1980 Eska 9.9 fuel pump

Rad guy

Recruit
I have an Eska 1980 9.9 HP outbd (11452A) that stops running when carb bowl empties after being primed from the tank hand bulb. I have to keep squeezing the tank bulb to keep it running. I have run fuel line with new squeeze bulb directly to a different bottle of mixed gas directly from the carb bypassing any in-line quick disconnect fittings. I have rebuilt the carburator, including the orange filter element ensuring it is positioned at the 2-8 position. I have used a new mounting gasket and made sure the flapper valve gasket was hitting on flat surfaces when I had the carb apart and that all passages were clear. The float seat and needle were replaced and float is level when carb is turned upside down ensuring that the needle seat is securely pushed all the way down in it's hole. Plugs have been replaced.
I can only make the engine run if the fuel tank is at same height as carb. I suspect that the pulse coming from the crankshaft is too weak to make the flapper valves work effectively. Has anyone found a way to measure it with holding a rubber tipped gauge on the hole while pulling the cord? Also what compression should I get from the cylinders? This motor has seen very little use and it hard to think that the crankcase gasket is bad or engine has internal wear. Has anyone found an after market carb or a perhaps experimented with a primer for the gas tank to push the fuel to the carb? I have read a lot of the forums and most suggest throwing this one and be rid of it. It still looks new. I acquired it with the Jon boat.

Last edited:

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 Eska 9.9 fuel pump

I bet the carb is fine, and it sounds like you've done everything right. I'm thinkin' it's either a bent mounting flange on the carb losing vacuum, or more likely still, bad o-rings in the fuel fittings killing suction in the line.

Rad guy

Recruit

I bet the carb is fine, and it sounds like you've done everything right. I'm thinkin' it's either a bent mounting flange on the carb losing vacuum, or more likely still, bad o-rings in the fuel fittings killing suction in the line.

I actually bought new fittings which didn't help so as mentioned I went straight from carb inlet to another tank. I am using a New carb flange gasket.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen hard to spot cracks in the carb casting, but it's really rare. This seems to be one of those weird problems that doesn't involve the usual wear items. If it runs only with a gravity feed or manual pump, you're either losing suction in the fuel line or vacuum in the intake end of the motor.

Rad guy

Recruit

I have seen hard to spot cracks in the carb casting, but it's really rare. This seems to be one of those weird problems that doesn't involve the usual wear items. If it runs only with a gravity feed or manual pump, you're either losing suction in the fuel line or vacuum in the intake end of the motor.

Have you ever put a rubber tipped gauge on the crankcase hole and pulled the rope and measured the pulse? I also read another blob where someone suggested putting your lips over the orange duck bill fuel element hole on an empty carb and then blow and suck and see if you can hear the carb flapper valves working.