Any Suggestions for building a 55 gallon drum COMBO Test-Tank/Motor Stand?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello all....
I know that there are plans and pictures all over i-boats of engine stands....and cut-away plastic/steel barrels .....but I was hoping to see some examples of combinations that work well.

Here's what I want:

(1) I tinker with older (40's-60's) motors up to....say....35 HP. Some of them; especially the older 25's and 35's ARE A BEAR TO PULL OVER. I need a stand that will stay put.

(2) I have access to a steel 55 gallon drum....so I figure I would use that as the "tank".

(3) So....I would like to build a wooden stand in an "L" shape.....and have the 55 gallon drum rest on the bottom of the "L".....there-by weighting it down and preventing the entire thing to move around when the engine is pull-started.

(4) I would just like to see how any of you have assembled this.....the size of the lumber and how you've put it together in a way that lasts and is strong.

OK?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Any Suggestions for building a 55 gallon drum COMBO Test-Tank/Motor Stand?

A 55 gallon drum is big. Add in just half the water and you are looking at 220 lbs of just water.

I have a 30 gallon drum I have cut down by a 1/3 d and then I tip that empty under the lower unit and add water. My biggest dilemma is where to empty the water. I only use the drum when muffs won't work.

My motor statnd is similar to those shown here http://forums.iboats.com/non-repair...ing-o-b-motor-stand-instructional-266570.html (hint I used bolts AND construction adhesive to build it) and yes I went to tractor supply and put it on wheels. I usually block the wheels and pulling motors up to 50 hp really is easy.

You just need to make the stand tall enough and wide enough to accommodate all shaft lengths ......... mine has room for the drum between the lower brackets.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Bob; I've seen that thread and will probably build something similar.

On yours; are there cross pieces at the base for the drum to set on? I like the idea that the drum weighs so much....that's the idea; it will weight down the entire stand to the point where I can yank to my hearts content on the starter rope...and the whole thing won't budge.

My motors are typically light enough for me to lift it onto the stand and submerse the leg in the drum.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I actually pit the drum on a cement block to raise it up for small motors. and that also uses less water ;) The block fits nicely between the legs

64osby

Admiral

I built a stand from 1 1/2" square tube scrap metal and use a trash container with the 5 caster base.

th_FastwinTanktest2vid.jpg

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Here's one that I just built. It is stationary, but I built it with enough room to get behind it and work on it. I dont have my tank installed yet, but I do plan to put one under there. To build it I used (1)10" 4?4, (1) 10" 2?6, (3) 10" 2?4, some screws, lag bolts and 2 peices of pre-drilled angle iron.
Definitely not the way to go if you need to be able to move it around but it would be wide enough to accomodate a tank of some type.

20131021_221041.jpg20131021_221051.jpg20131023_201911.jpg20131023_202317.jpg

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer

Take the time to add a garden hose spigot near the bottom of the tank.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer

Here's what I use.

Barrel stand.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

While at house, used this low cost simple flusher : Sit engine on stand, pivot leg fully out, insert barrel, pivot leg along barrel fully in, fill water to correct leg height, start engine, flush in neutral, once done, connect hose to faucett and dispose off oily water properly through drain, once barrel is empty, pivot engine & barrel fully out again and take it out or leave it there.-

Having a faucett & hose connected to the barrel is perfect, when testing engine for longer time periods, water get's hot, you can release heated water portions through hose while adding cold water on top to maintain engine running at lower temp. Now at a Marina use muffs, used to be a double PITA cleaning the messy oily tank and lower leg along...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Barrel Flusher & Stand.JPG
    Barrel Flusher & Stand.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: