40Hp Yamaha made Mariner bogging down

Joed1978

Cadet
So I wanted to post my story in hopes that it could help others with the same issues. In early last March I bought a 16' 1983 Malibu with a 40hp 2 stroke 2 cylinder Mariner. Other than an issue with having to locate my prop at the bottom of Lake Monroe, luckily near the boat ramp, on it's maiden voyage it ran great! I then wanted to replace the plugs but had no info and the plugs in the motor were two different types, no help there. So I found the right ones, with help from this forum in locating the serial numbers since I couldn't read the info plate on the motor bracket. The boat then began to have issues bogging down at high speeds/Rpms. So after many discussions with my friend we believed it to be fuel related. So the journey began....I replaced everything including the tank all the way to the fuel pump, but still same issue. Next was the fuel pump, so I then replaced the pump with the gasket between the motor and pump but still nothing...so then I went in to look at the carbs which means removing the starter and noticed that the gasket between the fuel pump and motor wasn't installed correctly so I fixed it and since the starter was out I replaced the fuel line from the pump to the carbs with lines from an auto store. Took the boat out and still had same problem. Then I noticed that the tee, that split the fuel line in two to connect to each carb, was weighing down the bottom line going to the bottom carb and pinching the line shut....I then bought thicker o.d. Fuel line and now the boat runs like a champ!!In the begining it was air at connections and it was a bad fuel pump but along the way I created more problems that gave the exact same symptoms making me think that maybe it wasn't a fuel issue. Hope this somehow helps.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 40Hp Yamaha made Mariner bogging down

Never thought id see that happening... interesting

Joed1978

Cadet

Line pinching shut below the tee

Gotcha. Well as I mentioned I bought the fuel lines from an automotive parts store and the lines were fairly thin and the weight of the barbed tee pinched the hose. So I replaced them with thicker o.d. hoses but I have found that if I hit a series of wakes and my boat bounces and causes the thicker hose to pinch also but just barely. I am now going to replace the lines with stainless steel tubing.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

why not use the parts that the manufacturer recommends ands sell for the job

Joed1978

Cadet

why not use the parts that the manufacturer recommends ands sell for the job

My motor is a Yamaha made Mariner and just to find the part number is a mission in it's self not to mention finding a place online or local to purchase the part. Plus asking for help from Yamaha or Mercury is like pulling teeth, they both treat the motor as if it were an unwanted child. So rather than spending days or even weeks,if not longer, trying to find the exact part I will improvise. I will only do so on something like a hose, I bought my fuel pump and filters from two local boat shops. I was lucky with the fuel pump because the shop had it in stock but I had to order the fuel filter. Besides I get the stainless tubing for free from work and I think it would be an upgrade, would you agree?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

You will just end up with a lot of unnecessary connections transferring from SS to hose and onto the pump, tees, and carbs as they do not accept screw on connections for the SS tubing

Just my thoughts

And stealing from your employer is never good

Joed1978

Cadet

You will just end up with a lot of unnecessary connections transferring from SS to hose and onto the pump, tees, and carbs as they do not accept screw on connections for the SS tubing

Just my thoughts

And stealing from your employer is never good

See I've thought it through and I'll use a piece of fuel rated hose to make the connection, using ss hose clamps, like a rubber boot on the connection on the out going side of the fuel pump and at both connections at the carbs. I'm not in the business of "Jerry rigging" anything but I believe this would be an upgrade, however, if it doesn't work well then no harm no foul and I'll track down the part number and then the parts.

The materials are left overs that we used to toss in the garbage but since I took over we keep it and use them in small projects and for
any of our guys that want it for home projects.

I appreciate the advice.

Joed1978

Cadet

Here's an update that hopefully will help some of you. The new fuel lines didn't help and two fuel pumps later didn't help either. So I broke down and took the carbs apart and low and behold there it is in the bottom carb...the float was saturated and needed to be replaced so I replaced the float in both carbs and now it runs like a champ.