Blower question. Do I need to run every time??

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
New boat owner Here, I was wondering if I had to run the blower everytime I start the boat or just after I trailer it. I was talking to one of my buddy and he said that I need to run the blower everytime I start the boat do to gas fums and exhust that builds up in there from just the waves. I thought I was just supposed to run the blower after trailering the boat as I have been doing not every time.

Also Where does that exhaust go? Since it and i/o and there is no exhuast that I can see?

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Blower question. Do I need to run every time??

Your buddy is correct the blower needs to be run every time you start the motor. The engine compartment on a boat does not have as much ventilation as it does on a car and they do fill with fumes. Explosions on boats are quite common because of this. When your boat is underway there are vents that keep the fumes from building up in the compartment but when you shut it off there is no wind to keep the enclosed space fresh. You can follow the air tubes from your blower to see where the intake and exhaust tubes go.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Can you say kabooooom?? Yes run the blowers before starting for at least 2 minutes pryor to starting the engine at all times. You would be suprised how quickly fumes can build up. I believe there was a boat in Florida that this just happend to recently.

ziggy

Admiral

run the blowers before starting for at least 2 minutes pryor to starting the engine
yep, that's what my 1975 safety sticker says in my boat too. the new uscg recommendation is to run it 5 min prior to turning the key... every time.

ya might also open the engine compartment and have a sniff too. this is an excellent way to decide if you've got fuel fumes in your bilge too..

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

turn on your blower and you should be able to feel the exhaust from port somewhere on the side of your boat near the aft, if not, then there is a problem whith the duct work or blower.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Opening the dog house will also help dissipate the fumes. Gas fumes are heavier than air and will settle to the bottom of the bilge area. Your intake hose from the blower should be placed as low in the bilge as possible to remove as much as possible.
With the combination of the hatch open and the bilge blower running you stand a lot better chance of removing those fumes.
All it takes is one spark and the fat lady sings ! :eek:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

any boat with carbs will always have some fuel smell, just how carbs work, there is always going to be a spot where raw fuel is exposed to air.

fuel injected engines should normally not have any fuel smell, unless it is leaking/seeping out of something.

mafhuntfish

Seaman

I saw a guy in Texas jump into his boat on the trailer & have his wife back him down the ramp. The boat came off the trailer & drifted out a little & BOOM!! It blew his engine cover straight up about 40'. Fortunately, he was the only one in the boat & unhurt (other than a screaming headache) His boat was another story.......

70calglass

Recruit

Help! I'm new to this website communications. How do I ask a question on this website? What do I click to write a question?
And Yes, you should always run the blower for a minute before you turn the key.
you don't want any fuel vapour near the spark.

slmiller1

Cadet

Is there a blower on an outboard? I don't think so but I have this toggle switch that says blower ACC

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Opening the dog house will also help dissipate the fumes. Gas fumes are heavier than air and will settle to the bottom of the bilge area. Your intake hose from the blower should be placed as low in the bilge as possible to remove as much as possible.
With the combination of the hatch open and the bilge blower running you stand a lot better chance of removing those fumes.
All it takes is one spark and the fat lady sings ! :eek:

yep, i always pull the engine cover off when i first take it off the trailer. gives me a good opportunity to jump in there for something if i have to during the unloading process. also, if we stop to swim or something, ill pull it off again sometimes just to check out the bilge and the belts and stuff and let it air out again. but yes, always at least run the blower for at least 2 minutes every time. I dont know about you, but i only have one boat and dont want to replace it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

70calglass. I sent you a Private Message to help you (PM). Look upper right, just below the Welcome 70calglass note and click there.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Is there a blower on an outboard? I don't think so but I have this toggle switch that says blower ACC

No blower on an outboard as the engine is not in an enclosed area.

New boat owner Here, I was wondering if I had to run the blower everytime I start the boat or just after I trailer it. I was talking to one of my buddy and he said that I need to run the blower everytime I start the boat do to gas fums and exhust that builds up in there from just the waves. I thought I was just supposed to run the blower after trailering the boat as I have been doing not every time.

Also Where does that exhaust go? Since it and i/o and there is no exhuast that I can see?

I actually feel like i don't need to run the blower after trailering but i always do anyway. My theory is that if i just drove 90 minutes to my launch doing 40mph on average than the passive venting should work just as if i was running around on the water. However, i won't take the chance and always run the blower for about 5 minutes before starting and while running at a slow speed (not on plane). (My sticker says run for 4 minutes)

As far as the exhaust question goes. If you mean the exhaust from the blower you should be able to trace the hose from the blower. It normally exhausts on one side of the boat or the other or above the swim platform.

If you meant the exhaust from the engine, than it will either exhaust though pipes out the transom above the water line. You will be able to see them. All other engines will exhaust the the prop.

Hope this helps!

ocean traveler

Recruit

yeah i would definitely run the blower you dont want those fumes to ignite or else your life and boat disappear. ive seen some pretty nasty demonstration videos

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Help! I'm new to this website communications. How do I ask a question on this website? What do I click to write a question?
And Yes, you should always run the blower for a minute before you turn the key.
you don't want any fuel vapour near the spark.
WELCOME 70CALGLASS

and dekorzun21- i will be the 12th person to post YES_ RUN BLOWER AT LEAST 4MIN BEFORE STARTING AND DO THE SNIFF TEST I keep my boat in a slip-and 1st thing i do is flip blower switch on then start my routine of cleaning spider webs and loading boat.
i do not turn blower off till i'm back in slip.

Be safe and have FUN!

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

whatever you do, dont overuse the blower. they get hot quick and then they will light your skin on fire from 1 foot away. i had a buddy that lost his legs after they caught on fire. he didn't have a fire extinguisher so he had to saw them off.

:confused:

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some suggest running the blower while idling or at low speeds because there is little ventilation without air flow over the external vents.

slmiller1

Cadet

No blower on an outboard as the engine is not in an enclosed area.

I actually feel like i don't need to run the blower after trailering but i always do anyway. My theory is that if i just drove 90 minutes to my launch doing 40mph on average than the passive venting should work just as if i was running around on the water. However, i won't take the chance and always run the blower for about 5 minutes before starting and while running at a slow speed (not on plane). (My sticker says run for 4 minutes)

As far as the exhaust question goes. If you mean the exhaust from the blower you should be able to trace the hose from the blower. It normally exhausts on one side of the boat or the other or above the swim platform.

If you meant the exhaust from the engine, than it will either exhaust though pipes out the transom above the water line. You will be able to see them. All other engines will exhaust the the prop.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Some suggest running the blower while idling or at low speeds because there is little ventilation without air flow over the external vents.

I don't know if its necessary but I run mine at trolling speeds also. The thought of gas vapors floating around the bilge freak me out.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

there will be a flame arrestor on the top of the carb as well - looks like a metal 'air filter' -- you should take it off and clean it out by sioaking it in a degreaser - make sure it IS MARINE GRADE CLEANER AND DOES NOT CONTAIN PETROLIUM to degrease this part. It is important that you keep it clean so the buildup doesn't catch as well.

Blower on - flame arrester clean. fire extinguishers on board and easy to get to. We put ours up front so we can get to them in case the engine catches.

Take a boaters safety class too... greatest equipment I got for my boat was my safety card.

Good luck!