1948 Scott-Atwater Online manuals, etc

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's time to start working on the 1948 Scottie. I had links from Imported Skippy but his comments have all been deleted..... Anyone help out there? I plan on pulling the flywheel to check the points and want to clean the carb. Can I clean the carb well enough without removing it? Also will be replacing the impeller. :) I do have a link for a new impeller.

Thanks!!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1948 Scott-Atwater Online manuals, etc

Wow. Skippy went out and deleted all of his old threads himself because he got p-issed off at something.....

Willyclay

Captain

The link below will get you to a free online library that has lots of manuals saved. While I did not see any 1948 models listed under McCulloch(previously Scott), there may be some info that will help you. FYI, these are Clymer manuals not factory versions.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=393281

LOGIN as directed then drill down to: Small Engine Repair, Marine/Boat Motors, McCulloch and then chose whichever model fits you best. Good luck!

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I found a 1946-1956 Scott-Atwater service manual on CD for all models in that year range at www.acmeoutboards.com
Several others available there, too.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!! Yeah, there was a LOT of useful information from Skippy..... :confused:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Maybe Skippy ran out of peanut butter:D:D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It's time to start working on the 1948 Scottie. I had links from Imported Skippy but his comments have all been deleted..... Anyone help out there? I plan on pulling the flywheel to check the points and want to clean the carb. Can I clean the carb well enough without removing it? Also will be replacing the impeller. :) I do have a link for a new impeller.

Thanks!!

Your Scott will likely have WICO coils and a Tillotson carb, right? At least that was my last experience with Scotts. Why are you afraid to remove the carb? It's no big deal. Removing it will make it a lot easier to clean it out.

The impeller set ups on the old Scotts always got me. Who would ever design a motor with the impellers above water??:confused::confused:

Of course, your 48 model may not be like that, but the mid 50's models were.

M

mrcrabs

Wow. Skippy went out and deleted all of his old threads himself because he got p-issed off at something.....

he probably got p-offed over people running up there post count in the middle of the night when there all drunkyed up:)

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Zeph!! Yes, Wico coil and flywheel. I checked the points and they were right at .020. The coil insulation looked great as well as the rubber sleeve. I have to find a new boot for the plug wire. Hope to find a used one somewhere. I have a new impeller on order and I will take the carb off. :) I really don't want to take it apart.... Should I just get some carb cleaner and let it soak? I reckon I could make a new gasket if necessary. The impeller is below the water. :)

Here is a coil and flywheel pic.

100_3308.jpg

100_3306.jpg

100_3310.jpg

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did remove the points on the Scottie and they were in great condition. No pitting. I lightly polished them and set the gap to .020. Amazing condition for 62 years old. :)

Hey Zeph - I manned up and pulled the carb off. The gasket stayed intact but I will make a new one. Would you recommend taking it apart or can I remove one of the screws on the top and spray carb cleaner into it. It is in very good condition.

I read about someone using a sealer inside the gas tank. Is it necessary to use this in the tank? Sounds like a good plan.... I did notice leakage when I put gas in it this summer. Not sure where it was coming from. I left gas in it when I was in New York and it had seeped out in a few months. Might have been a loose fuel line....

Impeller is on order. Can't wait to get it finished.....:D

I want it to look like this...... :eek:

Scottie.jpg
[/IMG]

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a coil and flywheel pic.

I have no wish to be an alarmist but I see what appears to be puddled oil around the crankshaft in the 1st pic. This COULD be an indication of a failed upper crankshaft seal or loose crank bushing. I devoutly hope I'm mis-reading!

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Tom - no puddled oil..... :) It was very dry and sticky but more of a film; maybe exhaust build-up from MANY years of use... I hope!! :D

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Best thing to do, is lay the motor on it's side and spray the ignition system down with brake cleaner. That will get all the oil off of the components. Don't worry, the brake cleaner will dry, before you get the flywheel nut back on.:D

Yea, coolness, you can remove the carb bowl very carefully and you shouldn't risk harming the gasket. If you want to do it, without removing the bowl, then I would just spray the carb cleaner into where the fuel goes into the carb.

Yea, I like that old Scott in your pic. Don't worry, with a little effort and patience, you can match yours to that one. Nice thing about outboards, is they're simple and cost effective to restore and just as much fun as anything else. On motors that have good compression, I just cleaned them all up nice and repainted them. They'll still look just as nice as a new one. That Zephyr you see in my avitar, was my very first and that's all I did to it.