New control box for 1984 Mercury 90

gridsid

Recruit
My control box is falling apart and I'm looking to replace it. Does anyone know if the current control boxes are compatible with older (i.e., '84) outboards? I'm looking at something like this one:

Amazon.com: Mercury/Quicksilver Parts Rem.Ctl.Msc4K Sd Mt15'Harn&P/T: Sports & Outdoors

I'm planning on taking the boat in to a mercury dealer to get the panel installed, but if its not too complex of a project, I'd just do it myself. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Joe

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New control box for 1984 Mercury 90

The control shown in the add is for a standard boat and not realy ment for a pontoon. Pontoons usally have a diffrent mounting setup than the one pictured . depending on what plugin is on the motor. You realy need to measure your old cables and see just what plug is on the motor before spending $$$ and not get a controler that will cost more than a new one of the correct fitment. In other words is the plugin a 8 or6 pin unit? Are the old cables the same length as the new ones? You can contact the seller and Iam sure that they can tell you if it will work on your setup. JMO
Oldman570

M

Maxz695

That is a commander 2000 I bought one Brand new without TT switch or the key and overboard switch for 60 bucks on ebay. I aso bought new cables for it but they have the barrel on both end type cable attachments This throttle does not have the saftey neutral switch and will start in gear. I bought a push to choke dash harness and the only thing i,m using the throttle for is throttle and shifting. I like it. You can get the harness to adapt to the shifter that has all the wires for TT key overboard switch saftey neutral kill etc but like stated make sure it will fit the plug on your engine pigtail and has the same amount of pins to Insert it. Most harnesses like the one I bought have the extra wires for a 4 stroke set up. Allarms sensors etc. They can be just left unhooked if not needed. The problem lies in the mounting on the boat.

gridsid

Recruit

The control shown in the add is for a standard boat and not realy ment for a pontoon. Pontoons usally have a diffrent mounting setup than the one pictured . depending on what plugin is on the motor. You realy need to measure your old cables and see just what plug is on the motor before spending $$$ and not get a controler that will cost more than a new one of the correct fitment. In other words is the plugin a 8 or6 pin unit? Are the old cables the same length as the new ones? You can contact the seller and Iam sure that they can tell you if it will work on your setup. JMO
Oldman570

Thanks for the advice, really helpful. The boat is actually Arima Sea Ranger 17 so I think the 15' cables should be fine. I'm going to measure this weekend to be sure and check the plug to see if it looks compatible.

- Joe

M

Maxz695

I,m using 12 ft on my 1750 procraft bass boat but having them a bit longer wouldn,t hurt but too long would not be good

Laddies

Banned

That control is MSC 4000 for smaller 4 stroke engines with the electrical eight pin bullet connecter for under the cowl engine plug in and intergral P/T so if it will work you will at least need harness adaptors or spice it to your side connector harness. Don't buy it inless the seller can tell you it is compatable to your harness.