Shurflo Raw Water Washdown(water doesnt discharge)

I have a shurflow pump for my raw water washdown. I havent installed it because I just bought the boat so it is new to me. The pump makes a sound like its pumping but water doesnt discharge.

It is connected to a through hull fitting in which the livewell pump is also connected. This will fill up, but i think its because it's using a different pump.

pump is properly mounted above the water line and the website says that it is self priming to 6 ft. above the waterline.

Is there something I can do to test it before I have to open it up?

Thanks for any help!!

Re: Shurflo Raw Water Washdown(water doesnt discharge)

Also, owner said he replaced it 2 years ago, so I couldn't believe it could be broken.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

even new stuff on boats will break. Could be that the shaft of the pump is broken, so it's turning but the impeller isn't.

i assume your seacock is open

I think the seacock must be open if water is flowing into the livewell since the is only one through hull water pickup on the underside of the hull.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do you have it plumbed and wired correctly? The water in and out connections are correct? Negative to negative / positive to positive?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If it's plumbed to the same through hull as the livewell, and there's no valve in between, the pump will simply draw air from the live well since that offers less resistance than the water. Turn both pumps on simultaneously and they both should pump water.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Do you have it plumbed and wired correctly? The water in and out connections are correct? Negative to negative / positive to positive?

I don't think polarity matters on that style pump. Pretty sure it's a diaphragm pump and flow direction is a function of the flapper valves inside, not the direction the motor spins.

Shurflo Bait Sentry Washdown port

Shurflo Bait Sentry Washdown port

I dont know if i'm missing something or what but I have one of these BaitSentry's and it pumps great for the livewell, but can't get the washdown to work.

I just bougth this boat so i'm not sure how to operate it properly or if there's a switch other than the one for the separate Shurflo Pro Blaster Washdown pump.

So, the washdown isn't discharging water, but I troubleshooted it and the Pro Blaster is working fine(I just disconnected hose from the strainer and put it overboard and it pumped fine).

So is there some switch on the Bait Sentry to switch from the livewell port to the washdown port or is it supposed to just work when the Pro Blaster is turned on?

Thank you in advance for any help

I found out its called a Shurflo BaitSentry. And I tried turning both of the pumps on and that still didn't get water to the washdown pump.

Then I was trying to take off the hose from the BaitSentry and it is just really stubborn and I definitely don't want to break the pump or seacock.

And can I take the pump off from the seacock while the boat is still in the water so it might be easier to detach the hose?
It's just so hard to work with through a small hatch and at the bottom of the bilge.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I found out its called a Shurflo BaitSentry. And I tried turning both of the pumps on and that still didn't get water to the washdown pump.

Then I was trying to take off the hose from the BaitSentry and it is just really stubborn and I definitely don't want to break the pump or seacock.

And can I take the pump off from the seacock while the boat is still in the water so it might be easier to detach the hose?
It's just so hard to work with through a small hatch and at the bottom of the bilge.

The bait sentry should have an extra port for the wash down pump inlet. Is that what the wash down pump is connected to? What model is the wash down pump?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shurflo Bait Sentry Washdown port

Re: Shurflo Bait Sentry Washdown port

If the bait sentry pump is installed properly, the impeller in it must be below the waterline. That will put the wash down port on the bait sentry pump below the waterline as well. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing special in the bait sentry pump for wash down connection, it's functionally just a T.

If the bait sentry works correctly and the wash down works well when not connected to the bait sentry, the only explanation is that the plumbing between the bait sentry and the wash down is either blocked or has an air leak above the waterline. Is there a valve in line? Is there a strainer in line? A strainer must be installed above the water line and if it's leaking, would only leak air in, not water out.

The washdown pump hose is connected to that port but the water isn't making it to the washdown pump so I thought I was missing some switch or something to allow the water to come through that port. I think it is the 800 gph model but the tag is facing away from view so I can't really tell.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I merged both of your threads together since they seem to be about the same thing. No need for two threads on the same subject, that gets confusing.

It was the sea strainer for sure, once I got the pump out of that area I could hear the air leaking.

So I just put some grease I had to seal it up a bit and then water was able to get through.

Though there are still some air bubbles I can see coming from around the edges of the strainer cover(since its transparent).
So, I'll either have to get a new rubber gasket to fit around it(even though there's no cracks or anything in it now), or just get a new strainer.

Thanks for all your help on this one!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I don't think polarity matters on that style pump. Pretty sure it's a diaphragm pump and flow direction is a function of the flapper valves inside, not the direction the motor spins.
Washdown pumps with pressure controls are directional. Been there, done that.