Waste Holding Tank Question CANT STAY ON LAKE

howe719

Seaman Apprentice
Alright heres my problem. I took my boat up to raystown lake, PA and last year i stayed alot well tonight i took the boat up and i was not going to stay the night but as i was unloading things from my boat into my truck about dark time a range came up and asked if i was going out on the lake for the night and i said i was just leaving. He told me that the new rule was you CANT stay overnight on the lake UNLESS YOUR BOAT has a HOLDING TANK for waste water that is pumped out by the marina. You cant have porta potty or anything else it has to have a holding tank or you get a fine because they have been getting alot of waste in the water.

My question is there anyway to fake them out if i do get stopped. Could i add a door or something that looks like where you suck from the holding tank so they could see i do have one on board or what. anybody have any ideas because i love stayin over night thats the whole point in going out really. I need advice and info thanks alot you guys on this site really help out with information and ideas thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Waste Holding Tank Question CANT STAY ON LAKE

i think you need to find the law or rule where this is stated.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Boatin Bob. Just have a pump out installed or do it yourself. You'll be doing yourself a favor too when the times comes to empty it. Less messy.

howe719

Seaman Apprentice

I do have a porta potty with the screw on caps so i could add lines to it but it would be in the way i think... Does anyone know a site to go to to look at kits... or list everything i would need... I have no problem doing it myself i do all my own work but i would just need to know what to get... I have a small bathroom inside the boat where the porta potty and i think there is room under the floor i could install a holding tank... let me know THANKS

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

You have 2 options:
1. Find another lake
2. Install what the law requires.

Rules is rules.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

LOL!!!

I like #19 ...

19. Did a muskie really eat a poodle :eek: swimming in the lake?

There is no documented proof for this statement that we often receive. However, we don’t recommend that you put a small animal in the water with a shiny, jingly collar in an area that is prime muskellunge habitat.

:D Sorry off topic, couldn't help my self.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The rule states that it has to be "Coast Guard Approved Factory Installed". Did they put that in there to keep people from installing a porta-potti with lines connected to it that could still be removed and dumped? Just thought the words factory installed were odd there.

Chris

howe719

Seaman Apprentice

I am not sure about the factory installed but i am going to try to find a toilet somewhere maybe out of a old motor home or something which bolts to the floor and empties into a tank. I will pay the $50 for a tank and just tear the floor up and install the tank and put the toilet over top of it and run a line for them to pump it out. The whole point in going to that lake is to stay at night its a great time....

Does anyone know where i would have to put the access cap for them to pump out the tank. Could the cap be in the bathroom its self right over top the tank or would i have to run a line and put a cap on the side of the boat somewhere. Thats all i really need to know thanks....

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might want to check but I don't think you need the holding tank. As long as the pump out is connected to the porta-pottie's existing tank.

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not sure about the factory installed but i am going to try to find a toilet somewhere maybe out of a old motor home or something which bolts to the floor and empties into a tank. I will pay the $50 for a tank and just tear the floor up and install the tank and put the toilet over top of it and run a line for them to pump it out. The whole point in going to that lake is to stay at night its a great time....

Does anyone know where i would have to put the access cap for them to pump out the tank. Could the cap be in the bathroom its self right over top the tank or would i have to run a line and put a cap on the side of the boat somewhere. Thats all i really need to know thanks....

I used to have an old camper and the holding tank for it was the toilet setting on top of it. It looked similar to todays rv toilets except it was all one unit. Might be better than cutting up your floor. The other downside to it was it water was from a pressurize tank which if worst case you could just use the water from the lake.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you're going to be hard pressed to wedge a full fledged MSD or conventional head into a 23' boat. Not familiar with the layout of your boat, we had a 20' Excel cuddy and it was extremely cramped for space. We had a porta potty in it but you had to stick your head out the hatch when using it! *lol*

I would venture a guess that if you retrofitted your existing porta potty with the appropriate pump out and vent you'd satisfy USCG regulations. As long as there's no way to pump the contents over the side. IIRC the porta potty has to be semi-permanently installed, meaning that some sort of mechanical fastener requiring a tool to remove it is needed.

Contact your local USCG Auxiliary unit, they can probably point you in the right direction.