NEW Boat Warranty out of State

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
I have a warranty question. If I bought a NEW boat out of state and it has a warranty problem on the hull. I can just take it to the local dealer with no questions ask right?

I also read something on another site about a new boat 20hr warranty check? I'm not sure what this is referring to. Maybe someone can clarify?

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer
Re: NEW Boat Warranty out of State

I would think that any dealer selling the boat brand should help with any warranty issues. But then I have never that problem.

20hrs - Typically it is for new 4 stroke engines. 20 hours, then every 100 hours afterward. At least for mine.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We bought a new boat last year. The warranty that comes with the boat will give you the details. I would suggest reading it before buying the boat. Some warranties are better than others.

Also, some dealers may not be equipped to fix problems with the hull, especially if it is aluminum. The boat may need to be shipped back to the factory. If you find a problem, be sure to find out beforehand if the warranty covers the problem and who will pay for shipping. If you ship it back and the factory determines that the problem with the hull was caused by you, then you will be expected to pay not only for the repair, but for the shipping, as well.

So, once again, be sure to read the warranty before buying the boat.

Regarding the 20-hour warranty check on the engine, that is news to me. Our new Mercury 115hp 4-stroke has certain maintenance items that must be performed at certain intervals, but nothing in the form of a warranty check. Moreover, there's nothing that says I have to have a Mercury dealer do the work, but I took it to our selling dealer anyway last fall for the 100-hour service and winterizing because I value the service receipt they then provided and that is kept in my 3-ring binder for the boat.

Just curious, though; why are you going out of state if there are closer dealers to where you live?

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I'm saving 30% off the cost by buying out of state. Thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to read the warranty issue.

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

where you buy the boat has no real bearing on warranty work. local shops will be happy to get the work as they get paid by head office for warranty work. its the same to them.most warranty when i was looking at boats have the boat shipped back to the factory for hull work on aluminum hull boats. i dunno bout fiberglass since i wasnt looking at them as an option.