• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really need a windshield?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need a windshield?

I have a 2000 Glastron SX175 17Ft runabout. I can't see well out of boat because the top of the windshield frame is eye level (especially nerve racking while towing the kids) So I tend to sit on top of the seatback and now causing damage to the seat and it's very uncomfortable.

My question is, do I really need to have that windshield and why?

Anyone know how to remove the windshield and frame?

Thanks

Re: Do I really need a windshield?

Welcome to iboats.

No requirement for the windshield except for comfort and visibility........ I doubt you would be happy running w/o it.

If the seating position is wrong you have choices to raise the seat, change the seat or continue to sit on top.

If you insist on removing the windshield ......... it is held on with bolts that are usually in the most possible inconvenient places under your dash and gunwale ........ remove the nuts and lift the windshield assembly off
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Bob. I never thought about changing the seat. I assume I would need a taller seat to get me better vision. But that would put my head above the windshield and not sure the difference of that from removing the windshield.

Comment

Welcome to iboats!

Even with your head above the windshield frame, you will still benefit from significant wind (and water) blocking. You can also duck down behind it when you know you're going to be taking some spray over the bow. I would leave it in place.
        Bob, Orange County NY
        '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
        Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
        Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

My seat base is 6 inches. Seems that I would only need to change out the seats with a 10 inch base and leave the winshield in place. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks

Comment

Consider this .......

Your boat You are the Captain.

Can you sacrifice the seat behind the driver's seat?

Consider changing your seat to a bucket with a height adjustable pedestal.

Or

you can build up the seat mount which is easier and cheaper
            This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
            Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Get one with a built in hinged bolster. You can raise it when you want to see over the windshield, and lower it when you want to see through it.
              Sparky
              1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
              5.0 HO
              SX Drive

http://community.webshots.com/user/sparkinatorST

Comment

I just took my baby's booster step (5 inches tall) out to the boat, placed it on the seat and sat down. Made all the difference in the world.

I think the pedastal seat (thanks Bob) is the way I will correct this problem.

And to think I was just out there cleaning up the boat to sell because of this problem. It's when I sat down at the wheel that I got that feeling that there had to be a way to fix this, rather than selling it.

Thanks

Comment

I'm probably going to replace my seats next year, and these are the ones I've been eyeing.

Sparky
                  1995 Four Winns Horizon 190
                  5.0 HO
                  SX Drive

http://community.webshots.com/user/sparkinatorST

Comment

I dont think I have actually SAT in the drivers seat while towing ever in my boat. I am always standing.
                    Jezzebelle-1999 Pursuit 2870 w/ Twin Yamaha 225's
                    Guppie-1996 Allison Sea Max 17 w/ Mariner 75

Comment

Don't know about enforcement where you are, but...
                      Sitting on top of the seatback, or standing while the boat is underway, is illegal in many locales.
                      Same as having someone sitting on the bow, or top of the gunwale.
                      Medford, WI

Comment

Next time (if) your caught in the rain stand up and drive the boat back to the dock.

If you remove the windshield thats what it will be like if you ever get stuck in the rain.

My seats actually a little too low. I have been stuck driving home in the rain twice now and I have to hide behind the windshield so it doesnt feel like Im getting sandblasted in my face.
                        '89 25' Donzi R25 5.7 OMC / Cobra

Comment

No, you need sunglasses....but very cool ones.
                          BP
                          Big Prairie
                          90' Capri- 90 Force
                          Apparently....Newt Gingrich has several Pete Seeger records that he hasn't disclosed.

Comment

The original owner of my boat was not the tallest man in the room. He had difficulty seeing through the window, nevermind the frame.

I don't know what kind of seats you have, but my boat has seats similar to this:

The original owner put 2 4x4 blocks between the seat and the pedestal to raise it up so he could see. May work for you as an inexpensive, yet effective way of raising your sitting position.

You can kind of see what he did on the captain's chair here:

1994 Bayliner Capri 1604 w/94 70 Force (sold)
                            1984 SportCraft 222 OFF w/84 Mercruiser 488 & Alpha 1
                            1979 Sears Gamefisher 13'6" Aluminum w/1959 Johnson 10HP
                            1969 Smokin' Hot Wife

Comment

Do you absolutely have to have one? No.

Are they very convenient? Absolutely. One time that I especially appreciate having a windshield, is just before dark, when the bugs are thick. I'd much rather watch the "splat" on it, than to pick them out of my teeth!

Please don't PM me on advice issues - let's keep that in the forums, so that everyone can benefit. Please note that I do not email PDFs, etc. I have a bandwidth limited aircard for internet access. My avatar does not mean I have any offical link to iboats. I just like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X