Chrysler Outboard 115 Run Temperture

stoney747

Cadet
I have a Chrysler 115 outboard that I got runnig this year. I replaced the head gasket, water pump and impeller. I also cleaned out the cooling bypass valve. I added some key gauges to monitor it while its running. The gauges are the water presure and the temp gauge. My consern is when I put the engine in a test barrel or in the river. (when cold) , The water presure gauge shows good pressure 10- 15 psi and after 30 sec, it drops off. It never comes up again but a little above stop. even at 3000rpm. water is heavely coming out of the talttell holes. the temp on gauge reads 135 pretty quick I think and at cruise its reading 165 to 180 if i push past cruise.At idle, ican put my hands on the heads. Do I have a bad thermostat that is opening to quick? Runs great though. Any sugestions welcome.
Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler Outboard 115 Run Temperture

Why argue with success? Your engine is running well and not overheating. The thermostat is opening and too soon is way better than too late, don't you think?

The ony "problem" you have is a "useless" pressure gauge. That might be corrected by relocating the sensor. I have a 140 I acquired that has the pressure sensor mounted in the square plug at the base of the block. That's where the water initially enters the block so pressure there should be constant--- I don't know--I have not run the engine yet.

john from md

Commander

My experience with checking water pressure on my Force 85, is that it is not worth the trouble. The normal running water pressure after the thermostat opens is about 1.5 psi. Finding an inexpensive direct reading gauge for that low pressure is almost impossible.

I have a temp gauge on it and a tell tale and I monitor it that way.

John

stoney747

Cadet

Thank you guys. I found there are two temp thermostats out there. I see 145 deg and 110 degree. The manual says 145. When i look on line to order from differnt places, I see 110 deg. Witch one is right?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That's one I really can not help with. I have had good luck with thermostats and to date have not had to replace one. (not bad for a 30 to 40 year old part)

However, if it were my engine, I would opt for a 145 degree since any internal combustion engine runs better at hotter temperatures. See if anyone else has another opinion.

john from md

Commander

I agree with Frank. My 85 runs at 140 on the gauge and 110 seems awful cold to run.

John