Installing cleats

snapshotmd

Seaman
I have a 16ft aluminum flatbottom boat. I want to install cleats to tie the boat up to the dock. I'd like to know if I could just use self tapping screws, or if I need to back it with washers. I would like to avoid backing the cleats because the underside where I want to put the cleats are enclosed. Access into these areas would mean removing rivets.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Installing cleats

I really don't think a sheet metal screw would do the trick for you. A backing plate and bolts would be the most secure way. My $.02

Mr. Ross

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are special fasteners for marine application that don't require access yet do provide backing. I can't remember the name, it's been awhile since I used them but most marinas carry the thing.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there is no way to get to the backside, I'd suggest mollys (or whatever they are called) unless you are in salt water or can find stainless units--I couldn't when I installed spring cleats but I only do fresh water and have had no problems.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Some sort of backing is just about a requirement for a cleat. Don't waste your time using screws - they won't hold under any appreciable amount of stress. I also wouldn't use anything but stainless, no matter your boating environment.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

No. You need a backing plate or bolt through.