2010 9.9 4 stroke Mercury losing prime ARE THEY ALL JUNK even new?

kenww

Cadet
I have this 9.9 Mercury on my drift boat that has about 20 hours on it and you can go up river and it will just quit pump the bulb and go again. Sometimes longer then other times. It's done this since it was brand new. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn"t find a thing wrong. It is still under warranty. I think they are a peice JUNK (Or maybe a smarter dealer to work on it.)

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 2010 9.9 4 stroke Mercury losing prime ARE THEY ALL JUNK even new?

I have this 9.9 Mercury on my drift boat that has about 20 hours on it and you can go up river and it will just quit pump the bulb and go again. Sometimes longer then other times. It's done this since it was brand new. I took it to the dealer and they said they couldn"t find a thing wrong. It is still under warranty. I think they are a peice JUNK (Or maybe a smarter dealer to work on it.)

I am a fan of the 60's-80's 2 strokes, but there is NO reason why that motor should be acting this way. Take it to another dealer, or moan and complain at the shop and tell them to GIVE YOU A NEW MOTOR IF THEY CANT FIX IT!! Seriously man, you paid real good money for that motor, and what I have seen, if they cant fix it they give you a new one. That is the case with all warranties.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Butttt, if you want to fix it yourself, holler. Sounds like either a blockage in the carb or a defective fuel pump. If they dont fix it for ya, we will.

kenww

Cadet

That sounds like a plan THANK YOU KEN

Mi duckdown

Commander

You have to call or go to merc.com and consult with them. PERIOD .No reason to pay money on warranty.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Air could be sucking into the fuel system causing the motor to eventually run out of fuel.

Test by temporarily installing a clear hose between the fuel pump and carb, start the motor and watch for any air bubbles passing thru the clear hose.

Replace the clear hose once finished with repairs as it is NOT rated for fuel.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Ken,
someone else on here reported the same exact problem. He said he removed a Check valve some where going from the fuel tank to the engine. The only check I know is in the primer bulb, but he said it fixed it!! That engine is a very well made motor!! Steal another tank from dealer. That fuel pump will suck the sides of my tank in 1" if I forget to open tank vent. Even in that condition the motor runs fine.
The carb has real small passages in it so you must take good care of your fuel.

Mi duckdown

Commander

So what part of under warranty Did you not understand? Or maybe a smarter dealer to work on it.)

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe it's the fuel line delaminating from ethanol fuel?

toolman99

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know about thye 9.9 4s but on my 90 4s they told me NOT to install a bulb primer, the engine will draw fuel as required.

jokyle

Recruit

I know this is probably late for you, just saw the post. I have a 9.9 Bigfoot Merc, same problem. I had it T'd off the main fuel line. Unless it was throttled up well off idle it would eventually run out of fuel, have to pump bulb and restart. Would repeat this several times per trip unless conditions required it to run hard, then there was no problem. It really only occurred at lower rpms. I added a fuel separator on my main engine, ran the kicker line out from there directly to the motor and the problem stopped immediately. I was told the fuel pump isn't strong enough to pull the fuel directly from the main tank unless the rpms are kicked up. Works great now though.