1953 10hp Firestone Outboard Restoration

M

mrcrabs

Hey guys,
most of you know I like to tinker with the Eskas and most air coooled egg beaters for fun and especially the ignitions but I recently traded my Tanaka Tob 300 to Ed Stoller for a cache of Scott Atwaters 1946 3.6 hp 462-'s and a 1953 firestone so I was told? code number 133-4-1845...would seem to indicate a 1954
I'm a little confused on this in that I thought 54's had a bail-O-matic, mine seems not to have it and I was wondering if it could have been a late 53 tagged in 1954...
its a mess she has laid in a basement tiller down and flooded many times since 19?? and deeply pitted the top cylinder, I basically need a new power head to make the 10hp project go...the 46's should be nice and easy restores if I can find decals, there such a simple little motor.

any imput or leads is apreciated on the 53-54?? Firestone

View attachment 167498View attachment 167497View attachment 167500

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1953 10hp Firestone Outboard Restoration

Your 10 is pre-bail-a-matic; an early 50's, but your take on it as a 53 is probably close. Your better off with this than the bail-a-matic model. Ive seen many parts for this on ebay and you should be able to find a decent power head in the 15 to 35 range. Since this is a re-badged Scott Atwater you can look at them also for a donor head. The 3.6 was made for many years ( I have a 48 and a 61 and they're almost identical). There are a few Scott Atwater / Firestone web sites with lots of info and lists of serial #'s and years. Good luck!

M

mrcrabs

Thank you, I pretty well coverd the ebay and internet firestone stuff, I guess I'm going to have to get more involved and move next door to F_R :)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Firestone is indeed a 1954, but it is basically the 1953 model Scott Gold Pennant. Scott gave them the previous year's styling to better differentiate them from the standard Scott offerings. Firestones kept that center band type cowling style for several years afterwards on several models. Other years of Scott 10hp powerheads may fit with some mixing of cowling brackets, etc.

M

mrcrabs

I see whare you had some Atwater stuff for sale chinewalker, I have been talking to Mr. Webb about a powerhead, I may go the big bucks to have this rat motor run again...there so cool looking, I have pretty 1956 model Scott-Atwater 10hp also buts its not ratty enough for the likes of me amd my pirate crew...LOL

Eskas & Atwaters, what a way to burn money..:) almost as much fun as my Ole Evinrude

M

mrcrabs

I see where you gots a GW Invader, Grandson is wanting one...so I'm I, need me a 40hp Mariner too

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Invader isn't mine - I redid that one for a friend of mine... I did the structural, and he was to do the cosmetics. It took me a whole winter to do my part. Still waiting for him to finish it...

M

mrcrabs

any idea what he's going to run on it, I have been looking for a 10ft model to restore, though I could start the boy off with one of my 15hp Eska's for beginner power, or even a the 10hp firestone should work fine...probably has more torque than the Eska

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

He has a 70hp Johnson 3-holer for it. The 13-footer is actually rated for 80!

I have a '53 Scott 10 and it's actually a good performer. LOUD as all heck, though. That tin shroud seems to amplify any inner noise!

M

mrcrabs

does anybod have a idea of the choke procces on those 462 SA firestones, I see nada way to choke them except by the throttle buttterfly, maybe its a what all them little holes drilled in that throtttle plate are for??? move leaver to start and crank like heck?.....mine seem to be some of the first run production after WWW2, no little choke button to push and the AJ2 carb is not actually in the manual that I can find.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

I saw the words Firestone and GW Invader so here I am. I have a similar Firestone 7.5 and it has a piece of metal (similar to a paperclip) with a bend that (bent so it) catches on the metal cowling where a hole and groove were added; acting as a choke. It attaches to the butterfly. I thought it was original (a bit cheesy) but now realize it was added. You might want to go that route. Why no choke from the mfgr?

As for the Invader. I had a 10 footer years ago. It came with a 35 Merc. I think it was rated up to 50 or 55 horse. Not fast enough for me. I added a 60 or 65 Johnson. Unfortunately I didn't think it over. I was a long shaft so I built the transom up instead of finding a short shaft. It was very fast and very unstable. The water had to be smooth. One day I failed to see a wake from a big cabin cruiser. I hit it at full throttle. It went up into the air and flipped. I held on and my girlfriend was 'ripped' out of it. I rode it upside down till it stopped. She landed up in the hospital but fortunately with only badly bruised legs. I married her to repay the debt. Neat boat but I never used it again. Put the motor on a tri-hull and sold the Invader. Wish I had kept her.

M

mrcrabs

Wish I had kept her.
so she finally wised up and dumped your silly arse eh? LOL :D

If I ever find one (GW) that is the maz I think I would go would be 40hp Mariner....theres lots of support for go fast tuning on the merc/mariner

and yeah there is no choke on this carb......it so old its a A j 2 A most likley left overs from pre war champion days....I plan to post some project picture her soon. but I hear natures call.....

M

mrcrabs

View attachment 172783View attachment 172784View attachment 172785View attachment 172786View attachment 172787

Some pictures of my 54 Firestone 10hp replacment engine, This engine is a few years newer than the original 3835, its design shows up in the manual as a 3845 or 55 and needs 2 hood bracket mounting holes and one front motor mount hole drilled and tapped , I need a lower crank seal, I have been looking at metric sizes on ebay since I can get them cheap 3-4$ shipped free from hong kong, 30mm x 22mm x 5mm is what I think will fit. I can also get them in 32x20x5...its hard to measure the actual grove and shaft because its recessed and to tight for my calipers.
I can drag the whole works down to motion industries and let them make me feel like I'm wasting there time while they swap dirty jokes and drink coffee and if they have it they will want 12-22$ regardless just because I need it..... I would have $20 in gas to get there.

my new bumper sticker say " I like China"

I have a second AJ2A carb still on its motor included in the pics, the one I'm restoring is here by my desk, all clean and pretty, I sealed up the cork float and polished the brass shut off valve to seat good, made new gaskets, someone bent the main jet but thats fixed but I still don't understand or have any idea of the correct starting proccedure although I'm sure I will be able to write a book on it when I finish.

M

mrcrabs

I had to do some welding on my tiller bracket for the 54 Firestone, and I'm thinking about, could use some advice?? on replacing the carb bowl on the 3854 unit that has "the devils own device" fuel drain with the one from the 3835 that is just a plain bowl, I think I would be better off with the old style bowl and forget the handy drainer feature...although??? gee I'm so ambivalent:confused:

and I need to find/make a nice motor mount relacment for the Big firestone

View attachment 172806View attachment 172807

M

mrcrabs

Ok I just found out what I though might be the case is, my AJ2A carb is a 1941 Champion which SA pulled out of the ware house the day after WWW2 ended....cool history, any old champion experts out there?

so the only difference I see in the 41 champion and the 46 Scott Atwater firestone 462 is they moved the carb around to the front of the powerhead.
http://youtu.be/b7jrPwpn1JE

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

No choke - it was a primer system. Tickle the float needle when it pops up through the carb cap to "flood" the motor a bit...

M

mrcrabs

thank you Chinewalker, I see what your saying...cool, I was thinking blank thoughts on that subject except that I was thinkin maybe the motor ran rich enough... well I spent a 20$ in gas just running from place to place, I found no lower crank seal for my 10hp powerhead today....or for that matter any individuals who would even care, I'm at the mercy of Chinese rubbers and mm's :facepalm:

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Two nice motors. Hope they run as good as they look. The 3.6 is identical to my mine (a 1961) which says 'Scotty' on the front decal and Scott on the side decals; same color and all. I gave up on it as I had a never ending fuel/carb problem. I'm about ready to tackle it again as a winter project. I'm going to remove the welch plug in the carb and that's my last hope. She runs but shuts down and does not allow fuel back into the carb (as indicated by the float tickler). Hope you have better luck with yours.