1981 omc 3.8 sterndrive gear selection cable

Codyv

Cadet
I have a 1981 omc 3.8 sterndrive that i just bought for fairly cheap and the guy started working on it and he removed the gear selection cable and its just hanging out there and now im trying to.figure out where it goes. Ive never owned or worked on a boat before but i am a car mechanic so i didnt think it would be to difficult but i cant figure out where this thing goes at all

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

there are two shift cables on your OMC stringer. the lower one that goes between the lower unit and the detent box on the flywheel housing and the cable that goes between the controls binnacle and the detent box.

the main one is easy, and about $40 cable. the lower one is a $500 cable

which cable are you referring to?

Codyv

Cadet
The main one that comes from the shifter . I dont see a second cable anywhere either. Maybe im missing parts

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the cable that comes from the shifter should go to the shift detent box with the two shift interupt switches

the end of the shift cable is the red block in the pic

fetch

Codyv

Cadet
Is that on the top or side? I dont believe i have anything on there that looks like that

Scott Danforth

Staff member
technically the item is known as the OMC shift converter. the lower shift cable is under the cover with the limit switches

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Is that on the top or side? I dont believe i have anything on there that looks like that

that is on the back of the motor sitting on top of the intermediate housing.

you better hope you have it, or your new to you boat wont ever be running.

Codyv

Cadet
Behind the motor looking from the top where on a car it would be a bell housing there is just 2 long studs and thats it nothing else sitting on top ill try uploading a picture

Codyv

Cadet
Is it possible that it was switches to electric shift? There are 2 wires that come through where the lower cable is supposed to go into the lower half of the drive on the back

Codyv

Cadet
The lower cable is not there for sure just 2 wires going into the housing where the lower cable should be it looks as if the shift converter hasnt been there in years but the guy claims he drove the boat this spring and ive now been unable to reach him

southkogs

Staff member
Sure sounds like you're talking about shift wires for an electric shift. :eek:

Try posting photos of the out drive again.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If its an 81, its not an electric shift, it would be the last year of the hydro-mechanical shift stringers.