I have to lift it up off the trailer now any tips?

a70eliminator

Captain
chaparral.jpg
[/IMG]

Well last year when I bought her, the guy gave me his old trailer registration so I could get it licensed, long story but I lost it so now they're telling me I have to get the trailer weighed on a certified scale and they gave me the BMV form. Well I needed to do some repairs to the bunks anyhow so I'm going for it, where to start I ask, I have a couple nice floor jacks and some boards block tires ect. this boat has a V-8 so it's heavy in the rear, Where would be the best place to start with the jack, I'm thinking right under the transom maybe? I certainly don't want to compromise anything.

leserz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I have to lift it up off the trailer now any tips?

take it to the nearest boat ramp launch it . have someone baby sit it while you take the trailer to get weight. after that drive back to the ramp load it up again. drive home. large truck stops have certified scales. the only thing i can think of. other than go to a boat yard have them lift it off trailer . but that will cost you some $$$$ thats my two cents worth.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is the best^^^ that is big boat to slide off.

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

a70eliminator

Captain

chaparral001.jpg
[/IMG]

Ok It's a done deal, trailer rig ready for the scales, now I gotta go change my shorts.

pbuzz3323

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is the best^^^ that is big boat to slide off.

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

DO IT THIS WAY....I DID...WORKED LIKE A CHARM AND ALMOST A SINGLE MAN JOB. COME TO THINK OF IT ..AT 45000$ IF I DROPPED IT I WOULDA BEEN SINGLE MAN!!!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Just out of interest -- what did the trailer weigh in at?

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think that you could have used the former owners old plates (looks to me like they are still on the trailer), to find out his name, and then he can order replacement registration for you that should have all the info you need. Then he can fill out the papers saying he's sold you the boat/trailer.

little late now I guess

a70eliminator

Captain

Ah , very observant you are, but those are the plates off the trailer my MFG rides on, after all a trailer's a trailer but I just want to get it done right this time, I ran my other trailer plates for the remainder of last season along with the owners boat registration sticker. I now have my new 3yr. sticker and after I weigh in tomorrow I'll get the trailer legal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good job. i did 2 today myself, just moving boats to different trailers.