Over loading boats above the capacity plate max?

cptnmcluvin

Seaman
Has anyone ever been stopped or fined for over loading their boat above the capacity plate?

My boat has a 9 person and 1,275 lbs maximum capacity.

If I carry 10 people and PFDs for all 10, will I still get fined?

How would law enforcement prove my boat is carrying over 1,275 lbs?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Over loading boats above the capacity plate max?

10>9 so you are overloaded and subject to penalty, including having your voyage terminated immediately by the Coast Guard if boating in waters under their jurisdiction. The capacity is 10 persons OR 1,275#, whichever comes first, so to speak.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The best thing would be to not risk it... but I don't really think they would stop you unless you were blatantly overloaded, boat sitting low in the water and very crowded.

Realistically your boat could be overloaded with just 5 obese people, put 5 300 lb. people on there and you're over the max. cap.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if the speed limit is 55 but I drive 80 can I get a ticket? how could anyone prove I was speeding?

They could estimate the weight you were carrying or count people and ticket you/ tow you to dock... you could then tell it to the judge

UncleWillie

Captain

The Big question would be WHY?

An Over Loaded, Over Occupied boat is going to be no fun for either the occupants or the operator.
It will handle like a dog, guzzle fuel, and get nowhere fast.

If you are doing this to impress a large bunch of friends, picture loading 7 people into an SUV designed for 5 max and then going out for a joy ride.

I have a boat rated for 8 people.
It is no fun with six people on board unless four of them are under 12 years old.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

and even within the max is not always safe--depends on a lot of things. Water temperature is one of them.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With a name like Capt. McLuvin, I'm just curious what activities those 10 people are up to.

briangcc

Commander

Not saying its right or wrong but you can very easily exceed the number of people without overloading the boat. Young children don't weigh that much.

So...with children aboard, I usually go with weight capacity and not number of people.

cyclops2

Banned

Mother & CARRIED infant = 1 person
Toddler stumbling along side another person or alone = 1 person
Paralyzed person & attendant = 2 people
Any animal over about 30 pounds = 1 person
large or heavy objects also count = 1 person
Any other size / weights are a safety judgemental call based on weather conditions MOST LIKELY to prevail for the stated trip duration. Exceptions are always granted in logical cases.

Warnings are the RULE. Unless alcohol & or drugs are a suspicion.

Have a great day & take ALL wakes from passing boats bow into them.
Putting on life jackets for all the seniors is advisable because there will probably not be enough time to find & put the jackets on them as they sink or drift away & sink.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

My personal experience, not saying it is right, is that law enforcement will stop you INSTANTLY if you are over the person count. Doesn't matter if they are all kids and you are probably at half the weight limit. Head count only. Load the boat up with some 300 pounders and law enforcement looks the other way.

Again, not saying its right, but not all states have requirements for the capacity plate. In those states, the officers will use judgement based on common sense. If the boat looks like its in trouble, you get told to unload some people. In other words, I have never witnessed a person get a ticket if they didn't have the capacity plate, only if it was present and they were over the limit.

cyclops2

Banned

They do NOT HAVE TO PROVE ANYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!
You HAVE TO DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO. Spolied adult brats get themselves arrested & the boat seized.

ACLU OR CIVIL RIGHTS will be decided several hearings later.

All the above is a USCG / Canadian operational procedure.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not saying its right or wrong but you can very easily exceed the number of people without overloading the boat. Young children don't weigh that much.

So...with children aboard, I usually go with weight capacity and not number of people.

Not sure how as they use 150 lbs per person. Unless you have a bunch of kids because I don't know a lot of 150 lb adults. If it is a bunch of kids do you have enough adults to supervise them properly ? You also need a proper place for them to be seated while underway. I don't know of any boats that have more seating than the boat capacity plate calls for.

? You also need a proper place for them to be seated while underway. I don't know of any boats that have more seating than the boat capacity plate calls for.

Well, my 20' cuddy ( no capacity plate) has seats for 7 in the cockpit, and there is easily room for 5 more seated in the cabin - that totals 12, which I know exceeds the safe limits.

Edit. That may be a bad example ( no plate ) - so my neighbours Sea Ray Cuddy with plate rated for 7 people or 950 lbs, has 6 seats in the cockpit and room for 4 or more (smaller) people in the cabin.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

OK reality check.

The limits on the card are X people or Y pounds. Or. Disjunctive connector for those who know grammar.

If you have more than X people regardless of weight, you are in violation. It's very easy.

If you have more than Y pounds of ANYTHING in the boat you are in violation, whether it's people, dogs or lumber. And motor, fuel, anchor, etc. count toward the total. And it's the actual weight of each thing, whether person or dog or log.

SOME capacity tags add in the weight of the motor for you and what's left is your max for gear and people's actual weight.

The limits for the number of people and the weight are independent. Or. Disjunctive.

The "150 pounds per person" comes from dividing the weight capacity by the passenger limits to get an average--an unrealistic and irrelevant average at that, except it works with 200 pound people with 100 pound children. it's best just to forget you ever heard "150 pounds" and not repeat it here ever again.

Under some authorities, violating the sticker is itself a "crime." In other places, it's a crime to be unsafe, and the sticker is evidence (called a presumption in legal terms) of what is or may be unsafe.

Remember that too many people (children) under the total weight limit can be unsafe due to their numbers, not weight.

Cyclops is once again wrong and putting it in CAPITAL LETTERS does not make it right.

cyclops2

Banned

WHAT AM I WRONG ABOUT

And you abe absolutely correct about ?

cyclops2

Banned

Capital lettered words are used for other than stating a law or a fact. But for a SUPPOSED GRAMMAR EXPERT .......I am suprised you FAILED that part of the tsets.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure a "place to sit" is factored into the plates; you can buy a bare bones Carolina Skiff rated for 10 people with no seats at all. However, it would be important as to "safe operation" standards, and some regulations prohibit sitting on the gunwales (which might by extension include the transom and/or bow deck).

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having 10 people on a boat is never fun even if it's a 30 footer , on my 21 pursuit even though it's rated for more I never have more than four people it's just a cluster and nobody can enjoy themselves. On another note my 13ft whaler has the same "person" capacity as my 175 Aquasport , just use common sense.

cyclops2

Banned

I just returned from the USCG regulations concerning determining ....maximum number of people in a boat.....Blake has it right
The code allows the amount of loaded weight to be divided up in ANY combination of 141 pound people and balance being gear.

The labels are really selective guides by a boat manufacturer to balance seating space & loaded cargo space.

A bare bones hull could be 1 person & 2000 pounds of gear.......Legal.

Or a sightseeing boat with 2,000 pounds of 141 pound people & no gear..........also legal

briangcc

Commander

Not sure how as they use 150 lbs per person. Unless you have a bunch of kids because I don't know a lot of 150 lb adults. If it is a bunch of kids do you have enough adults to supervise them properly ? You also need a proper place for them to be seated while underway. I don't know of any boats that have more seating than the boat capacity plate calls for.

My bow can easily hold 5-6 children - seated with life jackets on. They're all under the age of 10 - no where near 100lbs each..probably more in the 50-70 dripping wet range. My butt occupies the captain's seat. That leaves the passenger seat and my entire rear bench open for adults. There's plenty of seating for everyone without being crowded or tripping over anyone. IF I brought more children aboard, I could easily put another 5 across the back bench in that same age group. At that point, without filling the passenger seat, I'm over the # of persons but not over the weight.

Now that being said, I'm not insane enough to be the only adult aboard the boat with 10+ children on board. For starters, someone has to be aboard that can safely operate the boat should something happen to me. And someone needs to be able to administer first aid to the children should the need arise while I'm getting the boat back to the dock. So usually I have a few adults with the children along for the ride.

** But logistically, it can be done where the number of persons is above the capacity plate BUT the weight isn't.