continuing story 1978 115hp...

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, have rebuilt the fuel lines, tank, and pump. cleaned exterior of carbs, and sprayed carb cleaner in the throats, but havnt rebuilt those. good compression, supposed good spark (guy who checked compression hooked leads up and told me I had good spark)and plugs look good. impeller and foot oil changed, charged battery...and...<br /><br />cranks but wont catch. tried a little starter fluid, coughs but wont catch. <br /><br />questunes...<br />1) do you think this could be timing? timing belt doesnt look 25yrs old, so Im assuming has been replaced. <br />2) starter running to slow to crank it up? but I thought starting fluid would have kicked it thru that. <br />3) do you think I need to replace rotor cap($115)? wires ($20 a peice x 6)? guy said I was getting spark, but I wasnt watching.<br />4) if I replace wires, can I use a set of auto ignition wires (cheaper)? <br />5) should I break down and rebuild carbs? kinda wanted to start her, and use carb cleaner/fuel additives to clean nozzles/carbs.<br /><br />guy I bought it from says it was running all day at the lake in august. he tried in oct, wouldnt catch. now its mine.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: continuing story 1978 115hp...

hello<br /> you have been this far go ahead and do the carbs. if the needle valves are not leaking just buy the gasket kits and clean them out.I would double check the spark. my 150 inline ate a couple triggers over the years. not only has the trigger gotten expensive but its a pain to change. so clean carbs test spark. the timing on that motor can be tested with no running and minimal test equipment. carb cleaners and additives will not work to clean a gummy carb on a twostroke by just running it.<br /> usually a piston will burn long before the carbs clean. good luck and keep posting

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Sundog.<br /><br />Go to the FAQ Forum and do the procedures in "Outboard Wont Start". <br /><br />Then you will have it narrowed to ignition, pumping, compression or fuel system. <br /><br />Come back and tell us what you found. We can be a lot more help then.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Rodbolt and JB. Ill do the carbs, then run thru the wont start FAQ and let you know.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

ps. use a squirt bottle of pre-mix, not starting<br />fluid with NO LUBE.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey guys. quick questune...havent gotten around to the carbs yet, but checked the spark, and seem to be getting good, strong spark from plugs/ingnition. while checking the plugs, they seemed dry after pumping bulb and trying to turn her over. if carbs/fuel pump were pulling fuel, am I right in assuming the plugs would be wet? and with spark, should be at least coughing? Im thinking more and more its the fuel, carbs or maybe fuel pump (even tho I rebuilt fuel pump...maybe a defective diaphram?) or pickup at the tank (which I didnt check). does that make sense to yall? still planning on going thru full 'no start' scenario.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I would do the carbs first. buy a service manual. preferably the merc factory one. if you mess about very much you will need a carb job and a piston/sleeve job.the 115 was a fine inline but like all inlines it did not tolerate leaning out very well.<br /> good luck and keep us posted. and you have been forewarned. leave the ether alone,

NEECAPRS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SunDog: I've used auto wires on mine and so did another on this site at my advice. If interested, tell me what your cap end terminals are like, especially are they the screwed-in type?

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL! took your advice, Rodman...got a squirt bottle for the carbs. just got my manual, SELOC...seems OK, was hoping for a little more info (such as the mercury switch, which the manual dosnt mention at all). order of events am planning on <br />1) clean and set the carbs<br />2) check fuel pump diaphram, fuel pickup at the tank<br />3) run thru 'engine wont start' forum FAQ sheet<br /><br />will let you know how it goes. am having fun with this engine...its only a matter of time. no 'computer chip' that will cost me an arm and a leg for a mech to tell me it can only be fixed in the shop.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and Nee...thanks and Ill keep that in mind. Im getting good spark, so Ill wait on that until I get this other stuff done.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@#$@ it! Got the carbs off the engine, sit down with my new seloc manual (the "only marine tune-up manuals to be certified by the engine manufacturers as accurate and complete")to clean/rebuild. the carb I have in my hand dosnt look anything like the one in the book. no fuel filter on top of the resevuior, jets in different place, idle nozzel in different place, different kind of float needle etc. etc. I ended up closing the book and taking it apart using common sense. Now I wonder if the float adjustments will be correct. Im sure the manual will make a good booster seat for my 5yr old...<br /><br />questune~ this is kinda an idiotic questune, but they dont make aftermarket carbs for ourboards, do they?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I know what you mean about the seloc manuals.<br />mine covers all 90hp to 300hp, 1965-91.<br />think they tried to cover a little much...<br />if you have the means, get a factory merc manual<br />for your exact year and model. have even seen them<br />at the library.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

should have the carbs on in the next few days (what can I say, I have kids), but if it dosnt fire over, one of the concerns I have is my starter motor (not turning fast enough). I understand its possible to pull start these, but it seems like a lot of engine to start this way. anybody ever tryed to pull start a 115?

walleyehed

Admiral

Use the squirt bottle AND choke the pi$$ out of it, and crank only in short attempts, say no longer than 10 seconds. If it fires, try one more, then give another squirt of premix-keep choking and within about 5 or 6 firings, it SHOULD run if everything is right.....Use very little, if any throttle.

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello everyone. took a couple of months off with other projects, but itll be warm enough here soon, so back at it. <br /><br />am just about ready to start her up. discovered a hydrolic leak in my trim/tilt pump. Ive taken that off and will replace o-rings, but need to know how to bleed system of air before using. anybody know the proceedure? have the old style pump with the 'lock valve' in front, single moter.<br />also, anybody know where I can get new hydrolic lines without paying $40-$60 per line?<br /><br />thanks

IBrokeMyFreakinNeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sundog,<br /><br />Try jumping your boat battery off of your car or truck while trying to start your tower of power. When I first tried to crank mine I had to do this and it worked, even though I had a brand new battery. ALSO keep squeezing that primer bulb, and keep choking it until she cranks.<br />Also, you can order a manual from mercury parts express for $35 plus shipping. <br /><br />Give it a try and good luck.<br /><br />-Billy

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys...ITS ALIVE! started her on muffs this morn...roared to life on the second turnover. thanks to all you guys for the help. still need to adjust the idle, but she sounded very good. <br /><br />next questune~ there wasnt much water comming out of the pee-hole. good water coming out of the vents above the foot, and some wet exhaust. Ive changed the impeller. is this standard? I know pee-hole is just an indication, but on newer models it pisses out, not dribbles. <br /><br />thanks again for the help!

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

This has come up before. I think the suggestion was that you need to wait till it warms up and tstats open.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Dohh !!!!<br /><br />Must have been a V6 post. :(