Volvo 270, u joint bellow

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Volvo Penta AQ125a Engine with a AQ270 drive. I was doing some pre-spring checking on the boat and noticed my u-joint belows had a nice rip in it, not very big though my pointer finger made the hold bigger.

Is this something a novice can do I know that you have to be careful of the shims? If so how do you do it? If not any one know of some good reasonable shops in the Puget sound Washington area?

At the end of last summer I never noticed anything odd about the drive, never made any squealing noise coming out of the gimbal bearing or drive itself.. Just the whirring it made when the prop was engaged. It shifted nice and smooth with no loud clunks and it shifted easily.. It may have happened over the winter with out cold weather we got. Also looking up into the transom shield area I noticed a round disk thing pointing down and part of the area around the disk got chipped, not very big and it looks like black soot in the area. I will get a picture.

Thanks

Jason

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 270, u joint bellow

Go up to the adults only sticky at the top of this forum. Manuals and other Volvo information us in it.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses so far.

Here is a picture of that disk and chip i was telling you about, not the greatest of pictures. Its also on the port side of the transom shield. Circled in red

SDC10781.jpg

When i go to remove the pins on the steering helmut is it the 2 pins in the middle (red) or the 2 bolts on the side (blue)

SDC10782.jpg

And third of all when i run it on the muffs i notice water coming out of this area, its not a lot and it does it when i squeze the muffs on the drive. That volvo is really tricky to get muffs to sit on right.

SDC10785.jpg

Don S

Top picture
That is the foot of the electro mechanical tilt. It pushes down on the drive to raise the drive. That chip shows the oring that seals water out of the area between the lift mechanism and the transom shield. NOT Good. It will probably corrode the lift mechanism and freeze it into the transom shield.

Center picture. The pin you remove is the one circled in red. You DO NOT remove the ones circled in blue.

Bottom picture.
Replace the gasket. while replacing the bellows. Remove the hose connection from the hose and make sure it hasn't corroded away while you are in there.

Again, look at the manuals on info in the adults only sticky. You will be needing some ujoints and upper gear box repair to replace the seal, seal ring and ujoints.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was afraid thats what it was i just wanted to be sure. I dont know how longs its been like that, when the PO owned he was driving in a parking lot and hit a bump good and the drive slammed down. I always rope it off when i tow it. Is that something that can be fixed with a jb weld or am i looking at a transom shield replacement, seems like it would take a lot of force to break that. Should the foot go bad and freeze would i be able to manually lift the drive up and down, ive seen some guys do at the boat launch.. In a perfect world i would take it in and have it all torn down and redone, if only the pocket book would allow it. Im not trying to be cheap or nothing, i just like doing things myself is all.

Top picture
That is the foot of the electro mechanical tilt. It pushes down on the drive to raise the drive. That chip shows the oring that seals water out of the area between the lift mechanism and the transom shield. NOT Good. It will probably corrode the lift mechanism and freeze it into the transom shield.

Center picture. The pin you remove is the one circled in red. You DO NOT remove the ones circled in blue.

Bottom picture.
Replace the gasket. while replacing the bellows. Remove the hose connection from the hose and make sure it hasn't corroded away while you are in there.

Again, look at the manuals on info in the adults only sticky. You will be needing some ujoints and upper gear box repair to replace the seal, seal ring and ujoints.

Don S

JB weld can't seal agains that oring. If it was mine and I wanted to fix it without replacing the transom shield, I would probably try removing the lift mechanism from the boat. clean and grease it up and put it back in. Then with a lot of heavy grease, put it back in and hope for the best.
I would only do this on a trailer boat, not one that stays in the water all the time.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB weld can't seal agains that oring. If it was mine and I wanted to fix it without replacing the transom shield, I would probably try removing the lift mechanism from the boat. clean and grease it up and put it back in. Then with a lot of heavy grease, put it back in and hope for the best.
I would only do this on a trailer boat, not one that stays in the water all the time.

I can probably do that. I dont boat very much maybe maybe twice a month during our summer months. I average 20-40hrs a year on the engine, it goes longer depending how long im out in salt pond as i dont like to shut the motor off out there. Or if i forget to shut the ignition off, put over 24hrs on the clock doing that once :rolleyes:

Don I appreciate all your help your a great asset to this site.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]So for my bellows assuming everything goes right:

1. Remove shift cover plate
2. disconnect shift cable
3. Remove bolts in center of helmut lift helmut out of way
4. Loosen clamp on old bellows
5. Remove 2 side bolts on upper unit
6. Remove upper unit (dont lose shims)
7. Change ujoints if need be (probably will)
8. If i can get the tools change PDS bearing.
9. Check and replace if needed the water hose and joint for various sea creatures.

Im sure these aren't in the right order

Do i need bellow adhesive on this and some kind of permatex to remate the upper unit?? Im sure i will need some o-rings Volvo loves o-rings

I cant seem to locate a Volvo OEM u-joint is there an automotive equivalent or is the Sierra brand ok..

Also i was looking at the serive manual for my engine and it shows a place to grease the PDS bearing but the picture is fuzzy and i cant really tell. Says use water resistant grease and put cap on all the way.
[/FONT]

captmello

Captain

So for my bellows assuming everything goes right:

1. Remove shift cover plate
2. disconnect shift cable

Should only need to disconnect the vertical shift linkage.

3. Remove bolts in center of helmut lift helmut out of way

You will need a couple of 1/4 inch bolts to jack the pin out with

4. Loosen clamp on old bellows

5. Remove 2 side bolts on upper unit

Two bolts, two nuts

6. Remove upper unit (dont lose shims)
7. Change ujoints if need be (probably will)
8. If i can get the tools change PDS bearing.

You don't need many tools for this.:D

Maybe they'll be okay. A little optimism for ya.

9. Check and replace if needed the water hose and joint for various sea creatures.

I'm sure these aren't in the right order

Do i need bellow adhesive on this and some kind of permatex to remate the upper unit?? Im sure i will need some o-rings Volvo loves o-rings

you'll need the two orings for the upper to Inter. and a new gasket for the soon to be new water intake fitting, permatex #3 aircraft gasket sealent , drain plug/dip stick orings(get a few of these), in fact I'd get a couple of each orings for next season, .

I cant seem to locate a Volvo OEM u-joint is there an automotive equivalent or is the Sierra brand ok..

sierras on Iboats are a good price Last I checked under 30 ea.

Also i was looking at the serive manual for my engine and it shows a place to grease the PDS bearing but the picture is fuzzy and i cant really tell. Says use water resistant grease and put cap on all the way.

The fitting is right on top of the flywheel cover on the inside of the boat. I think some may have come without a zerk.

Let us know how it goes.:D