• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best 18-20 ft Bowrider? Need help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 18-20 ft Bowrider? Need help

Im going to buy my first boat this winter. Ive looked at all the models, and im very confused. will a v6 in this length save that much fuel? or is the 5.0 or 5.7 better? (gonna be used mainly for skiing, and crusing) Are bayliner boats really that bad? ive been looking at crownline and rinker both seem to be pretty good boats, but you can save a ton of money with the bayliner? any other makes and models i shoudl give a look at?

thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Best 18-20 ft Bowrider? Need help

We have a 19' 8" Monterey and LOVE it.

Comment

The subject of "starter boats" is a common one here,and whenever you compare Bayliner to anything else you will find ALOT of comments from bayliner fans, and from folks who cant stand bayliner. First off, for a beginner just starting out,buying a less expensive boat makes sense,why spend alot of money on a boat that will get abused,not intentionally,of course...its just a novice wont have the experience to properly maintain the "new" boat, 2nd, Bayliner of past,( 80's) wasn't a very good boat,it was poorly built, the powerplant wasn't known for its reliability,all in all it may turn out to be a money pit,Both of your other choices are night and day from bayliner and the prices reflect that, both Crownline & Rinker are excellent boats...as long as they were maintained properly, other good brands include SeaRay - Stingray - Cobalt - Wellcraft - Chaparral -Century - Mariah - Regal, As for power...a 6 cil. will be adiquate, sure a 5.0 will pull better, be faster....but you can do what you want with a 6. Fuel economy, shouldnt be the primary reason for a boat choice,if the first consideration is "ECONOMY" then perhaps boating isn't for you,this hobby,isn't cheap. Good Luck..
      Nec aspera terrent

Comment

you did not say if you are looking new or used. i agree the 4.3 is minimum, you actually will not see alot of fuel difference in the 4.3 and the 5.0 due to the 5.0 not working as hard. as said if economy is what you are looking for, there ain't nuttin cheap about a boat. i am very impressed with the 2008 and 2009 Bayliners, i got to do the tests on the 2008, and Gary H NC, did the test on the 2009's.
        FLORIDA GATORS
        TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
        That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

I think SeaSwirl, is a good reasonably priced boat, like the Bayliner, then there's Glastron, Stingray, Wellcraft, SeaRay, Regal, and Baja (if they're still in business?)
          Last edited by MikDee; September 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have a 18 foot bayliner, 3.0L it works for us. (Ya, don't expect to pull 3 skiers with a loaded boat), but it works, and being a 4 cylinder, gas is not to bad. Like 4003 said, get an inexpensive starter boat. and bayline is one of them.

And BTW, Welcome to the group!
            Chris

Up a river without a DAM lake!

Comment

I pretty much agree with that guy above from ocean isle beach...

a 4.3 is a great middle of the road for a smaller family boat like you're looking for. I would also seriously consider buying something used. Sad to say that they're going to continue to get cheaper as folks feel the crunch of the economy.

right now you could probalby buy a 3-5 year old boat that's in near perfect condition for a fraction of what a new one would be - either getting a lot more boat for the money or doing better on the total budget. I'm sure you could do a great deal on a new one as well - lots of the same boats sitting in the same sales lots at least in the places I drive by on the way to the river...

Although I could be wrong, and I'm VERY sad to say it, i wouldn't be surprised if we see the end of Baja and some others, at least for the time being, in the coming months...

Hope this is helpful.
              Just another moron with a computer and too much time on his hands...

typical rainy afternoon on the river... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Izi3v75jTs

more recent, amateur camera operator for sure!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHoXsQc6644

Comment

I vote for the 19 foot stingray for the following reasons:

Its a light boat and you will get most of the V8 benefits from the v6. You will get the weight of a 17 or 18 in a 19 foot boat, and that extra foot is real nice. When I was looking, it sure seemed to be a good 350-500 lbs lighter. This also gives a lower tow rating.

Its weight capacity allows for 8 adults, versus the 7 most of the other 19-18 foot boats are specified for. It's sure nice to be able to take out another family with you.

The cons of the stringray -- its got a go fast hull that does not like to hold plane at slow speeds. Thus, for a starter boat and water sports, you will need to look at a hydrofoil or trip tabs.

I would avoid the 3.0 unless I was buying new and was looking at the newer 150 HP fuel injected 4 banger. Also, I would pay more and try to find a fuel injected V6.

Lastly, I vote for buying a 2 year old used boat. You can get a great deal on one out there with hardly any hours on it, and the guy or gal who bought the boat with dreams of being a boater which have not materialize usually through in most of all you need to get on the water.
                Fun boat: 2004 Stingray 190LX, Merc 4.3 Carb, Alpha I, SE Sport 300 Hydrofoil, Hi 5
                Ski boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001, Perfect Pass

Comment

Don't rule out an outboard. Modern outboards have many advantages, but they will cost more initially than a similar horsepowe I/O. I believe in the long run they will save you money in reduced and easier maintenance.

Comment

I don't know why they even make big outboards anymore, Most of these manufacturers nowadays don't even offer outboard versions of their boats. The trend is to try to sell you an I/O package for some reason? Maybe they have an agenda to sell a certain brand I/O? I noticed this at a boat show over 10yrs ago. Maybe that's why outboards are so high priced?

Comment

Thanks for the replys fellas. Why wouldnt one be concerend about fuel economy? if a v8 in these boats will do a better job and consume the same amount of fuel as a v6 i think thats a option i need to look at..... i have a fishing boat with an outboard so ive been around the boating world for some time, but ive never owned a ski/pleasure boat. i did forget to mention that im thinking about used boats, cant beat the price, and the boat isnt gonna get "beat"!

Comment

Put fourwinns on the list too.

The 4.3 is the minimum I would consider in a 18' boat. A Fuel injected model would be great if you kind find one.

Comment

This came for a higher up in bayliner, the reason they are not making outboards, is they are own by Brunswick, which also owns Mercury and Mercruiser, also many of the brand boats mentioned. so the are required to use their power. Mercury does not have a reasonably priced, high enough horse powered outboard, so they are having to go I/O, can you imagine, I/O power being cheaper than powering with outboard. but that was his explanation, when is asked the question why they did not offer them in the outboard.
                          FLORIDA GATORS
                          TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                          That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Alrighty then TD, Thanks I can dig it now

Comment

My boat is in the sig
                              2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport
                              4.3L V-6 190 HP
                              65 hours

Comment

Working...
                              X