New to me Eska 3 HP Outboard Help!!?

Eska3.0

Cadet
Hey everyone im a first time poster here and im hoping some of the knowledgeable members on here can help me out. Recently I picked up a Eska 3 HP outboard motor for 35$. It runs but stops running after a half dozen minutes or so. Im wondering what are some things I can do to fix it up/clean it up and get it to a much more efficient machine. As well as im wondering where I would even go about finding a owners manual for this motor. An input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for your time!! :joyous:IMAG0432.jpgIMAG0434.jpg

outhere99

Seaman
Re: New to me Eska 3 HP Outboard Help!!?

You got a good deal... I just picked up a 1970 Sears 3hp for $45. Runs good, but needs some tweaking. I like how simple these things are! Are you sure you have the tank vent open? Sounds like it's starving for gas (after sucking the air out of the tank). Open the little vent screw on the cap, and make sure the fuel pet **** is full open (under the tank). Also, make sure it's got good air flow. If it's stopping due to over heating (seizing) that could be a real problem!

Look for Eska manuals as well as I think that's who actually made these. Ted Williams was another brand name, I think. The engine is a Tecumseh, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot was similar to other yard equipment they made.

Have fun!

Hey everyone im a first time poster here and im hoping some of the knowledgeable members on here can help me out. Recently I picked up a Eska 3 HP outboard motor for 35$. It runs but stops running after a half dozen minutes or so. Im wondering what are some things I can do to fix it up/clean it up and get it to a much more efficient machine. As well as im wondering where I would even go about finding a owners manual for this motor. An input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for your time!! :joyous:View attachment 203916View attachment 203917

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Will it idle down or do you have to run it fairly fast to keep it going?

Probably just a carb clean and adjust. They are decent little motors. I owned a 1.5 HP that did the job.

Eska went out of business in the late 80's or somewhere there abouts. Generic manuals can be found online. Specific OEM manuals can be found on Ebay. The owner's manuaul was really simple. I think you are looking for a service manual.

Eska3.0

Cadet

Thanks for the help. Yah I cleaned up the cap as well as took the little fuel valve off and cleaned it as it would barely do a full rotation. Now it spins like a charm so im suspecting that could have been an issue . maybe it was too gunked up . I havent had a chance to try firing it up sincr than befause i have to get morr fuel. Do you know the mix ratio for thr fuel?

Eska3.0

Cadet

Also it is quite stiff to turn. What could be causing this and whst sre the remedies for it?? Just old grease in there maybe?

colbyt

Look for Eska manuals as well as I think that's who actually made these. Ted Williams was another brand name, I think. The engine is a Tecumseh, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot was similar to other yard equipment they made.

Eska, Tecumseh and McCullough all made OBs for Sears under various names, one of which was Ted Williams.

colbyt

Also it is quite stiff to turn. What could be causing this and whst sre the remedies for it?? Just old grease in there maybe?

The year it was made will determine the final mix ratio. Mine was an 80-82 and I think it used 32-1. I think there is a tension screw for the steering. Old grease could surely be part of it. Post you model, serial number or any other number and someone will help you figure out what you have.

Eska3.0

Cadet

Thanks again! The numbers I found were ....
T-642-19
Model # 1973-A
Serial # 57-000672
All the tips and help is greatly appreciated and I must thank you all again!

colbyt

3 HP, 1975, Model 1931 - 1976

I make it my private policy to not post a link in one forum that leads to another forum. You could use Google search with "1975 Eska fuel mix" to find some links. One of those would say 24-1 for the gas and TCW oil. This is referring to a 7.5 Wizard which was made by Eska. There isn't a tremendous difference between 24-1 and 32-1 so I would try the richer 24-1 first.

There is a wealth of Eska info on these boards Eska Outboard Motor Forums

Eska3.0

Cadet

Okay thanks for the link its much appreciated. !!

Eska3.0

Cadet

Hey again. So I've been busy lately and just got around to working on the outboard again. However now it appears that it doesn't wajt ti start. Pulls nicely. Purrs nicel on the pulls but won't turn over. Does anyone have any suggestions or things to check?? Also woupd sesfoam help in this situation?

tomhath

It will take a couple of minutes for the carb bowl to fill after you open the fuel petcock. Give it time before pulling on the rope, then check that the bowl is full. If you have gas there you've eliminated a few things.