• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

home made docks :)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home made docks :)

Lets see um! I am thinking of putting mine in next weekend. Wanted to see who else made there own dock, and what it looks like, parts used etc..
    I actually changed my design up a bit this year.

1st year Dock.
    This was 2 4'x8' sections, with a log leading out to the first section, and plywood connecting the 2 sections.

And then the flood....
    Then we play " wheres the dock" kinda like wheres waldo.

2nd Year Dock.

4- 4'x10' Sections and one 4'x'5 Section.

This years dock.... Pics Coming.
    2009 Centurion Falcon V Air Warrior
    NorthWest Ohio WakeBoarders!
    www.maumeewake.com

Re: home made docks

i see you are from the north, more info. is it a permanent dock, or does it need to be removed for winter?
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
      i see you are from the north, more info. is it a permanent dock, or does it need to be removed for winter?
      Removed, every winter, usually Oct time frame. Its a floater
      www.maumeewake.com

Comment

Know your permitting requirements esp. if there is any marsh grass around, or neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by David Greer View Post
          Know your permitting requirements esp. if there is any marsh grass around, or neighbors.
          what?
          www.maumeewake.com

Comment

I started with 3ea. 12ft 2-by-6's and put 5/4- by sixes on them as decking. I used standard drywall screws back then, but this was before the copper treated lumber. (I used the old green arsenic stuff.) The only comment that I would make is they were as heavy as a tank, and I had to get some help from a neighbor to put them in the first time (until they dried out a little over the summer). On the plus side, they were cheap and easy to build. I used the screw posts from the old dock to support them. By the way, that same neighbor had a giant ratchet thing that was great to turn the screw posts into the bottom. Depending on your lake bottom, you can try a saw horse arangement to hold them. My other neighbor did that. A different neighbor, down the road used a stripped down pontoon (deck only) as his deck. If you are dealing with varying water levels, that can be a great idea. Sorry, I don't have any pictures as I have moved away from that home several years ago.

TerryMSU

Comment

I smiled when you mentioned changing your design. I have a home-made dock that's probably in it's fourth incantation now. It seems every couple of years a new requirement comes along and I tweak or rebuild portions to suit. In fact, I bought a much smaller version of this dock from a friend. Rebuilding it over and over was made easier thanks to the $$$ dock hardware he originally bought.

The dock's built using mostly 2x6 pressure-treated lumber, dock edge hardware and some floats + barrels. It's assembled out of 4'x12' and 4'x16' sections which I bolt or pin together letting me haul it in and out of the water in semi-manageable sections. Helpers definitely required though. The water-end is anchored by cris-crossing chains tethered to home-made concrete-filled tire anchors. The shore side is staked into the ground with some short pieces of pipe.

Love to see what you're up to.

Comment

Can't wait till I put my 12 x 20' in this weekend that was just built. I will take some pics!
                '90 Grady White 190 Tournament w/130hp Yamaha
                '07 Glastron GXL 185 (4.3L MPI)
                '08 Smokercraft 14' w/20hp Mercury 4stroke
                '96 Doral 170BR (90hp Yamaha) (Past)

Comment

Ayuh,...

I built a floater a few years ago outa some found/ free steel, dumpster lumber,+ some plastic barrels...
                  I launched it 3 summers ago,+ it's still floatin' just Fine...

Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

That is one impressive structure, Bondo -- how'd you move her?

I also like the plastic barrel approach. Exposed foam really soaks up the water.
                    Give me a picture and a thousand words!

2004 Scout Dorado 175 Dual Console
                    Yamaha 90 4-Stroke

Comment

updated my first post with pics.
                      www.maumeewake.com

Comment

The deck looks great, BUT! the white barrows will NOT last as long as long as the black or the green.

Comment

That is one impressive structure, Bondo -- how'd you move her?
                          Ayuh,.... Thank you,.. I picked it up with a backhoe, set it on a boat trailer,+ launched it like a boat....
                          BUT! the white barrows will NOT last as long as long as the black or the green.
                          Ayuh,... Heard that before,.. BUT,... I use what I've Got...
                          updated my first post with pics.
                          Ayuh,... You've gotta Resize 'em to 480x640 or Smaller.....
                          Nobody likes to have to side-scroll...
                          Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Holy moly! I did resize them. What size screen are you using?
                            www.maumeewake.com

Comment

Bond-o, what are those rings/straps used to connect the barrels to the frame? Are they something you made or something you got that was already made?

I've often thought about making a small floating dock but never decided on a way to connect the drums/floats to the frame. I like the way you've done yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X