mercury 225 HP offfshore

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1996 mercury 225 HP offshore motor and she will run at idle to around 1500RPM and if you can get the motor up to 2500 RPM with out stalling she will run fine all the way to 4800 RPM @ 32 KTS, The fuel system is completely brand new from the filler caps & hoses, fuel lines to the racor water filter, right up to the carb's. she had a tune up and ran in a drum, she ran fine but under load between 1,500 and 2,500 RPM she will stall, any one ever have this same problem.

blue_matt1

Cadet
Re: mercury 225 HP offfshore

I have a 1996 mercury 225 HP offshore motor and she will run at idle to around 1500RPM and if you can get the motor up to 2500 RPM with out stalling she will run fine all the way to 4800 RPM @ 32 KTS, The fuel system is completely brand new from the filler caps & hoses, fuel lines to the racor water filter, right up to the carb's. she had a tune up and ran in a drum, she ran fine but under load between 1,500 and 2,500 RPM she will stall, any one ever have this same problem.

I have a 200hp 1994 v6 stalls bogs at 2500 rpm but can drive through what you would call a flat spot have had carbs done new stator plugs new fuel bulb checked tank noticed some corrosion on connections at switch box have since cleaned up yet to try tough yet need it in the water does yours feel like loosing a cylinder or two and note of engine changes??

circlehook

Seaman Apprentice

matt what seems to be happening is when in a no wake zone at around 5 Kts. and you need to speed up to get out of someones way or clear a draw bridge she stall just by increasing 500 Rpm. if you can achieve 2,500 Rpm or higher she runs fine right through full throtle about 32 Kts. and after stalling she will start in netural with no problem. is this the same problem you are having. Bob

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Testing each cyl with an inductive tach should show a varying reading at that throttle setting if the problem is ignition related Take a very close look at the timer plate wires for contact with anything throughout their range of motion, it is possible that a wire is chaffed and shorting at that point of throttle movement.

Otherwise, one carb may have a speck of crud restricting a transition port, reducing fuel flow in the mid-range, causing a lean miss at that spot in the throttle.

blue_matt1

Cadet

matt what seems to be happening is when in a no wake zone at around 5 Kts. and you need to speed up to get out of someones way or clear a draw bridge she stall just by increasing 500 Rpm. if you can achieve 2,500 Rpm or higher she runs fine right through full throtle about 32 Kts. and after stalling she will start in netural with no problem. is this the same problem you are having. Bob

Mine will idle along happy in harbour but as soon as revs get upto 2000/2500 it starts to bog /stall doesnt cut out though and it needs clearing normally just floor it and it clears and flies sometimes it worse than others
Does sound similar I basiclly live with it by flooring it when pulling off but I would like to know whats causing it

circlehook

Seaman Apprentice

well I gave up and brought it to the repair shop will have to wait on the answer and will post what ever it is, being in that spot of stalling around other boats is not a safe place to be, so back in the repair shop will post results later Thanks Guys Bob

blue_matt1

Cadet

Well I hope you have more luck than my repair place he basicly told me he feels my engine has been modified so ive lost my midrange I feel this is rubbish cause its almost like a switch from running good to running bad ile wait to hear from you then on how you get on im suspect of my switch box on the bottom some of the terminals were green ive cleaned em up and not had nice weather yet to try it

blue_matt1

Cadet

well I gave up and brought it to the repair shop will have to wait on the answer and will post what ever it is, being in that spot of stalling around other boats is not a safe place to be, so back in the repair shop will post results later Thanks Guys Bob

Any news yet on what repair shop think your problem is??????

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

Matt very sorry about the delay but I forgot all about the tread yes I had the motor fixed, it was the anti syphon valve on the gas tank a $7.00 part, and after (3) shops and $800.00 each, for a total of $2,400 it was a $7.00 part, since then it never stalled again Matt I am really sorry

circle hook

Petty Officer 1st Class

P.S. matt sorry for leaving you hanging please let me know if you get this message again sorry & thanks Bob