2001 Mercury 200 CXL stator question please

Mike Mas

Cadet
Stator Question
I'm new to the forum and don't know how to start a new topic so I figured I start here...
We have a 2001 Mercury 200 CXL outboard ser number is 0T391198
We now have a no start situation .... Ran rough at idle ... Fine at top end...then started stalling while running... After it was warmed up....Fuel system all good....lead to electrical ... Have spark at all coil packs...trigger tests out good....but resistance test on stator is 441 ohms ...cranking 168volts using DVA ....can't get a running test as it won't run....if I'm correct the ohms should be 660 to 710 which leads me to be leave it's the stator .... But can't confirm it as I can do a running test.....which in the Service Manuel says running the number should be >200.
Options ??? Stator on the boat is $500 so don't want to guess
Thanks
Capt Mike Mas

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi Mike Mas, welcome to iboats!
I went ahead and took the liberty of helping you create your own topic by moving your question over in to the Mercury & Mariner Outboards sub forum which just for reference only, the following was the archived topic you started out in, Mercury stator question.

As a starting point for trouble shooting your stator system, try having a look around the CDI Electronics website under Technical Support Documents/Troubleshooting Guide as they offer some pretty good tips for the outboards ignition systems, etc.. http://www.cdielectronics.com/

Hope it's an easy solution for you, good luck.

Mike Mas

Cadet
Thanks...actually I did and it did help just wanted to see if someone could confirm my findings....CDI does not have the Stator for this motor ...any other merchants you recommend?

Dukedog

Captain
if its not within specs with tha plain 'ole ohm test it won't be in spec runin' either.... try pro marine..

Mike Mas

Cadet
Heard on this motor the regulators should be replaced with the stator ....is that correct?

Dukedog

Captain
Not necessary if they test good..... if ya didn't have a "charging" (mainly excess voltage) or tach problem of any kind they should be good.... stator runnin'/chargin' coils are completely separate circuits.....

Mike Mas

Cadet
That's what I thought as I knew they were separate systems and we have no charging issues
Thanks for your help, going with the stator

Mike Mas

Cadet
Ok bouncing between boats and charters and got back to the stator issue....motor started long enough to get a running DVA read on the stator ...stalled again once it warmed up ....bottom line static resistance readings still are 421 and should be 660-710 ....service Manuel saids running volts should be >200 they were 305v so I'm assuming that with the 421 it's the stator even if the running range is ok ...is that correct?

Mike Mas

Cadet
Well based on CDI the specs in the SELOC Manuel are incorrect and the Stator is within spec...back to the drawing board