1986 Mercruiser 170hp 470 3.7 over heating problem

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all 470 members need help. Ive done every test and changed everything i could change to fix this issue. Head a compression test done on the coolant system. Only leak found was a small one on the front of the heat exchanger. Head gasket good, Exhaust and coolant seperation gasket new, All new coolant and raw water hoses, new impeller, new thermostat, new gasket for heat exchager ends, new ujoint bellow, shifter bellow, exhaust bellow, water flapper for exhuast so water cant get into block. Motor oil is good and clean. Coolant is good and clean. Pulled raw water hose off the fitng at idle speed no water rev it up then alot of water put it in gear alot of water. Pulled hose conection for raw water to front of heat exchanger was geting water but i was hot as hell and seemed like it was boiling and trying to go back threw the intake hose in. Also blowing coolant out over flow bottle. new radiator cap. any ideas please.IMAG0286.jpgIMAG0287.jpgIMAG0316.jpgIMAG0286.jpg

86 century

Ensign
Re: 1986 Mercruiser 170hp 470 3.7 over heating problem

If your not running in salt water it can be changed to fresh water cooled.

I am gana get all kinds of crape over this one I know of four that are out there that have been done with great results.
One is on its fourth year and hasn't fallen apart yet.

You replaced the bellows, it's possible the water hose is kinked. It's real tight in there. You had no flow at idle, that's not normal, good flow with RPM's. I'm thinking problem is outside the boat, kinked hose, or problem with the impeller/housing.

Did you have an overheat issue before the work was done?

zlman1970

Seaman Apprentice

If your not running in salt water it can be changed to fresh water cooled.

I am gana get all kinds of crape over this one I know of four that are out there that have been done with great results.
One is on its fourth year and hasn't fallen apart yet.

Any more details, web links, interested in the details of this conversion.

guyaverage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^Hopefully not....DONT attempt to convert to raw water cooling. Sure it will work fine.....until it doesnt (google "galvanic corrosion"). A properly functioning 470 cooling system will not overheat. Fix the problem, dont DYI-engineer a new one.

Only leak found was a small one on the front of the heat exchanger.
How did you fix this? A slight water leak around the gaskets is a lesser concern, but any antifreeze (if thats what it was) coming out of the heat exchanger is a definite problem. Cracked tube inside the heat exchanger..?

Pulled raw water hose off the fitng at idle speed no water rev it up then alot of water
This is a big problem. No water at idle= kinked hose or a problem with the pump. Check the hose under the bellhousing. If its not situated correctly, it can kink, depending on how far up or down the drive is. Look at it with the drive up, down, halfway, etc. Next check the hose (inside the boat) from the transom to the heat exchanger. Very easy to get this 3 ft hose kinked, depending on how its routed. I've personally been down that road before...

Pulled hose conection for raw water to front of heat exchanger was geting water but i was hot as hell and seemed like it was boiling and trying to go back threw the intake hose in.
Was the hot water coming out of the heat exchanger, or the raw water hose from the drive? Hot water from the exchanger is plausible because the hose from the exchanger plugs into the riser and dumps the lake water into the exhaust, and the exhaust pressure is pushing back the water. In and of itself this isnt a problem. Unless the exhaust flappers are stuck shut, or installed wrong, not allowing exhaust pressure and the water to exit. You might want to revisit this area.

If you meant you were getting hot water and exhaust pressure from the raw water hose coming from the drive, then the drive needs to come off and you need to check the water pump/tubes/pocket cover. You'll have to separate the drive halves to do this.

Also blowing coolant out over flow bottle.
Que scary music NOW....This is big problem. You are getting pressure into the antifreeze side, and that has several sources.

Head gasket or problems with the head/block mating surface is always a possibility.

Another would be the riser to manifold surface; either the surfaces arent flat (or they are corroded), or the gasket is wrong one/defective/bad.

Holes or cracks in the heat exchanger would allow water pressure from the raw water pump to cross over into the coolant side. This would allow intermixing of the two waters but I dont know if enough pressure would build up to push water around a new coolant cap and out of the tank. Maybe, I dont know. I doubt it.

Another possibility is a cracked head or exhaust manifold. If your exhaust manifold is cast iron, these were prone to cracking, in the area of the #4 and up near the riser mating area. The later style ones ('85-'89) were aluminum and less prone to this. Pull the riser off and shine a bright light down into the abyss. You might need to pull the manifold off and clean it up to see whats going on. Mine had a big old crack (I have pictures of it somewhere, if I can find them, I'll post). Upgraded to a later style aluminum manifold. Not cheap.

Good luck, keep us posted. If you dont find the problem, consider dynamite... :D

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Pulled hose conection for raw water to front of heat exchanger was geting water but i was hot as hell and seemed like it was boiling and trying to go back threw the intake hose in. Also blowing coolant out over flow bottle. new radiator cap. any ideas please.

That is WAY WRONG!!!! If you pulled the front hose off of the heat exchanger that should have a really good flow of cold water. Something is seriously wrong there. There is only hose between there and the impeller pump. So kinked hose at the transom, bad water pocket (where the outlet for the impeller pump goes into the outdrive) Or possibly the pump housing is shot and the new impeller is not working.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Que scary music NOW....This is big problem. You are getting pressure into the antifreeze side, and that has several sources.

Excess heat will also cause antifreeze to boil out of the cooling system as it expands and boils If it blows coolant out of the reservoir when the engine is cold, well, that's a problem.

I also wonder how the cam and cam seals on the front of the engine would hold up to fresh water and rust. Rust usually causes seals to leak. hmmmmm..

Might also want to check where the water hose runs through the voltage regulator and see if it's all plugged up.

Attached is the cooling flow diagram from the book. Back track the seawater hose for flow from the excanger then voltage regulator then at the transom, then..... on the other side of the transom.

If no flow inside the boat then issue is outside...

Let us know what you find

Attachments

• coolant flow 3.7.jpg
    coolant flow 3.7.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 10

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will recheck the raw water hose. When i rev it up or i put it in gear i was geting fresh water from the hose then. But when i pulled the end cap off the there was coolant in the heat exchanger on the front. And alot of presure and i could smell exhaust from it as well. I know heat exchanger has a leaking waiting for new one now. and coolant was blowing from over flow container. Every hose i squeesed and it was hot and with presure in it.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No leaks from the front of motor and looked under by the circulating pump no drips

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulled raw hose off the copper inlet on the inside of boat. Also pulled it off on both side of voltage regulator. But only got major flow when it was in gear forward and revers and in the throttle rev up.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brand new impeller and housing and gasket

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When i pulled the front hose off the heat eexchanger it was get water flow at rev and in gear. But there was enough presure to push water back. And yes that is coolant you see from the heat exchanger. I dont think thats suppose to be there either. Think just raw water

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

So you had enough pressure in the coolant that it pushed the raw water back. Sounds like you have a serious case of the coolant being pressurized by the engine gasses. I suspect head gasket problems. Do a compression check and cooling system pressure test (borrow the tools from Autozone).

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How many psi do i build up for the system and will it have a issue doing a pressure test with the heat exchanger leaking ?

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there a certain way the that water flap in the exhaust has to go?

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and one i do a pressure test will it show sign of coolant leaking from the head gasket? and how do i tell if its internal or manifold or coolant resivor?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

About 15 as I recall, it might result in a slow decrease of the pressure depending on how large a leak.

It folds down to let the exhaust gasses escape. Just like shown here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...473.png&inbr=908&bnbr=230&bdesc=EXHAUST+ELBOW

It will show signs of high pressure gasses from the engine leaking into the coolant system. If you get a significant increase in pressure it is probably the head gasket.

southwest395

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the exhaust flap is in right.