Hydrofoil??

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been reading from time to time that hydrofoil is a big "no-no" on a boat. I am now considering taking mine off (came with boat when I bought it) and putting on smart tabs.

I would just like some feedback on this idea from more knowledgeable people. This is my first boat, I keep learning more stuff everyday.

Thanks

Edit:
I have an 88 17' Stingray with a I/O 140hp Mercruiser 3.0

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You will probably see an improvement by taking it off and putting on tabs.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Try taking it off and seeing what your boat handles like. It will take longer getting out of the hole, but check the steering feel, cavitation on turns, and high speed running. Smart tabs will make a difference compared to no foil but it's just money spent if you don't need it. Often a foil will make steering heavier but reduce cavitation on turns. Tabs should not affect the steering or cavitation. If you like the foil, you can easily put it back on.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It would be ventilation he would be experiencing, cavitation is something very different.

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hmm, ok I appreciate all your responses. The main reason I was considering taking it off was because I have been reading it puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the outdrive/stern. I don't know how true that is but it makes sense. Now the actual reason I was looking at smart tabs was because of that reason and also my boat has a pretty serious lean to port side while underway. I was reading that smart tabs could fix that. However I do have a small fin looking trim tab. I have not had a chance to adjust that yet. I noticed it had a slight curve to it. I don't know if that's normal or if previous owners banged it up a bit.

I have not noticed any cavitation or ventilation issues as of yet. I believe I'm gonna go with the suggestion of taking the foil off and see what that does.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
On an I/O they are a bit limited because you can't raise or lower the height of the outdrive like you can on an outboard, so even it could benefit from one there's no way get there. It may help get you on plane, but having it drag in the water all the time can create other odd handling issues and a lower top speed.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I just picked up a little '89 SeaRay 160 with a 4 banger that has one mounted on. I've only had it in the water once but that boat planes out so flat and effortlessly I think I'll leave it on for now. No handling issues noticed so far. My original plans were to remove it and plug the holes. Also running a 19P High Five which is a great prop to wake up a 3.0 as long as you don't care about top speed.

I have zero worries about any additional strain it will put on the outdrive. Mated to a 3.0 an Alpha 1 is pretty bullet proof.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I just picked up a little '89 SeaRay 160 with a 4 banger that has one mounted on. I've only had it in the water once but that boat planes out so flat and effortlessly I think I'll leave it on for now. No handling issues noticed so far. My original plans were to remove it and plug the holes. Also running a 19P High Five which is a great prop to wake up a 3.0 as long as you don't care about top speed.

I have zero worries about any additional strain it will put on the outdrive. Mated to a 3.0 an Alpha 1 is pretty bullet proof.

Sometimes they work out well and the owner likes the results.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I am now considering taking mine off (came with boat when I bought it) and putting on smart tabs.

I would just like some feedback on this idea from more knowledgeable people. This is my first boat, I keep learning more stuff everyday.

Thanks

Edit:

I did exactly that on a 16' aluminum fish 'n ski with 90 Yamaha I owned for awhile. It had a foil on it when I bought it. It always seemed slow out of the hole and I didn't like the way it handled at speed (twitchy). I took it off and mounted Smart Tabs for $100. HUGE improvement. Fast out of the hole, way less bow rise and a good solid feel at speed.

Is there a running issue that needs correction, or do you just want to play around? Either way, auto adjusting tabs are a fairly cheap way to try something different.

My .02

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Sometimes they work out well and the owner likes the results.

How well a foil works is really dependent on the boat. They work great so some and not so on others. The best advice is to run the boat with & without the foil and then make a decision based on owner preference. I plan to keep the Stingray foil on my 160 for now but I may at some point take it off and see how the boat runs without it. For my situation I won't be spending time or money installing Smart Tabs but that may be a good option for the OP.

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did exactly that on a 16' aluminum fish 'n ski with 90 Yamaha I owned for awhile. It had a foil on it when I bought it. It always seemed slow out of the hole and I didn't like the way it handled at speed (twitchy). I took it off and mounted Smart Tabs for $100. HUGE improvement. Fast out of the hole, way less bow rise and a good solid feel at speed.

Is there a running issue that needs correction, or do you just want to play around? Either way, auto adjusting tabs are a fairly cheap way to try something different.

My .02

real running issues other than the lean to port side while underway. I believe I can fix that with the trim tab on the outboard. I haven't had a chance to adjust that yet.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
real running issues other than the lean to port side while underway. I believe I can fix that with the trim tab on the outboard. I haven't had a chance to adjust that yet.

Trim tab won't affect that... ALL the trim tab does is trim your steering wheel trim, so you won't have to constantly fight the engine to go in a relatively straight line.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've been reading from time to time that hydrofoil is a big "no-no" on a boat. I am now considering taking mine off (came with boat when I bought it) and putting on smart tabs.

Thanks

Edit:
I have almost the same boat and putting on a Doelfin hydrofoil was the bestest thing I ever did in 50 years of boating. Don't believe all you read. I do agree that they work on some boats and not others, but a Stingray really needs one.

Smart tabs are great too. They could be a better answer, if you are willing to spend the extra bucks. When you drill the 12 holes thru your transom, just be sure you did it right or you'll rot out the transom. The 4 holes thru your outdrive won't even be noticable.

After experiencing the positive results with the Doelfin, they eventually got installed on 3 of our other family boats as well. Gotta love the improved performance.

On the other hand, my old woodie didn't need one. The performance of wood and the superior design engineers back in the day made boats better in the golden age of boating.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Take it off, run it then decide after more research. Any more reading is useless until you do this. I believe it will correct your list just by removing.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Take it off, run it then decide after more research. Any more reading is useless until you do this. I believe it will correct your list just by removing.
The list is from propeller torque. A fin won't correct it or cure it. Neither will a tab, unless the tabs are individually adjustable hydraulic ($$$).

Agreed, take it off and compare before and after rpm, gps speed and perceived performance.

Fishingaddict88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok great I will give it a try next time i get a chance. So basically though I just have to live with the lean to portside? Unless I want to shell out some cash? Thanks again!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The bolt holes are a non issue in fresh water, if you run in salt water you may want to fill them only because of the raw aluminum.