what looks to be a twist off screw on the motor maybe 5/8ths down it and its on the right side of the motor, if someone knows and or has one like this would chime in and let me know how to fill and check the fluid, Im still trying to learn the relivance of this motor due to no model serial..

pwilke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Put the motor in the all of the way up position, unscrew the side fill cap and fill it with fluid (the side fill cap that you spoke about) until it spills back out of the fill hole, then it is full. The bogging issue wouldn't be caused by the trim unit or setting, The 5" rod your talking about is just another part of your tilt n trim unit to set the motor where you like it for best performance. Make sure your fuel filter is clean, when you gun it and all of a sudden it starts bogging it could be starving for fuel. Very important, make sure it is not over heating!, is it pumping water real good and is the water stream stronger when you run it at higher RPM's? good luck

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

K awsome thanks a bunch, what type of fluid am I supposed to use? I know there is a proper fluid Im supposed to use or it will screw up the hydraulic