1999 25 mercury part out?

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I have a 1999 25 2 stroke merc that has bad compression in the bottom cylinder. To rebuild it is gonna be about 800 bucks. My question is am i better off breaking the motor down and parting it out on ebay or elsewhere? I have another motor and gave 150 bucks for this one just for parts. It is a complete electric start motor that still runs but like i said is on its last leg.

Cosmetically the motor is 100 percent. no cracks and no scratches basically. Its a shame its burnt but o well. I have been offered 300 for it by a local mechanic who wants it for parts as well.

I would love to rebuild it but cant see the value gained in that investment.

Also is it possible to re-hone and ring just that cylinder? it has about 60 lbs of compression

Tell me what you think!

Thank you

M

Maxz695

Re: 1999 25 mercury part out?

1 cylinder can be bored out and over sized without having to r bore the other. Over sized pistons weigh exactly the same as a standard piston. a complete over sized piston with rings wrist pin and bearings go for about 85 dollars on ebay. The cost of getting it bored I don,t know. I guess if there isn,t any significant damage that you can hone and get a standard set of rings. That isn,t that hard to do. There are instructions on honing processes to help you in the Manual. Hope this helps you some

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice

awesome, thank you. I will look into that.

Basically if i get it running i can sell it for 1200 (safe guess)

The key is how much i spend to get it running properly where i can sell it in good conscience.

Verse breaking it down and parting it out. Who knows how long that will take, that is the gamble that way...

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice

so if i want to go the 1 cylinder rebuild all i need to buy is the piston kit if i send it off to be bored.

And best case senario is i can smooth it out with a hone and put new rings on the old piston? I can prolly get that done pretty cheap.

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice

i figure its worth a shot, if i can drop 150 bucks or so in it and sell it for much more i mine as well do it.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a mercosil block. Check with your local machine shop first if you decide to rebuild. It requires a different honing process than cast iron. Not every shop is familiar with the requirements.

2dbit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you find a good reputable place that you can send your block to for the work, please post it. I'm thinking we're in the same boat here, teetering on the edge between sinking the money into a rebuilt or just parting out the motor...

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice

For re-bore jobs i have been recommended to Mar-Fab and Precision machining (i think that is the name) its in missouri

arkansashunter

Seaman Apprentice

golden precision possibly is the name, heck maybe somebody knows what im talking about lol

2dbit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seems like all the places I find that do replating/repair of cylinders want about ~$200 just to replate...