Installing Rope Steering system

BaconManNz

Recruit
Hi there, I have finished doing up my boat and now need to reinstall the rope steering system, however I can't quite remember how it was setup.

I have one rope which goes from motor to steering wheel then down the other side of the boat on to the motor again. Each connection point on the motor has a roller. But I now have two free ends of rope after putting it through these rollers, what do I do with them lol?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Installing Rope Steering system

use cable not rope. rope wears too easily. Lowes sells a 3/16 and 5/16 coated cable in 50 foot lengths. the main thing is getting all the slack out of the system, and then tighten. you have to keep tension on the cables or the will come off the drum.

waterpic

Recruit

where can i get parts for the steering drum or can i use a coffee can or what

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Hello, and welcome to iboats!
Please post your question in a new thread next time, rather than dragging up old ones.

Anyway, you can't get new drums or helm for the rope system; you will have to get that from a junk boat. The coffee can idea won't work; it is not sturdy enough and there isn't the guide slots for the rope to keep it from tangling up. You don't want to jury rig an outboard steering system anyway because that is a good way to die.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Hello, and welcome to iboats!
Please post your question in a new thread next time, rather than dragging up old ones.

Anyway, you can't get new drums or helm for the rope system; you will have to get that from a junk boat. The coffee can idea won't work; it is not sturdy enough and there isn't the guide slots for the rope to keep it from tangling up. You don't want to jury rig an outboard steering system anyway because that is a good way to die.

"Please post your question in a new thread next time, rather than dragging up old ones."

Why create a new thread for the same pertinent question??
That is what the search function is for, to find previous post on the same subject and possibly answer a question without needing to ask it again in the forum.

Somebody else would have chided him for not doing a search before posting a question.

Welcome to the fray Waterpic.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Jman,
You've been on the boards long enough to know what the mods prefer.

His question had very little to do with the original poster's question.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Jman,
You've been on the boards long enough to know what the mods prefer.
Debatable http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367845

His question had very little to do with the original poster's question.

LOL, The original question was about installing a rope steering system and the resurrection question was where to find a drum for a rope steering system.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ebay, craigslist, steal one off an old boat. the helms are no longer made. make sure the bearing are still good. the rest of the parts are available in the iboats store.

puddle jumper

Captain

I think what others are trying to say If you started a new thread you would get better replies. Your question blends in with the answers and you may not get the answers your after.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I would use a 2 liter plastic soda bottle.

It will collapse under pressure and fail before you leave the dock, keeping the rest of us safe.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

LOL, The original question was about installing a rope steering system and the resurrection question was where to find a drum for a rope steering system.

Yes, and I answered his question about finding a drum, elaborated as to why a coffee can solution wouldn't work, and offered a kind, courteous suggestion for future post etiquette to get better answers. Offering nothing but trollish comments not related to the topic is bad form.
The question was answered, so no need for any more sniping.