Mercruiser 3.0 (2005) - Bayliner 175 - Sheared bolt head found in bilge - HELP!

Mikejr

Seaman
2005 - Bayliner 175 w/ Mercruiser 3.0 I/O. On annual family vacation to lake in BC's interior. During pre-trip check, found this (see pics) bolt head in the bilge. After a couple hours feeling my way around and using a GoPro and iPhone, couldn't find where it came from. I'm hoping someone will recognize the markings and be able to give me a few places to search. Given it's sheared, I'm expecting this will be a big job to remove the shaft and then repair, especially if its somewhere inaccessible (is there ever an accessible boat issue?). Any educated guesses on where to search are gratefully appreciated!

Thank you
Mike

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I`ll guess and say its a starter bolt. you should have 2 bolts for the starter. Either a straight across or a staggered pattern.
th
th

Last edited:

Mikejr

Seaman
I`ll guess and say its a starter bolt. you should have 2 bolts for the starter. Either a straight across or a staggered pattern.
th
th

Thank you! - Just checked and both the longitudinal and upward (bottom up into flywheel housing) are in place.

Does anyone recognize the marking pattern on the bolt head? It's quite unique, at least on my engine.

Again thanks for the help!
Mike

Fun Times

Staff member
Does anyone recognize the marking pattern on the bolt head? It's quite unique, at least on my engine.
Hi Mike, I don't believe your photo made the trip in your first post as I don't see anything including a possible link from say photo bucket. See if the following link will help with posting a photo, Photo Upload Tutorial

fhhuber

Lieutenant
There is the chance that a mechanic dropped it in middle of doing a job and never found the busted off head....

You'd be amazed at the stuff I have found in the bilge.

Mikejr

Seaman
Ended up taking a flyer and calling mercruiser directly. Not only did they answer, but a tremendously helpful fellow answered and looked at their 3.0L. It took him about 2 mins and he pointed me to the Alternator mounting bolts. After a 2 hour car trip for $.75 of bolts, all fixed.

Thanks all,
Mike