1993 4.3 yamaha stumbles when turning

andy nagel

Recruit
i have a 1993 4.3 yamaha that runs great in straight line, but stumbles during turns. it has a rochester 4 bll which has been rebuilt. i hooked a six gallon tank into fuel line eliminating my tank on boat and motor responded the same way. it will run great at wot until you turn the boat either direction. i ran 22 miles down the lake and it did not miss a beat until i turned and then it started bauging down. i can pull back the throttle and open it up again and it will immediatly come back to life. it almost acts the same as when i had the water pump(impellor)going bad- like it is in a limp mode, but an alarm would go off then and there is no alarm with this issue. engine starts and runs great until you turn. any help would be appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1993 4.3 yamaha stumbles when turning

it has a rochester 4 bll which has been rebuilt.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.....

I'm guessin' the float level is off...

andy nagel

Recruit

carb was rebuilt after problem started, but i have it off again and am going to have it gone through again.

andy nagel

Recruit

carb checked out fine. float level was correct- float weight was correct, according to mechanic everything looks good with carb. are there any safety- shutdown items within the electrical circuit i should lok at? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Can ya make it run Bad, just by turnin' the wheel, like idlin' at the dock,..??

Have ya struck yer head down in, 'n under the motor, lookin' for Wires that interfere with any of the parts doin' the turnin',..??

chriswoodall83

Recruit

I have the 4.3L V6 as well. we just bought the boat over the weekend, and it needs a carb as the other one is gone. Can you tell me which carb i need to get this back together?

Attachments

• 2012-01-10 07.51.03 (2).jpg
    2012-01-10 07.51.03 (2).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

I have the 4.3L V6 as well. we just bought the boat over the weekend, and it needs a carb as the other one is gone. Can you tell me which carb i need to get this back together?

Ayuh,.... In post #1,...
i have a 1993 4.3 yamaha that runs great in straight line, but stumbles during turns. it has a rochester 4 bll

andy nagel

Recruit

No model number? Figured they made alot of 4bbls.

can anyone tell me the correct float setting for this 4.3? the only numbers on the carb that reference anything is 8903. any yamaha gurues out there?

Bondo

Staff member

can anyone tell me the correct float setting for this 4.3? the only numbers on the carb that reference anything is 8903. any yamaha gurues out there?

Ayuh,.... I imagine it's a plain ole Rochester Quadrajet,...

The old Merc. or OMC specs oughta work just fine...

Merc went to the AFB/ Weber in the 90s, 'n OMC went outa business 'bout that time...