what are these two outdrive and their worth??

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
ok, the first pics are of the outdrive on my family's old boat. I grew up on this boat and plan to update/restore it. I got the ok from my mom so it will likely be my winter project this year. I know both are mercruiser but I have no idea what the engines actually are and my grandpa has developed altzheimers (sp?) and is now clueless.

I can tell you that the second outdrive shots are of a boat that was bought for the spare outdrive and because the water housing on it was intact and was going to be used on the family's boat (as you can see it is missing on that engine).

both engines and outdrives ran as of 2004 but the points are now toast on both...easy fix.

I'm wondering what the engines are exactly and what the outdrives are exactly and what you think I can get by parting them out?

I'm looking to convert the family boat over to a 350 I/O setup as we have an old speedboat with a complete setup for it and I have spare running 350's. I posted a thread a while back to ID the setup which everyone stated is an unreliable OMC cobra setup. basically, what I'm wanting to do is use that speedboat setup to get the transom/stringers setup to accept a 350. then part out both the old 4-banger/mercruiser setups and converter the outdrive for the 350 setup from the OMC cobra to an alpha-1 outdrive using the money from the 4-banger setups to purchase the alpha-1.

main reason is I've read parts are more readily available/cheaper for the alpha-1. or should I just part the 4-banger setups out and use the cash to rebuild the OMC outdrive after fitting it to the family boat? I'm to suggestions but regardless the 4-banger is coming out and the 350 is going in. much more reliable setup compared to the 4-banger. I have too many memories of it breaking down and we'd have to get towed in or grandpa would try to rig the points, etc on it.

I can fix a 350/HEI setup in my sleep...and the extra power will be nice too.

here's the link to the OMC setup thread:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=457969

pics of the 4-banger setups:

Family boat:
stackz-albums-random-engine-shots-picture51886-2011-02-03-09-58-34-695.jpg

stackz-albums-random-engine-shots-picture53096-boat2-2.jpg

stackz-albums-random-engine-shots-picture53095-boat2.jpg

donor boat:
stackz-albums-random-engine-shots-picture53094-boat1-1.jpg

stackz-albums-random-engine-shots-picture53093-boat1.jpg

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: what are these two outdrive and their worth??

I can fix a 350/HEI setup in my sleep...and the extra power will be nice too.
Howdy,

Well, You easily do what you're planning.

If the HEI is the one in your other post, you'll need to sell the dist on Craigslist. It's not a marine distributor. from the description you provided of the engine it appears that the rest of the accy's aren?t either.

If you want a safe boat, you will need to change those parts to marine compliant (SAE J1171/USCG approved) parts too or you could have an incident that an insurance company might not cover!(especially if the victims lawyer discovered that you did not comply after being told by many people that you needed to......it's called negligence)

Now having said all that,

You can easily install a different engine and drive in that boat after you ensure that the transom, floor and stringers are NOT MUSH (rotted wood) You wouldn't want to get it all in there and keep having coupler failures!!!

It's difficult to determine how much you can get for unknown (condx) engines, drives and other other parts. Have a look on EBAY and Craigs list.

All that stuff DOES have value though. I sold all the OMC 460 King Cobra "junk" from the boat in my sig piece by piece for about $3500 over the course of a couple of years. ( $1450 for the drive alone!)

It's all "do-able"

Good luck,

Rick

stackz

yeah, I know I'll need to get the marine grade components. I wont even trust the components on that 350 to work as they have sat in the elements for several years. god only knows how rusted the inside of that distributor even is lol.

its just mainly that it has the risers, etc and all the wiring in place so when I transfer I'll have a template to use and the core parts to use as well. the family boat is going to need a new floor at least and likely, when I get into it, I'll redo the transom/stringers to new just so I know its been done.

ebay/craigslist is where I intend to sell most of the stuff. I just dont even know what to search for to get pricing info??

I mean obviously the outdrive has the "foot" to it and the gimble housing (thats the part that bolts to the transom right?) but this will be my first I/O setup I'm working with so properly identifying the major parts is the learning curve for me.

I mean do these have a specific year range they fit? were there different ratios available? what motor is that exactly? its a mercruiser 120hp engine is literally all I know about it. lol.

also, the outdrives...are they alpha 1 types or do they predate that stuff??

I'm wondering if I could use them for the 350 setup if I got a mercruiser bellhousing for it, etc?? I mean if I have two of them already...why buy more/different?

I'd love to look up the model numbers for the outdrives but the tags on them are faded to nothing.

edit: ok, found out these are the pre-alpha 1 "MC-1" outdrives and apparently the uppers and lowers interchange with alpha 1 uppers/lowers.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I can say for sure that your gonna have to do a stringer job of some sort at least in the engine compartment going from a 4banger to an 8 cylinder so you might as well plan for the worst! Look for a donor boat for the outdrive set-up and other esentials to complete the rig?

stackz

well, I already have a complete donor v8 boat to use via the link to that thread in the first post in here.

going to do like I've seen others do and just cut the majority of the boat away, leaving me with the controls/wiring and the transom area so I can go through it easier to see if I can get it running after I swap out the bad 350 for one of the ones I have laying around (before I proceed with moving stringers/ripping the 4-banger setup out of the family boat).

after reading some more (still reading right now so this might change)...I'm leaning at pulling apart the cobra outdrive first to make sure everything is ok. if its actually working fine. I'll just run it as-is and then install it into the family boat after redoing the stringers to support the 350 setup. If I have to redo the transom wood at this time, I will. If not thats fine as, from what I can tell, the OMC and Mercruiser setups share the same transom pattern (nice!) so I wont have to reglass and cut a new hole in the transom for the transplant.

then, while running the cobra setup. I will sell off the 4-banger setups (except the outdrives) and use this money to pay for the SEI adapter setup. Once the cobra outdrive craps out, I'll pull it and install the adapter and run one of the two MC-1 outdrives I'll then have sitting on the side.

I know at this point they are geared at 1.98:1 for the 4-banger while the cobra/alpha setups for 350's are 1.41:1 ~ 1.50:1 but whatever, its free outdrives to use.

I did read where a guy mentioned he melted the gears in a 4-banger outdrive using it on a 350 setup but at least I'll have one hell of a holeshot until that happens haha.

anyway, I think this sounds like a plan to me! also, how notorious are the cobra trim pumps for going out? apparently the one I have is likely dead due to people's comments but they dont look that expensive in good used shape on ebay. seen several for $100 shipped.

comments?