PDS shaft issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Replacing the bearings on my PDS shaft i discovered a few things...

At some point, there was water in with the bearings.

Cleaning the shaft, i found a crack

Now to find another PDS shaft.

VP pn 853809 or the earlier one 853081 (same shafts, different suppliers)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I found those on Ebay as well. I have also been searching CL, and have a call into a buddy of mine that has a stock pile of VP parts.

the funny thing is I can get a shaft hobbed for $450 ($200 for qty 5 or more) and a new shaft from VP is $540. They are very proud of their little shaft aren't they

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Well.....its official. Evilbay sucks and is over priced. found two NOS shafts on Ebay. offered a low amount for each one figuring there would be some negotiation and i would get one for a reasonable price.. both low ball offers were accepted. Now I have a spare.... or an opportunity.to sell extra parts on CL or Evilbay

If you make an offer on evilbay, wait until its accepted or not prior to making an offer on a similar item. also, if there is a best offer choice on an evilbay auction, offer half

Scott Danforth

Staff member
got home late last night....two packages awaiting on the desk chair for me. havent had a chance to look, however it appears that my replacement PDS shafts showed up.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No Title

thought I would close out this thread

there are a few write ups on iboats :
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...55594-monterey-montura-newbie-need-help/page7

as well as the PDF posted by Don S "Here is a pdf file on how to replace the flywheel housing bearings. Overhauling the Flywheel Cover.pdf "

Since I dont like to press anything anymore, I prefer to thermal-press (heat one item, freeze the other)

Tools needed: double-x snap ring pliers (you can try it with a long needle-nose, however after swearing a lot, you will simply buy the right tool off of Amazon and have delivered in 2 days
1/2" diameter brass drift
ball-peen hammer
brake cleaner
2 beers

Removal:
drive a 1/4" lag bolt in each seal and pry out
use snap ring pliers and remove all 3 large diameter snap rings
from input side, use ball-peen and drift, drive the shaft and one bearing out the output end
once the shaft and bearing are out, remove the external snap ring and remove bearing from shaft. I used an arbor press
use drift to drive input side bearing out of PDS housing

clean up snap rings with brake cleaner
clean up shaft with brake cleaner, inspect for damage, wear, pitting, cracking etc. notice that I found a crack that went 3/4 way around shaft - buy new shaft if needed, yes they are pricey
clean up housing
optional - repaint as needed. I used ford Red first time, Autoparts store didnt have it this last time, so I used red caliper paint - same color as ford red
have first beer - enjoy as paint dries

re-assembly

Sequence is input side bearing goes in housing first (freeze bearing, heat pds housing). I put the bearing in the freezer for about 20 minutes while I propped up my heat gun to blow inside the PDS housing from the output side to the input side. Also have the shaft in the freezer at this point as well.

retrieve bearing from freezer, drop bearing in heated PDS housing, then add snap ring.

heat output end bearing with heat gun. I hung it with a bit of mechanics wire above the heat gun. retrieve the shaft from freezer and with gloves, grab the output end bearing put on shaft (it should just drop on ). Then install shaft snap ring.

return whole bearing/shaft/snapring to freezer - grab another beer

prop the heat gun to heat up the output end of the PDS shaft and the input bearing you will be heating the housing to about 200, shaft will be at 0, it will drop in - no fuss - no muss

Add both snap rings.
Pump in grease while rotating shaft until you see grease coming thru bearings, keep pumping a bit
coat outer OD of seal with permatex #3 and Drive in seals. - I used a piece of PVC pipe
pump in more grease until you get a bit out the output shaft seal

Reinstall pds housing, reinstall motor, reinstall drive - or wrap in plastic and put on the shelf like I did as I am awaiting the motor from the machine shop

Attachments

• photo262514.jpg
    photo262514.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 13
  • photo262515.jpg
    photo262515.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 14
  • photo262516.jpg
    photo262516.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 14
  • photo262517.jpg
    photo262517.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 15
  • photo262518.jpg
    photo262518.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 15
  • photo262519.jpg
    photo262519.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 14
  • photo262520.jpg
    photo262520.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 13
  • photo262521.jpg
    photo262521.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 12
  • photo262522.jpg
    photo262522.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 11

TrevorStott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Scott,

Thanks for this write-up, it was amazing to have this to guide me. One question, my bearing kit came with a small bearing which I thought was throw away because it was a kit that could be used presumably for multiple outdrive models but upon closer inspection it fits the inner end of the output shaft on the motor side. Looking into the flywheel I can see the bearing. Do I need to worry about that one? I felt into the bearing and it doesn't seem to turn freely although it "looks" in good condition.. Thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The shaft and the crank can not turn with respect to each other in a boat application with a coupler.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sounds like a pilot beating for a manual transmission.

Hey Scott - Since you closed out the thread almost 2 years ago, do you want us to close it to avoid re-openings like this?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Forum rules dictate it should be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.