Volvo Penta 275 Tilt Mechanism Rebuild

captmello

Captain
My tilting device on my boat had a bit of a grinding noise to it when I bought the boat last year. The boat needed so many things, the tilt got low priority. I've finally got around to taking it apart.

Here are some photos.
Tiltassembly001.jpg
[/IMG]

Tiltassembly002.jpg
[/IMG]

You can see the lower bearing came out in pieces. I believe I found all the bearings.

Tiltassembly003.jpg
[/IMG]

Tiltassembly004.jpg
[/IMG]

Besides the bearings coming apart, everything seems OK. The lower bearing race is stuck in the housing, I'll have to work on that. I'm going to pick up new upper and lower bearing kits and new O-rings and put it back together.

The worm gear pieces look good fortunately, I didn't remove the gear from the housing as it seems to spin freely and feels solid in its bearings.

The bearings, VP part#19280 are "dealer only" I hope there isn't a problem finding them.

If anyone has any words of wisdom please let me know. I'm going to try to get the parts and will post on my success when I get it put back together.

BTW, I had some success replacing the thrust sleeve on my Retaining Pawl assembly. The old one had broken off and I was able to remove the broken one and install a new on without removing the drive.:D

However, I can't test it until I get this lift devise fixed. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

dugcarr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Volvo Penta 275 Tilt Mechanism Rebuild

i did the same thing a few years ago with leaving the housing still in the boat.
new bearings and grease.

just be careful with the electrical housing that sits on top, if that is to tight or to loose it doesn't read the pressure switch that tells you your leg is all the way up or down.
try to guess the cost of the bearings lol.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta 275 Tilt Mechanism Rebuild W/pics

Re: Volvo Penta 275 Tilt Mechanism Rebuild W/pics

try to guess the cost of the bearings lol.

Well I finally got my new bearings, $65 for the two sets, nothing funny about that...

I began reassembly but after taking a look at this part a little closer it was cracked and fell apart in my hands.:eek:
Its the part that the long screw like shaft threads into.

Tiltassembly007.jpg
[/IMG]

after some parts cross referencing, I headed over to the old '67 AQ120 we've still got rotting in storage. 20+ years older but same part. The older tilt mechanism was still in great shape.

Tiltassembly006.jpg
[/IMG]

I reassembled with the new parts and it seems to be good now.

One other thing, I jumped the motors on my bench and got different results. The older motor, three wire style, spins twice as fast as the original motor, the two wire version painted black in the pic.

Tiltassembly008.jpg
[/IMG]

Does anyone have any comments on the different speeds of the motors?
Could something be wrong with the newer motor that would cause it to run slower?

Thanks for any insight.

captmello

Captain

Has anyone ever converted an older three wire to a two wire.

It doesn't look like there is a rebuild kit for the two wire motor.

Any help is appreciated.

captmello

Captain

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

There's an active discussion on the same subject going on here:http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/252538.shtml

Check the links in the discussion for complete wiring schematics for both the 2 wire and 3 wire systems.

If you start crosschecking part numbers on your unit and other models, many of the older ones have the same part numbers for motors, relays, bearings, and housings so at least you've got some choices when looking for used parts.

One of the contributors on that forum actually rebuilds the units so should be of some help. That doesn't mean that people here aren't as competent or knowlegeable - just that what seems to be the same diiscussion is also going on somewhere else.

BTW - I noticed that the bolt flange on mine is cracked. I used JB Weld to attempt a repair but won't have the motor back in the boat for a few weeks to see if it holds. I may be hitting you up then Captmello to see if your old housing is available :)

captmello

Captain

There's an active discussion on the same subject going on here:http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12487/252538.shtml

Check the links in the discussion for complete wiring schematics for both the 2 wire and 3 wire systems.

If you start crosschecking part numbers on your unit and other models, many of the older ones have the same part numbers for motors, relays, bearings, and housings so at least you've got some choices when looking for used parts.

One of the contributors on that forum actually rebuilds the units so should be of some help. That doesn't mean that people here aren't as competent or knowlegeable - just that what seems to be the same diiscussion is also going on somewhere else.

BTW - I noticed that the bolt flange on mine is cracked. I used JB Weld to attempt a repair but won't have the motor back in the boat for a few weeks to see if it holds. I may be hitting you up then Captmello to see if your old housing is available :)

Thanks for the response.

I brought my two wire into a repair shop to get it checked today. the guy called and said it was shot but can get me one for $150. thats a better price than $300 from volvo.

I checked out the other forum, very good info there, thanks for that.

Let me know if your need that housing.;)

I am coming into this thread a little late - but I too have a volvo electric tilt problem - mine on a 280 leg - but the tilt is the same

Can anyone tell me how to get the bottom housing off the transom plate. I have removed to 2 allen screws but the thing seems "welded" and I dont want to hit it too hard (cannot really anyway with most of a 350 chev in the way)

Do I need to take the external bits off first (the bits that actually press down on the external portion of the leg) - and if so ... how ?

I have removed the electrics, the upper housing and the "guts" with the exception of the main shaft - which looks OK, but appears to be seized lower down.

Any advice appreciated
Paul

captmello

Captain

Paul, welcome to Iboats.

Typically, you're better off starting your own thread instead of posting to an old one like this.

However, the two allen head bolts are the only thing holding it in place so yes, its corroded in. You could try turning the entire assembly with a cresent wrench on the upper cover to loosen it, the unit should turn in the hole. Or if that doesn't work or it still will not pull out, you could lift the outdrive and put a block of wood between the foot of the tilt Mech. and the tilt arm of the suspention fork and leverage it up like that. Carefully!!

If you have further questions, start a new thread. I'll be watching for it.;)

Good luck!:)

OK - colour me green - but i cannot figure out how to start a new thread. Probably obvious, but I am a forum virgin ...

In the meantime - thanks to captmello - I have had another go. Have stepped forward, but not there yet. Have freed bottom housing "weld". But I still cannot seem to get unit out. The lower housing will now rotate, not exactly loose - but will move by hand, thru abt 180deg - but travel is then v.tight (read impossible even with wrench) beyond that. I have tried lifting the leg and then using various things to try to lever the thing up thru the transom plate - but it refuses.

From an ezboard forum I have managed to get a parts diagram - which I think is from volvo manual 773624. Anyway the diagram matches my unit - and the original pictures posted to this thread.

It seems that the foot of the push rod is an extremely tight fit back up thru the transom plate (does it really fit?) - I have used a reasonable degree of lever force (carefully) - Is it possible to remove that foot from below before pulling the unit up through (remembering that my unit is jammed in the fully up (meaning leg fully down) position.

The piece I am talking about is the silver bit which is bottom left in captmellos original 2nd picture - and is either labelled 8 or 21 in the diagram from the manual - anyway, it is the last bit at the very bottom of the unit - the piece that makes contact with the release botton on the leg

Apologies for all the words ... can resort to pictures if needed
Paul

captmello

Captain

Go to this link. It is the I/O forum home page. Above the top "sticky" about winterizing there is a button that reads "Create New Post" :)

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Re: the trim Mech., you may need to turn the housing back and forth while pressing up on the foot from behind the boat. I would not remove the foot from the bottom however it could be done. You do not want to damage the vice rod end that the foot screws into. You'll find once you get it out and cleaned up, it isn't that tight of a fit. Order all new orings and gaskets.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Paul, be careful where you apply pressure to the housing. Resist the temptation to pry up on the bolting flange. The housing is cast and breaking that flange can ruin your day. Reasonable pressure from a pipe wrench on the housing will help to turn and free it up.

OK - with your advice in my ears ... and a degree of percussive encouragement from below ... I now have the unit out and in the workshop. So far I haven't managed to break, bend or lose anything

I have stripped it down from the top removing spring, clutch and bb races. I have stripped it from the bottom - removing the foot and the "jacket" with the rubber seal and O ring.

The main shaft is still "stuck" in the bottom housing and I am a little unsure where I can safely apply some serious torque and where I cannot. I cannot see into the bottom housing from the top as there is a plate that the last of the bb races fits in to. Does this plate remove and if so how ... I am wanting to be very careful as I have confirmed with our West Australian volvo penta agent (Seapower Australia) that I can get a total of zero parts for these things in Australia.

In the meantime I have it resting in a bath of WD40
Paul

captmello

Captain

The main shaft is still "stuck" in the bottom housing and I am a little unsure where I can safely apply some serious torque and where I cannot. I cannot see into the bottom housing from the top as there is a plate that the last of the bb races fits in to. Does this plate remove and if so how

The Vise rod should slide out up through the housing. It has a "key" on the side of it that keeps it from turning and it only goes in one way. at this point you should be able to drive it out from the bottom of the housing. Just don't damage the end of the rod.

My Vise rod was bent.:eek: And would not slide easily. Thank goodness for the spare I had. Once you get it out and cleaned up, it should slide in and out easily.

The bottom bearing race sits in the housing itself and is hard to get out. I never did get it out and ended up using the one that was there.

Let us know how it turns out.

OK - things starting to look good (I think!). More solid percussion removed the shaft. Left everything in pieces in white spirit for 24 hours then gave it all a good clean up. The end of the shaft had a small burr which i removed with a gentle grind - and after a fair bit of cleaning on the lower housing the shaft slides up and down easily.

Both the races are fine - as are the race tracks. In fact everything now looks like it was machined yesterday and if all fits together nicely. Will need to improvise on a new rubber seal - likely have to get something the same size from a local hydraulics dealer. Honestly :confused: you cannot even get seals for these things over here. :eek:

Other than that ready to re-assemble. Anybody got any advice on what type of grease to use - and how much to use. When I opened it up it looked like it had most of a whole can stuffed into it. It fact it looks pretty much like very old grease which had solidified with a little salt and dirt was the root cause of the whole problem.

Anyway - back to the grease ..Do I put any more than a thin film between the clutch plates. Any last advice before I reassemble this sucker and pop it back into the boat would be appreciated. :) Oh and BTW do I need to put any sort of sealant between the lower housing and the inside of the transom plate - where the allen-bolts are going to secure it to the transom?

Thanks in advance for any further advice - you guys have been great so far. Would not have made it to this point otherwise ...
Paul

captmello

Captain

Sounds like you're in good shape.

I got all my gaskets and Orings from Iboats. Sucks you can't get them there.

Fill the lower and upper housings completely with grease.

Once filled and you've got the upper housing back on, Run the unit all the way up and down a couple times by jumping the leads of the motor to a battery. This should work the extra grease out of the hole in the top of the upper cover.

Once you've got the assembly back in the boat you'll have to adjust the tention on the clutch by adjusting the upper cover. Once you've got the tention adjusted, pull the black box off again and run the lift bath directions to make sure excess grease is out. Too much grease will effect the stop limit switch in the box.

Good Luck.

Brief update

Has been slow going. Have just managed to locate O rings to fit and am cutting new seals myself. Have repainted lower unit today and need to wait for it to cure. Expect to assemble during the week and will let you know outcome.

AM having some trouble with the thread at the bottom of the main shaft. Foot of the unit does not want to screw in properly. May be a further delay while I take that to a metal shop to sort the thread out - Sigh :rolleyes: The only upside is that summer has been late to come over here - but I need the boat up and running in 2 weeks for a trip to Rottnest Island

Paul

OK - I have managed to get foot thread sorted (an AF die - not metric - which was a surprise) and it screws into the base of the vise rod properly. I am looking good to re-assemble - I think I have everything and it all seems to fit - I have replaced all the o-rings and cut new gaskets by hand

I have 2 last Qs (famous last words).

1st - The piece that screws into the bottom of the lower housing - which has an o-ring on the outside (to seal transom) and another on the inside (to seal vise rod) which goes into the transom "hole" ... it looks like it needs some sort of additional gasket or o-ring or some such for the thread which screws into the bottom housing as the thread does not go "all the way down".

When I took it out there was nothing in there but gunged up grease, but that was after almost 30 years of service - do I need something in there and if so is it gasket or another o-ring or just grease. Any ideas?

and finally - do I put the foot on before it goes back through the transom plate or do I add it after (which would be a bit hard with the leg in-situ).

sorry for the list of (probably trivial) Qs but I am a little scared of breaking something - anything broken will have to be machined from scratch - and if i get the seals wrong then it will no doubt seize again

regards, paul.

captmello

Captain

1st - The piece that screws into the bottom of the lower housing - which has an o-ring on the outside (to seal transom) and another on the inside (to seal vise rod) which goes into the transom "hole" ... it looks like it needs some sort of additional gasket or o-ring or some such for the thread which screws into the bottom housing as the thread does not go "all the way down".

Sorry not sure what your saying here. The part that threads onto the bottom of the lower assembly does screw all the way down and should be kept dry by the outer oring. (see the pics earlier in the thread)

do I put the foot on before it goes back through the transom plate

Yes, it should be fully assembled. remember the washer with the little locking leg needs to be bent over on the corresponding flat part on the vice rod. The foot may not be tightened all the way down to make it line up with the vicerod.

Hope that helps.:)

:) - victory ...

I bow down before you .. oh god of ancient tilt motors
Thanks for all your help

Paul.