Fuel filter won't come off

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Just drained the gas tank after years... I went to replace the fuel water separator and I could not get it off! I was using a standard oil filter wrench, had plenty of grip with no slip at all. I put 10 gallons in the tank so i could start the motor up after I changed the filter. I started the engine with the old one on and it ran fine but still don't trust it enough with the bad filter to do a sea trial.

Any ideas on how to get it off?
I can answer most questions.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Fuel filter won't come off

Maybe 2 wrenches and 2 people.
Maybe take the whole unit off and put in vice upside down so you can oil it. Then the chisel
Maybe just replace the whole thing.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Maybe just replace the whole thing.

You can almost buy a complete unit for the cost of a filter. If the above suggestions don't work, I would agree with buying a new one.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Are ya turnin' it the right way,..??

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

I bought the filter already...
Turned it to the right looking from above. Lefty losey, righty tighty.

I personally never changed the filter myself. Lyle29464 what do you mean chisel it off?

alldodge

Staff member

Remove the filter mount, put it in a vice, drive a screw driver thru the center of it if the wrenches don't work first

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander

Hit the filter wrench handle with a hammer to shock it off. Or,if you have clearance, add a pipe to the end of the filter wrench handle for leverage. Last resort, pierce the filter with a large screwdriver and use that to turn it.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

take it off, flip upside down, spray with penetrating oil.......let sit a while.. give it another go... if still no good, toss it.....

oldjeep

Admiral

Big channel locks, crush the thing down so that you get a good grip on it before twisting.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

I had a old beat up filter wrench that bearly griped the filter so I drilled a couple holes in it and put 1in self tapping screws and kept hitting the wrench with a rubber mallet until it can off. A lot more gas came out them I expected i practically starved the motor of fuel before yanking it but almost a 1/2 gallon of gas came out with it down the bilge and onto my lawn.

Volphin

Lieutenant

I had a old beat up filter wrench that bearly griped the filter so I drilled a couple holes in it and put 1in self tapping screws and kept hitting the wrench with a rubber mallet until it can off. A lot more gas came out them I expected i practically starved the motor of fuel before yanking it but almost a 1/2 gallon of gas came out with it down the bilge and onto my lawn.

Well, at least you got it off! And you won't have to worry about any weeds (or grass!) in the part of the lawn that soaked up the gas. ;)

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer

The lawn will grow back plus it's in a spot that no one sees

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I use this,from napa. Works every time.image.jpg