Mercury stator question

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed some stators just have 2 wires going to them, and some have 4 or more. are the 2 stator wires just for charging? or do they actually help create spark/or signals of some sort?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Mercury stator question

Yep my two wire stators do both. perhaps stators with four wires do both concurrently. The trigger is what creates the signal to fire, via the cdi, well in my motor it does.

Dukedog

Captain

Lemme see if I can "remember" this. Gotta lot of wore out brain cells.
2 wire-chargin and condensor for fire on small motors
4 wire-chargin (two yellows), fire one switch box (one red, one blue)
6 wire-chargin (two yellows), fire one (inline six) or two switch boxes (one red, one red/white, one blue, one blue/white). Can be 9, 16, or water cooled 40 amp system.
8 wire-chargin (four yellows), fire two switch boxes (one red, one red/white, one blue, one blue white). two 20 amp air cooled regulators.

This is best I can remember without diggin' through a bunch of old grease stained books. Sure someone will correct if its wrong. Won't hurt my feelin's cause at my age I don't have any. Taday's politics have seen to that. Later..............D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Some older Mercs (pre 1980) had battery operated ignitions. These used two wire stators and rectifiers to charge battery. Newer Mercs used Stators with several more wires to provide voltage to switchboxes to generate spark. These had 2 or 4 stator wires to supply battery charging via rectifiers or voltage regulators.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The stator in my motor has four wires. One winding for low speed and one for high.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love the old Mercury's. I guess the main motor's in question would be a my 1969 50HP 4 cylinder, and my 1971 80HP 4 cylinder. neither of them have spark. they both have distributors. it almost look's to me like the 50hp only has 2 wires, and I haven't started working on the 80hp yet. I can honestly say I haven't started diagnosing either one yet. it does look like they have the same ignition systems though.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

CDIElectronics has an excellent troubleshooting guide available for FREE on their Support p[ages. Get it, find the Merc Distributor section and follow the easy directions to test your ignition and figure out what is wrong.

Remember, there is NO RETURN on electrical parts, test TWICE and PROVE the fault before ordering any parts.

Any problems, repost and we will help you get it going.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That '71 Motor may have the battery powered, Distributor-based CDI Ignition system. The '73 model did. If so, you will need to have power on the red and adjacent white wire on the switchbox in order to have spark.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Both the 1969 and 1971 have 2 wire stator for charging only, about 4-6 amps on 50hp and 6-9 amps on 80hp.