• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a planer board mast.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a planer board mast.

I am currently building a planer board mast so I can do some Lake Ontario brown trout fishing next spring and then later on some steelhead hunting.
    I have built the boards and currently the mast is being worked on.
    For the board lines I want to use the reels of Cannon mini-troll down riggers.They have a good braking system and every revolution is a foot of line.They even have a good handle.
    I took one off an old minitroll that I had laying around,but now I am looking for a second reel.
    If you have a mini troll laying around that you don't use or that is damaged but still has a good reel, handle and brakes,can you please send me a pm?
    Thank you, rolmops.
    Make sure the plug is in

Re: building a planer board mast.

I do have a EasI Troll I will that work let me know and will pm you. It is a older model all works good just can't use on boat I have now......

Comment

Pretty common to see old big game reels used as planer take-up reels as well. Fairly cheap and a lot smaller than down rigger wheels
      Grady White 226
      200 Evinrude Ocean Pro
      Evinrude Renegade Offshore Prop

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
      Garmin 4208 Multifunction Display
      ICOM M504A VHF
      Shakespeare Galaxy 5225-XT Antennas

Comment

you at a point of posting pictures yet? Just curious- I made one all homemade including reels which I need to modify and thought maybe I might get ideas from you!
        Clean feet are happy feet; same for boats.
        1964 MFG Niagara Deluxe
        1969 MFG Edinboro

Comment

Here are the plans that I am using.They are not designed by me.They are off the Lake Ontario United web site.
          Attached Files
          Make sure the plug is in

Comment

oops double post
            Make sure the plug is in

Comment

Originally posted by rolmops View Post
              Here are the plans that I am using.They are not designed by me.They are off the Lake Ontario United web site.
              Yes- those are the same boards I built.

My only comment is that I made mine of Eastern White Pine and spar varnished them 3 coats- look good and worked fairly well, but they need a little lead flashing nailed on the keels to keep them from jumping out of the water.

I actually didn't run them this year - only ran in-line boards but I MUCH prefer the simplicity of the yellow Offshore shower-curtain-hook-style planer board releases on planer mast boards cuz you can stack so many rods on them (or should I say spread, not stack) and just run out spare releases when you get a release. Then after a few fish, reel in the boards, retrieve your releases, and start again.

Using the Cannon reels will save you from R&D, which is what making my own reels feels like.
              1964 MFG Niagara Deluxe
              1969 MFG Edinboro

Comment

Here in NY we can only fish with 2 rods per person,and since I mostly fish solo I don't think that I will ever have a (legal) spread on there.I mostly want to use the boards in early spring when the browns and the Cohos are very close into the shore (5 feet depth) and the boat would just chase them away.Now with 150 feet of planer line out they will never see me come.
                Make sure the plug is in

Comment

Originally posted by dingbat View Post
                  Pretty common to see old big game reels used as planer take-up reels as well. Fairly cheap and a lot smaller than down rigger wheels
                  What kind of line do people use with that type of setup? I like the idea
                  sigpic
                  '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
                  12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
                  Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Originally posted by Huron Angler View Post
                    a lot of commercial setups use 130 pound+ test braided stainless, but what I have and a friend suggested was 80# fluorescent green or orange monofilament. This is sufficient for this size planer board AND it gives some shock absorption. Some have commented that they would be worrying about losing equipment (boards) but boards float and I would rather break the line than rip the mast off my boat or heel it over and founder if I get messed up. Two years with these boards and no woopsies.
                    1964 MFG Niagara Deluxe
                    1969 MFG Edinboro

Comment

Here in NY we can only fish with 2 rods per person,and since I mostly fish solo I don't think that I will ever have a (legal) spread on there
                      That is why {we** are always looking for guest boaters

We can legally run two lines per angler in most Vermont waters, but to really have an educational outing and good width as well as depth coverage we need to see six or eight lines out. Planer boards and dipseys allow it.

So you need any guest boaters this spring? You won't even have to provide and set up the tackle. Hehe.
                      1964 MFG Niagara Deluxe
                      1969 MFG Edinboro

Comment

Michigan now allows three rods per person

After many years of running sliders to get more hooks in the water legally.

With two on board we can now run six poles, 4 on downriggers(with sliders if we want to tempt tangles) and two on planer boards...cover an awful lot of water

I will be getting my SS ready for planer boards and downriggers this spring, hopefully I can finish my restoration and have money left over for gear
                        sigpic
                        '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
                        12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
                        Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

I just burned a set of those a month or so ago. Way to small for my use. Doubt they would perform very well even in flat water. Too buoyant. Need to use larger lumber (1" x 8" or 10") if they are to be used in anything but a flat day
                          Grady White 226
                          200 Evinrude Ocean Pro

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                          ICOM M504A VHF

Comment

Originally posted by Huron Angler View Post
                            Typically 200-250# braided line (Power Pro) if running "small" boards. Could get away with a lot less depending on the size of your boards.

A lot of guys like myself are running "small rowboats" (3-board, 1" x 12" x 36" lg.) as planers use either 0.095" or 0.105" string trimmer line. I run 125 foot long x 0.095" lines on mine and use an extention cord reel to store them.

Then there are the guys that run bigger yet. Note the (white) planer sitting on the dock with the extention cord reel between them.

Grady White 226
                            200 Evinrude Ocean Pro

Furuno FCV 587 Sounder
                            ICOM M504A VHF

Comment

So far the planer boards that I built with these plans work fine for me.I don't have any trouble with wave action and,because of their size, I barely have room to store them on my boat.
                              If I would use the large one shown on your picture,I would need to tow a small sloop behind my boat to store them!
                              Make sure the plug is in

Comment

Working...
                              X