Seafoam

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
So my old '59 Johnny needs a carb cleaning (doesn't idle), so the low speed needles are probably dirty/gunked up. In an effort to possibly help, I added a full can of Seafoam to about 3 gals+/-, and went fishing after work. I can actually get really close to idle and hold it there without stalling, which is good. However... I lost lots of top end. Couldn't get on plane, and was maybe running 6mph. Over the weekend, without the Seafoam, I was cruising at 21mph all day. Was the high ratio of Seafoam to fuel causing the power loss? Nothing else has changed that I'm aware of. I have about 1.5gals left, will filling it and diluting the mix help?

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Seafoam

It probably loosened up some crud that plugged up another port. Do yourself the favor and do it right. You will be happier in the end and will have wasted less time.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm no expert but i've had a similar issue before and the main jet in the carb was clogged with gunk. I took the carb off, removed the float bowl and cleaned the carb thoroughly with carb cleaner, then blew out all the passages with air. It fixed the issue.

Maybe the seafoam loosened up some gunk and it got clogged in the jet?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

:facepalm: I didn't even think of that.

I fully intend to do the carb the right way, I was just antsy to fish today. Of course I got skunked, but I was out on the water, which is really all that matters.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, all that Sea foam could have easily broken something loose and with the main on the bottom of the float bowl it is the first thing to clog.

Get an inline filter in after your carb fix and you shouldn't have any problem, i have run a cheapo auto parts store fuel filter for 2-3 years and not had a single issue with carbs.

Maclin

Admiral

If it did clog the main jet(s) then your engine is running lean and you can end up with burnt pistons or worse if you keep running it that way :eek:

robert graham

Admiral

After you get the fuel system and carb clean and running right, buy a Walmart/Arttwood Fuel/Water Separator($27), install back on your transom, help eliminate water/debris contaminated fuel problems. That and just a bit of Stabil or Seafoam in each tank of gas will really help keep your motor running good...and you can fish more!;)

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

It probably loosened up some crud that plugged up another port. Do yourself the favor and do it right. You will be happier in the end and will have wasted less time.

I agree. Additives are not going to clean the carb. It needs to be removed and cleaned properly.