Outdrive paint

penske

Cadet
Can anyone share info regarding volvo penta outdrive paint? I have a 1998 Four Winns Horizon 4.3 gl with a Volvo Penta Outdrive ( grey ) which has faded over the years, The boat is run in fresh water only and stored out of the water when not running. I plan on wet sanding, priming, then painting it to restore the new look. Are the Krylon/Rustoleum engine types ok for this or is there something on the market that is better?

1998 Volvo Penta 4.3 gl Model # 432BPBYC Drive Unit #3868720 Transon #3868413

Love Lake Norman in Mooresville NC

Thanks

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Outdrive paint

Can anyone share info regarding volvo penta outdrive paint? I have a 1998 Four Winns Horizon 4.3 gl with a Volvo Penta Outdrive ( grey ) which has faded over the years, The boat is run in fresh water only and stored out of the water when not running. I plan on wet sanding, priming, then painting it to restore the new look. Are the Krylon/Rustoleum engine types ok for this or is there something on the market that is better?

Thanks

My suggestion is, if the drive isn't all corroded and such leave it alone. You will be doing nothing but making more work for yourself down the road when some of the paint doesn't stick.If you do it, use zinc chromate primer. It is made for aluminum. West marine sells it. I used Duragloss compound on it and shines like a babys butt.Yes Lake Norman is a nice place. I would like to move there. My sister lives over in Garner

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use the paint from Volvo Penta. The colour will be a correct match. Make sure you scuff the existing paint so the new paint will stick. Any bare spots of aluminum need to be primed with Zinc Chromate primer.

penske

Cadet

Thanks to Thalasso and bnicov.........I may just leave it alone for awhile but if it gets too ugly I will use bnicov's suggestions.

penske

Cadet
May 25th, 2012, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by penske View Post

Thanks

My suggestion is, if the drive isn't all corroded and such leave it alone. You will be doing nothing but making more work for yourself down the road when some of the paint doesn't stick.If you do it, use zinc chromate primer. It is made for aluminum. West marine sells it. I used Duragloss compound on it and shines like a babys butt.Yes Lake Norman is a nice place. I would like to move there. My sister lives over in Garner

Assault Squadron NINE
River Assault Division NINETY-ONE-1966

[h=2][/h]
  • bnicov
    Petty Officer 1st Class

petty_officer_1st_class.gif

May 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Use the paint from Volvo Penta. The colour will be a correct match. Make sure you scuff the existing paint so the new paint will stick. Any bare spots of aluminum need to be primed with Zinc Chromate primer.

[h=2][/h]

jbcurt00

Staff member
?penske, not sure that posted the way you intended ^^^