Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mslater

Cadet
I would just like to say THANK YOU for this site/forums. I am attempting to resurrect a 91 Capri and have been able to find answers to most if not all of the questions I have had.
I am now working on the engine and drive (4.3/Alpha1 Gen II) and the first thing I ALWAYS do is obtain the service manuals. The fact that they are available for download is AWESOME!
So, THANKS!

Now if i can just get the outdrive unstuck I will be stoked! Anyone around the Baton Rouge, LA area with a large hammer and strong back? :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Thanks!

Welcome to the insanity of boat ownership!
Since you are familiar with the search feature, do a search on OD removal, or stuck OD...

I personally have used a 2x4 across the lower, lifted the od and gently dropped her bach down, increasing force and aafter a couple drops, it pushes off.

If your trim arms are on and working, you can also put the 2x4 on top of the lower unit between the OD and gimble, and trim UP, and will pop off as well.

Good luck

mslater

Cadet

Thanks, I had not thought of using the trim to break it free. I will have to try that tomorrow!

mslater

Cadet

Well I got the out drive off!! Woohoo! The gimbal bearing came out with the shaft and is stuck. Any good tips on getting it off the shaft? I tried to find a puller at autozone and oreilly but the arms are to short.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used this at work on 8 inch machine shafts with stuck bearings. Sprayed it and went to lunch. Upon return, bearing could be pulled off with much less force than if the puller was used alone. We started using it after a puller arm broke on a stuck bearing that was on a custom made shaft we did not want to heat.

Try spraying it with PB BLASTER sold at Walmart and auto stores. Tap it lightly to vibrate the fluid in and let it sit.

Try to knock off the bearing after 15 minutes or so. If not, repeat above and try again. You can even heat the gimbal bearing, NOT THE SHAFT to expand it a little if the PB should not work. But this stuff has even freed up muffler clamp bolts and other rusted stuff.

Just for the heck of it I sprayed the auto muffler bolts just to see how good the stuff was. Normally I just torque break them off. The nuts actually came off with minimal effort.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

PB Blaster is great stuff. Do as FisnFool suggested. Don't try to rush it. Let is sit and soak and do its job. It will work...

mslater

Cadet

I am soaking it with kroil oil now, I think thats pretty close to PB.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure. I do have Kroil I use for other things. PB foams slightly when you spray it. This may help it force it's way in.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Do you mean Aero-Kroil... That is good stuff. In my experience, it and PB Blaster work about as well as each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.