'84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint SPLASHED

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: '84 Wellcraft Repairs and Paint

Hey Arch, looks like you've been making progress on your boat. Looks awesome. What kind of paint did you use? Looks slicker than snot. I'll be at Eufaula this weekend, don't know if I'll get on the water, but we might go out and do a little fishin.

BigBoatinOkie

Progress has been pretty pathetic lately, not really enough to be worth taking a picture of. I've been thinking ahead about how I'm going to design and build the rear seating, sun deck, and side panels. I'm planning on building a bench seat and I would like to make it either removable or have it hinged in the front so it can be tilted away from the engine. I've never built boat furniture before so if anyone has any insights, pictures, or design ideas, lay 'em on me. I'm also not sure how I'm going to construct the padded side panels. I don't have anything to go by because I hated the layout of the boat before and I threw all of it away. I'd really like to see some pictures if anyone has any to share of their interiors. Thanks. I will have more progress and pics soon, I promise.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

So far my experience has been go to to the upholstery shop......quiz them....buy some cheap plywood and card board.....just keep whittling till you get something that works....I'm getting close, hopefully I will get it ironed out this week. get it in gear, snow today, summer tomorrow!:D:D

BigBoatinOkie

Well here's where I'm at so far on the transom. It has taken about 6 hrs work with chisel and hammer to get this far. Taking out a not so rotten transom is a real pain in the neck. My plan is to just cut around the stringers to avoid having to take them out too. I've debated about using nida-core or seacast for the transom, but I've heard that it adds quite a bit of weight. This boat is quite stern-heavy as it is so I'd hate to add to that. On the other hand, I'd really like to have something that isn't susceptible to water damage at least around the outdrive hole. I guess wood has been used for a lot longer that anything else. Anyway, here is a couple of pics.

100_1387.jpg

100_1388.jpg

Last edited:

BigBoatinOkie

Got my stereo system delivered today. Woohoo. Check it out. Cd player w/remote, four 5 1/2 dual cone speakers, two 8 inch subwoofers, 400 watt amp. Should be pretty decent sound for a little 18 ft. boat.

100_1390.jpg

Last edited:

BigBoatinOkie

Finally got the transom out. Man that was a real chore. I just about have it ready to accept the new transom. As you can see, I dicided not to cut around the stringers. I just cut the stringers back about a foot and a half and will scab some new ones on at a 45 degree angle and reglass them. I was wondering if it's best to use epoxy or construction adhesive to attach the new transom to the inside of the fiberglass. I've seen both, do any of you prefer one over the other?

100_1391.jpg

100_1392.jpg

Last edited:

Friscoboater

Captain

Looks like where I was somewhere is December. I feel your pain. It will all be over soon.

BigBoatinOkie

I'm thinking the worst part is over. Hope I'm right.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Its all down hill from there! You'll be happy you did it right when its done!

BigBoatinOkie

Got the wood for the new transom fitted today. I just used a sheet of foam to do a mock up, then traced it on the plywood. Nothin fancy. Here's some pics.

100_1394.jpg

100_1393.jpg

I really wanted to get it glued in and do the fillets, but I couldn't find my silica flour to thicken the epoxy. Guess I'll have to order some and wait another week. I have no idea where to buy such a thing in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good so far. Is that one sheet or have you already laminated sheets together?

BigBoatinOkie

There are two sheets there, but I haven't laminated them yet.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Nice idea with the foam template :cool: looking good!!!

BigBoatinOkie

I didn't realize until today that the transom is supposed to be 2" to 2.25". The transom I tore out was two layers of 3/4" plus the 1/4 outer skin plus about 1/8 inner skin for a total of about 1 7/8 inch. So I guess I need to add a layer of 1/4 ply. That would be cheaper than building it up with fiberglass, but would building up with fiberglass result in a stonger transom? Also, shouldn't the drive shaft have bottomed out in the coupler? Your thoughts.

BigBoatinOkie

When I cut out the stringers to get the transom out they were a little wet. Not rotten yet, but pretty wet. I guess I better do something about that. I've been thinking about what method I want to do. How do yall feel about the pourable products ie. seacast or nida-core? What about a high density foam? U.S. Composites has a 16 lb. density pourable foam that is pretty hard. Wood is definately the cheapest and I'm not opposed to it at all, but I would like to explore the options. What to yall think?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm real happy with the seacast, but its pricey. To me it depends on how long you are planning on having the boat....I'm planning on keeping mine for a long time so I opted for the seacast and seacast transom. Since you are going with the wood transom, I think I would stick with wood for the stringers too. I will say the seacast is a lot stronger than wood.

BigBoatinOkie

Thanks arch. I'm leaning toward wood, but the pourable stuff sure would be easy. I haven't really checked prices yet, so I wasn't sure how pricey it is. Actually the stringers would probably be fine like they are for the time I have the boat. They are a little wet but still quite solid, I just didn't want to put in a brand new transom and brand new deck with marginal stringers.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'd go with wood, the pourable stuff is a little more complicated that it sounds and get out your wallet!

BigBoatinOkie

You reckon I can just cut the tops off the stringers, clean out the old wood, slip some new wood in coated with resin, and re-glass the the tops?

I was also wondering about the fuel tank location. This boat is quite stern heavy, especially if anyone is sitting in the rear seat. There is about 16" of empty space in front of where the tank currently sits. Do you think it make the boat more balanced if I shifted it forward, or would 16" not make much of a difference? Or is that something I shouldn't fiddle with? It's a 30 gal tank.

103_1346-1.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I guess you could try it, but I'm not sure how much it will help. I think that's about 210 pounds of fuel when its full. Might be worth a try if it isn't a lot of work. Sounds reasonable on the stringers, but you might research some of the guys on here who replaced wood ones that way.