Volvo 3.0 Stalls at Idle

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bought a bowrider recently with a 3.0 Volvo Penta I/O. I had it tuned up and it runs well but will stall out at idle...especially when throttling down. I can start the boat and get it to idle, but after running it, it will stall out. Unless I am careful and play with the throttle, I am dead in the water.

I assume it is the carburetor but not sure where to go next. The boat was bought at repo so I assume sat for a while. I have run gas treatment twice in the tank but it did not seem to help.

I am not very mechanically inclined so looking what to have done next. Buy a rebuilt carb (dont want to try and rebuild myself) or should I have a mechanic see if they can figure it out

Thanks for suggestions.

TheGKnot

Recruit
Re: Volvo 3.0 Stalls at Idle

Will be watching this thread, having close to if not the same issue/problem. 2007 Chaparral volvo penta 3.0 and new to threads. starts fine, idols out 15 mins fine, jumps up on plane etc. when i drop down to idol or nuetral it hits 900rpm then 8 then 6 etc and stalls out. i wait a few mins and it starts right back up idols and runs then stalls out at idol again. befor starting to work on it was hoping for some suggestions. thanks

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am not very mechanically inclined so looking what to have done next. Buy a rebuilt carb (dont want to try and rebuild myself) or should I have a mechanic see if they can figure it out

let a mechanic see. the holley 2300 carb on ?our volvo is very good and rebuildable , it might be as simple as adjusting idle mixture and idle rpm . in most cases there is no need to buy another carb. you have the engine room blower switched on ?

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have adjusted both the idle and the idle mixture screw without any success. I have the blower turned on when I start the engine but then turn off. Would that make a difference?

MikDee

Banned

It appears as though your fuel flow is not consistent. Can I assume you checked your fuel filter/water separator? Next, check the fuel tank vent, make sure it's clean, & working. Next check your fuel tank pickup tube screen, & anti-siphon valve while you're there.

kevinwburke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tips. Are there any sticky threads for tutorials on the above on this forum?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have the blower turned on when I start the engine but then turn off. Would that make a difference?

some boats have small engine bays where it gets really hot inside after a ride and the engine simply struggels to get fresh cool air. the engine blower sucks the hot air out and so forces fresh air in on the other side - it might help , i would test it .