volvo gxi 5.0 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddhi

Cadet
Hello,
My name is Barry and I am new to the forum. I am hoping maybe I can get some help on a little problem I am having.

I have a 2005 5.0 GXI. The other day I was coming in off the water, when all of a sudden the motor just shut off with no alarms. The motor cranks over, but there is no spark. I have checked all of the obvious stuff like kill switch, fuses, power, looked for broken or disconnected wires, etc. We I turn on the key the low oil pressure alarm comes on like normal and when I turn the motor over the tach rises a 100rpm or so. One thing I did notice once I put it on the hose to troubleshoot was that the raw water pump housing (right at the pulley) was leaking really bad. I tore it apart and it looks like the o-ring is bad. My question: Is there a sensor for water level or pressure that might have killed the spark to save the motor? I do not have spark on any of my cylinders, so whatever it is was an abrupt failure or engine saving precaution. I have tried to start the motor then next day as well thinking maybe it was something that need to cool off. When the motor shut down the engine temp was in normal range as well.

I did try and make a MEFI scan tool with the instruction I found on offshoreonly.com. I have a MEFI 4. However once I connected everything and turned on the key the led just went out. So either that test is invalid and I need a correct scan tool or there is another problem causing it to not flash.

Well I hope I have given enough info. If you have any questions please just ask and I will provide everything I can.

Thanks in advance for the help,
-Barry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo gxi 5.0 problem

What is the letter/s following the 5.0GXi ? That is what tells us what model it is.
No, there isn't any switch in the pump to shut the engine off. NOTHING is designed to shut the engine completely off for any reason.

siddhi

Cadet

thanks for the reply. It is GXI-E. That is what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure before I started looking to deeply. It was very abrupt how quickly it shut off.
-B

Don S

When you turn on the ignition switch to the run position, does the fuel pumps run for 2 seconds and stop?

siddhi

Cadet

Yes, the fuel pump does run and stop. I should have mentioned that. I tested for spark on all of the cylinders with a spark tester and I do not get any spark on any cylinders.

Thanks,
-B

Don S

I don't know why, and I run into this a lot here. There is no wiring diagram for the GXi -E engines. Got them for D and F and both are completely different setups so hang in there, it takes me a while to find little specs from 15 different manuals.

You should have a box on the top of your engine that has fuses and relays in it. Have you checked those fuses? Do you have the owners manual for your engine? If not, go to the link below and download one.
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Don S

Assuming you have the box, and it's shaped like the one below. Swap relays C and D in the picture below and see if spark comes back.
D is a spare relay that will work for the fuel pumps or the ignition.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4.3GXi-E.jpg
    4.3GXi-E.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 15

siddhi

Cadet

Thanks Don,
I do have the fuse box like that one. I have checked all of the fuses but I did not check the relays. I will try swapping the the C and D relays and I will report back. Also I do have a repair manual for the motor. Thanks for the help.
-B

siddhi

Cadet

Ok, I swapped the c and d relays, but there still is no spark. I have a seloc manual for my motor but it does not have a wiring diagram for my motor. I am guessing the next step is to make sure I have power to all the components and make sure everything has the correct ohms.
-B

Don S

Is is one of these show how your igntion relay is layed out? Just click the thumbnail below.

Attachments

• Relays.jpg
    Relays.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 9

Don S

I would try removing the relay, and with a digital meter (not a test light) check between terminals 85 (ground) and 86 (power) and see if you show voltage when the key is on. If there is, we can assume it's actually activating the relay.

Since the relay wouldn't be the problem, that would lead to sensors for the cam, crank, giving signals to the ECM so the ECM knows what to say to the coil so it knows when to fire, and if something happened in those circuits, you are going to need to get the engine hooked up to a diagnostic computer to find out. Or go broke swapping out electrical parts you can't return to see if you hit on the problem.

Without a wiring diagram, and only spotty info for that engine model, I don't have a clue what to tell you from here. It's one thing to trace wiring out on engine when it's right in front of you, But from here .................... no way. Sorry I can't be of more help.

siddhi

Cadet

Thanks Don for all the help. I plan to get into it good over the weekend. I will check out your suggestions first.
-B

siddhi

Cadet

Does anyone know what the correct ohms are for the coil? I have power to the coil and ignition module. But I do not get any spark out of the coil. Is there a way to test the ignition module and the pickup in the distributor? I guess if it is not any of those three it would have to be the ECU.
thanks,
-B

Don S

Here is the manual for the A-D models of EFI engines. http://www.4shared.com/office/cfN9HVF3/7742218_EFI_Diagnostics.html

You will need to follow the PFI sections, just be careful you don't get stuck in the 8.1 sections.
I don't even know if the pin numbers are the same as yours or not. The wiring diagrams are different for sure, but this is the manual that Volvo says is for your engine on their site.

siddhi

Cadet

Great Thanks Don! You always seem to have a quick answer. I will try it out and see.
-Barry

siddhi

Cadet

He Dons,
I talked with my local service volvo service tech and he said that the 5.0 gxi-e has basically the same wiring as the gxi-j model. Do you happen to have any wiring diagrams for the -J model by chance? Or is this one just as elusive as the -E?
-Barry

Don S

Don't see how the wiring diagrams could be even close to the same, two completely different ECM's and electrical boxes, plus the hookup to the helm is with a 14 pin harness on the J, and you have a 10. Then there are additional sensors your E model doesn't even have.

I think they were politely telling you they weren't going to help you fix your boat for free.

siddhi

Cadet

LOL, That could be true, however it does confirm why I never take my boats to them. I have lived here for 40 years and my only experiences with them has always been bad. It does not surprise me that he told me wrong information. Unfortunately, they are about the only game for Volvo in town so I thought I would ask them. The funny thing is he was excited about talking to me about the boat and I had (at the time) agreed to take it to them for their diagnosis. I guess I will not be taking it to them now.

I have been doing some searching on this site about troubleshooting it since I cannot find a wiring diagram. I found this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=320755 where you (post#2) put up a basic troubleshooting diagram for the ignition. I would like to test the pick-up coil in the distributor, but when I pulled the plug off the distributor I did not see a wht/grn wire that I could strike to ground to see if I get a spark. How do I go about figuring out which of the different color wires are the sense wire that goes to the ignition control module that tells the coil to spark? Or is there another way to manually make the coil spark without going through the ignition coil? I have 2 pink/wht stripe wires and 1 grey wire (in the middle of the 2 pink) coming out of the plug for the coil. one of the pink wires has 12v when the key is on. can I charge the coil and collapse the field to register a spark with a spark tester without it being on the boat?

One last thing. The guy from from the local dealer said that motor has a crankshaft sensor that is by the harmonic balancer that can come unplugged and make the motor lose spark. Is this accurate information?

I hope all of that was understandable. I am sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The next closest dealer is 2.5 hrs away and I really do not want to have to pull it over there to have someone look at it. So I really appreciate your help so far.

Thanks,
-Barry

Don S

I have been doing some searching on this site about troubleshooting it since I cannot find a wiring diagram. I found this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=320755 where you (post#2) put up a basic troubleshooting diagram for the ignition.

That's for a Mercruiser, Merc makes it's own ignition system and you have nothing like that.

I would like to test the pick-up coil in the distributor, but when I pulled the plug off the distributor I did not see a wht/grn wire that I could strike to ground to see if I get a spark

That is because you don't have all that stuff in your distributor.

One last thing. The guy from from the local dealer said that motor has a crankshaft sensor that is by the harmonic balancer that can come unplugged and make the motor lose spark. Is this accurate information?

It's possible, look and see. There is information in the diagnostic manual I gave you a link to on checking it.
You need to spend some time in that manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.