My leaky rear

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Was working in the boat . Re -epoxying the depth finder in the back of hull (no holes made , thru hull mount )
So water all a sudden pours in under the drive .
Is possibly the gasket between the drive and hull . Will try to attach a pic

Darn won't let me , not authorized it says. Basically the lowest part of the Volvo penta SX drive on a 19' .
There is a flange with 2 studs and a hole in that plate in center. Is where the water gushes from ,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You need 3 more posts prior to being able to do pics

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Was working in the boat . Re -epoxying the depth finder in the back of hull (no holes made , thru hull mount )
So water all a sudden pours in under the drive .
Is possibly the gasket between the drive and hull . Will try to attach a pic

Darn won't let me , not authorized it says. Basically the lowest part of the Volvo penta SX drive on a 19' .
There is a flange with 2 studs and a hole in that plate in center. Is where the water gushes from ,

Go to get in 2 more posts.

Leaky Rear

Seaman
The other components on this 17 year old lake boat starting to go . horn , fuse panel , bilge pump ,water pump ...HAd all those handled till this bigger issue.

Bondo

Staff member
Is possibly the gasket between the drive and hull

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Anything is possible, but it's much more likely the wood in the transom is rotten, causin' the leak,....

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Would that apply to a 19' 2000 Bluwater Malib... Its a fiberglass open bow, Is there wood in the transom ?

Leaky Rear

Seaman
No Title

This was with boat lowered to waterline. Gushes out the hole in the flange .

Attachments

• photo275790.jpg
    photo275790.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Would that apply to a 19' 2000 Bluwater Malib... Its a fiberglass open bow, Is there wood in the transom ?

yes, there is wood in the transom and the stringers

from the picture, I am going to go with rotten transom

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Thank you Scott .Would that be typical if the boat has been lifted up when not in use, or on trailer in driveway. Wasn't stored floating.
Rotton transom, WOW . I will hope otherwise
I can imagine that kind of repair costing well more than the boats value to repair. That'd be a shame.

Maclin

Admiral
I apologize, but I am just wanting to understand the timeline as it may be relevant.

You are inside the boat working.
Boat is fully afloat in the water, or waterline is well up on the hull.
Water is not rushing in at first.
Normal state of boat being used or floating is no water in the boat.
After a period of time water starts rushing in this time.

How did you notice or witness the first ingress of water? By sound?
How long was the time from boat first in water to first ingress of water there?

Leaky Rear

Seaman
Yes thanks for making sure Im describing it well.
,yes by sound
15 minutes into working on boat.

Im working in my boat in the Slip , on the lake . Checking over , diagnosing a horn issue.

Just while head under the steering wheel . Was checking fuse block . Motor cover was open , i just heard a trickle!! Sensitive ears I guess . The leak literally started in front of me. Bone dry V in the bilge,now up to a cup of water by the time I turned around to inspect.

Boat was in water partially for about 15 minutes . Had never leaked a drop ever into the bilge like this.
Additional info . Boat was just into the water about 6" . (Air lift) Reason 6" depth, I was re-epoxy a depth sounder to the inside of hull at bilge. Just needed water to touch hull to shown display was working.

The lake is very terrible algae at moment . Why the leak was discover in "shallow water" Not fully floating . I wanted to do the horn and depth sounder repair without gucking the hull up by lowering all the way.

Experimenting- I lowered it more down to the water line , the slow trickle became much faster , a few GPM... the pics show the difference.

Additionally the bilge pump has had it. Broke mount, and moaning ..its a 750 GPH . Im thinking a new 1500 GPH pumpand try to get the boat on a trailer.
Marina and ramp about 10 min slow water away....

Last edited:

Leaky Rear

Seaman
I wanted to follow up wth the kind boaters that helped me. Id been poking around the boat up on the lift and was going to drop it down and test the reverse throttle thing. To see if the leak increased. Id noticed the boat , floating at the water line, had stopped leaking.
What the heck. So I let it float 10 days (fresh water). Not any sign of leak. Took a 25 minute test drive on the lake. No leak any sort.

Can not explain what happened , I dont believe it fixed itself. Thanks for the help ,forum.