Yamaha 1991 4.3 V6 Winterizing

lognum

Seaman
Greetings All,

Just purchased a Cobia 1992 Monte Carlo 188ES with a Yamaha 4.3 V6 stern drive. Looks and runs great and would like to keep it that way. Can anyone advise steps to winterized the motor? Greatly appreciated.

Lognum

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Yamaha 1991 4.3 V6 Winterizing

Fog engine and drain block and manifolds

lognum

Seaman

Great, thanks guys. Should have been more specific in my original question;

Anyone with a Yamaha 4.3 V6 1991 know where all the drains/stopcocks are? Anything I should look-out for, specific to that engine? Just to drain it.

Realize I'm new to the forum, but thought the experienced guys would read into the question, since I had mentioned motor specifics and the manuals for the Yamaha are long gone:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Problem is, there are so few Yamaha owners, there may not be another owner that knows how to drain it.
Basically, there are two block drains, one on each side of the engine near the center of the engine and just above the pan. Could be some kind of petcock or even a pipe plug. Remove the plugs and use a stiff wire or small screwdriver and make sure the holes aren't plugged up with dirt, rust, etc.
Same on the manifolds or, if it has a hose on the bottom for water in, you may be able to remove the hose to drain the manifolds and risers.
Pull the large hose off the engine circulation pump and drain. Pull hoses off the power steering pump cooler if you have power steering.
Not sure if you have an engine driven raw water pump or not. But empty it too.
Make sure all the hoses are empty, and what they go to is empty. You are just going to have to look around and make sure.

Capt Ken

Commander

OK, like Don said, both sides of engine block just behind engine mounts are brass T handle drains. On the bottom of the manifolds where the hoses connect, there is drains there. On the front lower starboard side of the engine is a power steering cooler and it also has a drain. Park the boat with the drive down so the exhaust cavity doesn't collect rain water.

lognum

Seaman

OK, like Don said, both sides of engine block just behind engine mounts are brass T handle drains. On the bottom of the manifolds where the hoses connect, there is drains there. On the front lower starboard side of the engine is a power steering cooler and it also has a drain. Park the boat with the drive down so the exhaust cavity doesn't collect rain water.

Thanks Guys! Great advice,

Cheers,

Lognum