Volvo aq130D NO Spark I'm thinking the COIL..

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Everyone.

I replaced the spark plugs, Replaced the gas filter, and oil filter. Then did a oil change on the engine and checked all the connections and as half assed as the pervious owner left them I cleaned them up taped them for future cleanup. I got the enging to turn over now but no fire. I checked the spark plugs and no spark.. So I got down to the coil which is a BOSCH 0221122006 COIL. I not sure how to test it but I unplugged the main cable that ran to the distributor and got a friend to turn the key and I held the cable near ground.. NO SPARK.. Tested with a light and multimeter and I had 12v to the + side of the coil. I did read somewhere that you could test the coil but you would need to know the resistance so it can be measured on a multi meter.

Anything else I should do ?? Different ways of testing etc ??

P.S. HAPPY EASTER!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo aq130D NO Spark I'm thinking the COIL..

Ayuh,... replace the Points...

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... replace the Points...
Im guessing your thinking the coil is working ?

Arn't the points after the coil ? in the distributer ? Can I hook a spark plug to the coil wire and get a spark ??

HottyMotty

Recruit

You will want to verify that the points/condenser wire is not grounded-shorted out, the points in the distributor give the coil ground while closed & when open cause the coil to fire, don't adjust the points without knowing the proper gap, this will cause other issues, but you can turn the engine to an area of the contact points being closed, (this is verified by removing the dist cap and looking at the points while turning engine by hand) then turn on the key to power up the coil, and with a well insulated device break the contact points open, there should be a small spark from the points & a big one from the coil, also check if the points are clean & dry, any short or grounded wires on this side of the coil will cause it to not fire. There must be a "break" in the ground line on the coil to trigger the spark discharge, no break, no sparky. Hope this helps you.

Bondo

Staff member

Arn't the points after the coil ?

Ayuh,... The points are the primary circuit trigger, they Fire the coil...

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

or a new coil for this engine is roughly 30-50 bucks... but thats the last option :p

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... The points are the primary circuit trigger, they Fire the coil...

Alright well a New set of points and some screwing with guage for the distributor which I set to 0.016 I believe on the low point ????

I tried to turn it over and nothing.. I checked the coil and holly f.. it was so hot I THOUGHT it was going to melt itself Im thinking thats not to normal ??? Took it all apart and changed some wires and VROOOMMM!! She fired up and purred .. The coil is still hot but it starts like a dream..

1. Its sitting at 60 for oil pressure and drops to 40 ish in neutral.
2. In idle it sitting at about 900 to 1000 rpm
3. Fuel gauge is stickey .. Had to tap it before it showed something .
4. Does the leg take the same oil as the engine ??
5. Tilt is all working..
6. Need to figure out why trim tabs arn't working..Probley a wiring thing..

I have to say thank you , thank you , thank you to everyone for there expert help and I do appreciate everything..

Bondo

Staff member

which I set to 0.016 I believe on the low point ????

Ayuh,... Points are set, when Open, on the tip of the point, not at the bottom of the flat...

Maclin

Admiral

...after setting the points check dwell and adjust them again as necessary, then set timing...all this in the stickies at the top of this forum I believe...

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear that you've got it running. It's pretty exciting to hear a "new to you" boat roar to life :D. Now is the time to start looking at everything very closely to make sure there are no leaks or rattles and all the adjustments are correct.

The idle sounds about right and is what you'd expect in neutral and out of the water. Outdrive oil is the same as engine oil. 10w30 or straight 30 wt works fine. Oil pressure, dwell, timing, and all the other specs are in the maintenance manual. Specs start on page 45. You didn't say anything about temp. I'm assuming you're running on the muffs. If so, and it warms up and doesn't overheat, sound like you have adequate flow.

The outdrive is very robust and there are many or these out there that are going strong after 30+ years of use. BUT, you MUST perform the maintenance on the outdrive and related components if you want it to work for you. Check the maunals and locate the grease fittings so you can properly lube those locations. Don't forget the one behind the engine on top of the flywheel cover. If you haven't inspected the bellows now is the time. If there is any doubt at all, replace it. If you don't pull the gearbox to lube the u-joints and replace the bellows, at least perform a leak test on the outdrive. That's the only way to know if you have any failed gaskets or o-rings.

Keep up the good work and let us know how it's going.