1995 Volvo Penta Swap (302 to 351w)

ssabens

Recruit
I have just pulled my Ford built Volvo Penta SX setup (5.0FL - 302). I have a rebuilt 351w longblock (supposed to be 95, but haven't verified yet) and am trying to find out exactly what I will need to find and buy to make the full swap.

I have been looking for 1995 351w parts engines, but they seem to be far and few between, so I guess what I am hoping for is that I can get the parts I need from other year engines.

What I've been told I need:
Oil Pan - I picked one up from another 351w;

Flywheel and harmonic balancer - this is one thing I'm having trouble figuring out where I can get the parts from (can i use these parts from a f-250 and if so, what years, or just buy them from Napa or something)?;

I can't remember if there was something else I needed, so I'll stop with that.

I will also need the flywheel housing cover (the one off the 302 is rusted out) - can I use one from a truck parts engine, what years are compatible?

The last thing that I know I need is a new thermostat housing (the portion above the flange, we broke it when pulling the 302 out).

So, any advice is greatly appreciated - I have been trying to find this information all winter, and want to be sure I can be up and ready for fishing this spring.

Thank you in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1995 Volvo Penta Swap (302 to 351w)

I will also need the flywheel housing cover (the one off the 302 is rusted out) - can I use one from a truck parts engine, what years are compatible?

Ayuh,... I know little about Fords,+ even less about Volvos,...
But,...
I can tell you, Trucks don't have Flywheel Covers... They bolt into the transmission's bellhousing..

ssabens

Recruit

Ayuh,... I know little about Fords,+ even less about Volvos,...
But,...
I can tell you, Trucks don't have Flywheel Covers... They bolt into the transmission's bellhousing..

I believe that they are called inspection plates (but Volvo Penta calls it a flywheel cover). It is the plate between the flywheel and the engine, and has a hole for the starter to fit through.

It's number 56 in this diagram:
12546_big.gif

The part numbers for some of the items between the 302 and the 351 are just one digit off (the last one) - so it makes me wonder if they are different, or if Volvo is just trying to make more money.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of the parts you are talking about here should be interchangeable 302/351w....
The harmonic balancer you need to have the correct one for the crank/flywheel combo you run ,the balance is very critical .

exhaust and a lot of other parts will be the same .
bellhousing and parts associated to the rear (should ) work.

the major difference in 302 and 351w is the -deck height- heads and head bolt arrangement along with larger head bolts on 351w.
The 351w has a heavier crank assy also.
If you have the 351w from carb to oil pan you should be able to match the rest from your 302 parts.

fish

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice

I think that there may be some confusion between "flywheel cover" and this dust cover/debris cover/inspection cover, or ?????
A marine "flywheel cover" (sometimes "flywheel housing") would be refered to as a "bell housing" in the auto world.

1995 Volvo Penta 5.8L F/C should look similar to this:
12753.jpg

In the previous generation of AQ series drives, it would look like this:
12769.jpg

Yes, the 5.0L and 5.8L Windsor rear engine flange is same, so the SBF Windsor Flywheel Cover will fit either engine.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that there may be some confusion between "flywheel cover" and this dust cover/debris cover/inspection cover, or ?????
A marine "flywheel cover" (sometimes "flywheel housing") would be refered to as a "bell housing" in the auto world.

1995 Volvo Penta 5.8L F/C should look similar to this:
12753.jpg

In the previous generation of AQ series drives, it would look like this:
12769.jpg

Yes, the 5.0L and 5.8L Windsor rear engine flange is same, so the SBF Windsor Flywheel Cover will fit either engine.

from post #1

believe he is talkin tin parts here !

fish

RicardoMarine

Seaman Apprentice

fishinpa, I agree and understood.... you are correct!
I was more referring to post # 3, first sentence.

> ("I believe that they are called inspection plates (but Volvo Penta calls it a flywheel cover))" <

ssabens

Recruit

You MUST have the right harmonic balancer for the engine and if you swap the timing cover and water pump from the 302 to the 351 you will find you must remark the timing marks on the harmonic balancer. Reason, if you face the front of the engine, the 302 is set up with the timing indicator to the left of the harmoinic balancer, on the 351 it is on the right side of the balancer. You will find there is no room to do it on the left side of the balancer. (The raw water pump is in the way.)

Starter, flywheel, coupler, and bellhousing should all swap directly over.

First of all, thank you ALL for the information, it is definitely all going to help me with this project.

Bubba, you say that you've done this before, what years were the engines you swapped?

The reason I ask is because everything that I've read says the 302 flywheel is 50oz and the 351 is 28oz. The 302 used to have a 28oz flywheel in pre-1978 engines and then switched to 50oz for some reason, but I have no clue if there is any difference in the marine applications.

So, when I look at the cost of all of these parts on-line, and the price I can get a parts engine (or complete truck) for, it seems like I should look at getting the parts engine from the same year (95) truck - that is, if the parts are the same that I need - does anyone have any input on that? In particular, the flywheel, inspection plate/dust cover (whatever you want to call it ;) ), lower intake manifold, etc...

Oh, and the new 351 came with an oil pump

catalin

Recruit

I don't know if the original poster still cares but I've just completed this swap(sort of). Started with 1990 fourwinns vista265 with 302 and OMC Cobras 2bbl holleys. Now has twin 351w with 4v holleys 4160s.

I you will need new : oil pan and pickup also have modify to the dipstick tube to work on the pan. The drain holes are not the same. The oil pump is 302 but with the 351 hex rod that spins it. The manifolds will be ok the plugs fit fine. You can reuse your stock carb it will work ok, if you upgrade only go up to a 600cfm bigger is not better. All the brakets for the alt and pwr steering fit. I rebent my original fuel lines to fit. It works but it was a pain. Use a 28oz Flywheel and a 28oz balancer. The balancer is ***** to find on a stock truck. I got two aftermarket ones form summitt racing. They have three different timing marks on them so you are covered no matter where you timing pointer is. The best part is that its cheaper than an oem part form the local auto parts store. The distributor must be replaced, i upgraded for points to a Petronix billet distributor. Shinny but way too expensive. I reused all my cooling and exhaust hoses. Some of the cooling hoses are a little tight but not bad.

if i missed something or you have a question, ask.

1978 OMC 235

Recruit

I have 1978 OMC drive with a 351W. The 351W has low cylinder and oil pressure. Was given a 1995 302W from a F-150. The two motors are interchangeable except for a few part...intake, ignition and ext. But, I'm not sure about the flywheel and harmonic balancer. Can I use the 351W Flywheel on a 302W? Should I just keep what came with the 302W and not mix the flywheel and harmonic balancer from motor to motor. In addition, how do I remark the timing marks on the harmonic balancer. The 302 is set up with the timing indicator to the left of the harmonic balancer, on the 351 it is on the right side of the balancer. I am using the timing cover of the 351W. Hope to get a few seasons with the 302W and take my time to rebuild the 351W
Please help !

haulnazz15

Captain

You should probably start your own thread on this, but here's the short list: You intake manifold won't work from the 351w, it's taller/wider. Distributor should work, but the firing order is different from 351w/302 until the 302HO came out which used the 351w firing order. Harmonic balancer and flywheel will not interchange, the 95 302 will have a 50oz imbalance, they used 28oz on the 302's up until the mid-80's; the 351w uses a 28oz imbalance for all years. I'm not sure if you can mix the timing covers or not, but it sounds unlikely.

I would just rebuild the 351w if I were you. Depending on the boat you have, the 302w may be slightly underpowered. You will be giving up 40HP and as much or more torque by going to the 302.

1978 OMC 235

Recruit

I know about the intake and all that. I was just was not sure with the flywheel and balancer issue. Timing cover dose fit. Will rebuilt 351W but just not this year. Thanks!