Volvo Penta 275 outdrive chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeker

Cadet
I have an '86 Bayliner powered by a AQ 131-A 2.3L motor coupled to a VP 275 outdrive. When up on plane I hear a chatter that goes away when I slightly change direction. When the boat is on the trailor and the O/D is down, the O/D can be moved by hand up and down, side to side. Any idea on what is needs to be replaced?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 275 outdrive chatter

I would be pulling the upper gear box and checking the ujoints. and look for water in the bellows. If there is water in the bellows, pull the seal out of the back of the flywheel housing where the ujoints attach and check for water in that grease.

Zeker

Cadet

Thank you. Another problem that may be related is that the outdrive will slowly drop to the down position while being towed on the trailor. I must secure the drive by a rope to keep it up on the road. My boat sits high on the trailor so I haven't destroyed anything. Any ideas?

captmello

Captain

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-Penta-Trailering-Bracket-270-280-Outdrive-/250886621966?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3a6a020b0e

I use one of these. Your tilt may need some adjustment, but Buy one of these anyway.

And no, I doubt it has anything to do with your outdrive noise. Pull the upper like Don mentioned. Here's how.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

Let us know what you find. Sounds like you may have a few issues to resolve.:eek:;)

Zeker

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I am travelling this week so I will work on it next week and respond then.

Zeker

Cadet

Well, my good friend's boat runs well and I got my fishing fix. The guy is now in love and I now need to turn my attention back to my own boat. I pulled the bellows and found rust and a bad u-joint. I removed the upper gear housing assembly to remove the gear shaft. I was able to remove only two of the four allen head screws. The two came out using an impact wrench, heat and liquid wrench but the other two wouldn't budge. They apparently are fused by corrosion to the aluminum casing. I had the two drilled to remove the bolt heads. One is free enough to allow penetrating oil down the bolt shaft. The other is apparently fused solid. I heated the side of the casing until the penetrating oil in the screw head hole boiled and still it won't break the seal. Any ideas? If my only salvation is to replace the upper gear housing and the drive shaft what other o/d models are compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.