Alpha 1 Gen 2 water pump replacement

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Getting ready to do my first water pump kit on my 1997 Alpha 1 Gen 2 out drive. I've got service manual #14 in front of me, but I can't find the procedure or even a mention of it anywhere. Does any one have a page number to reference or any tips?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 water pump replacement

It's not all on one or two pages, just part of the overhaul process of the lower unit in section 3B.
I have taken the different pages and put them together in a separate file for replacing the impeller.

View attachment A1G2 Impeller Replace.pdf

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Doh! Got it. Thanks guys. Don, that collage you made is awesome.

Any tips/tricks/common issues or mistakes to watch out for?

Also.. I'm seeing two versions of the kit everywhere.. one with the complete housing and one with just the wear plate. The collage that Don made shows the cheaper one with just the wear plate. Should I get that kit or the more complete (expensive) one?

Don S

The impeller kit is all you should need. The housings seldom need replaced. Just look at your old one, if there aren't a lot of deep grooves worn in the surface, it should be fine.
One note on the impeller kits, the aftermarket kits do NOT have the face seal installation tool included. Only the OEM kits have them.
You can buy them separate, and you will need one to set the seal properly.

http://www.iboats.com/Face-Seal-Too...2046656--session_id.551132901--view_id.172013

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

IMHO go OEM Merceuiser, after all, the difference will probably be less than the cost of 2 gallons of gas this summer;).

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

repair kit is actually cheaper here than any of the amazon ones

Not from what I'm seeing? Also.. Amazon has free 2 day shipping when you sign up for a "Prime" subscription trial.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not from what I'm seeing? Also.. Amazon has free 2 day shipping when you sign up for a "Prime" subscription trial.

Didnt know they had free shipping thanks for the info.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

mark1905: I was in exactly the same spot as you 13 months ago about to tackle my first a1g2 water pump replacement. What made sense to me was be prepared to replace all the parts including the pump housing so I bought the complete oem 817275q05 kit; this shows being for alpha and vazer drives. What I found in the kit was instead of the 3 separate pump housing gasket pieces, there was a 1 piece "faceplate" (866233001) that has a rubberized bottom, steel mid-section, then rubber edge lip that the pump housing fit over and impossible to not align properly; no sealer needed. As in the instructions Don included above, I did use 2 alignment pins (91-821571A1) and installation was a breeze. The full kit included all the seals, seal installation tool, quad ring, drain plug seal, water pump tube o-rings and even the carrier assembly that is below the faceplate in case I wanted to replace that also. Any extra parts from the kit I did not use simply went in a ziplock bag with a label. In November I wanted to check my impeller after sucking in some sand and found it still looking new and I simply installed a new $10 1 piece faceplate (the original one looked fine but just always feel it appropriate to replace any seals/gaskets). One thing to watch out for is that the face seal itself: the one in the complete kit was a bit smaller than the one that was installed and did not cover the shaft opening to my satisfaction so I bought the seal kit (816575a2) for $6 that did have the slightly larger seal; just make to match the one that comes off to the new one you get. So while this kit will cost a bit more than just an impeller and gasket, at least all components were new.
Mark

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

having done both, the OEM kit is nicer, the one piece faceplate makes life easier and worth the extra few bucks. One important tip, when putting the impeller into the housing rotate clockwise just like the manual says, not "counter clockwise" like I somehow read. Trust me, they won't flip on their own like some will tell you and it won't cool worth a damn. I hate when I'm stupid, but at least I learn from my mistakes.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

I ended up going with the Teleflex/Sierra kit #18-3214 - http://www.amazon.com/Teleflex-Mari..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1333456810&sr=1-1

..and also made sure to get the Sierra kits #18-2599 face seal kit as per Don - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LN160E/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Fun fact: Teleflex and Sierra are the same company.

On page 3B-75 of the service manual collage that Don posted, they note to use "Quicksilver Perfect Seal" on the gasket. Is this necessary?

They also note several times to use "Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine Lubricant with Teflon" when installing. I take it that a simple dab o' grease will work here?

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I replaced my impeller I bought a OEM kit and a friend bought a Sierra. The difference in quality was night and day and he actually returned his Sierra kit after seeing the quality in the OEM. I am like most people and try to get the best bang for the buck, but some things just aren't worth skimping on and this is one of them. I see a few people recommended OEM as well.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

When I replaced my impeller I bought a OEM kit and a friend bought a Sierra. The difference in quality was night and day and he actually returned his Sierra kit after seeing the quality in the OEM. I am like most people and try to get the best bang for the buck, but some things just aren't worth skimping on and this is one of them. I see a few people recommended OEM as well.

Besides the quality of the rubber for the impeller, what else is different? Paper gaskets (usually) are paper gaskets.. a wear plate is a wear plate..

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe that the gaskets were much better with OEM and it included the o-ring gaskets for the fill and drain plugs, which I don't think the Sierra kit did. After having both in my hands it was an easy choice for me. Will the Sierra kit work without a problem, most likely. If someone gave me a Sierra kit for free, it would end up in my trash can. Just my .02 cents.

Don S

Besides the quality of the rubber for the impeller, what else is different? Paper gaskets (usually) are paper gaskets.. a wear plate is a wear plate..

Other than the face seal tool, the drain plug gaskets, and the better materials in the impeller. The OEM gaslets are not just paper gaskets. There is a rubber ring on the gasket between the housing and wear plate on the OEM gaskets, not sure about the aftermarket.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Ok ok ok. Shipment intercepted and returning to sender. I'll go get the OEM kit. When you put it in terms of whether or not trying save $60 is worth my $3000 brand new engine, it seems silly.

Is it possible to get a kit without the entire housing? As discussed previously, that rarely needs to be changed.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 'kit' had everything which is what I wanted and in my case, I found the original housing would be ok to keep as an spare only; glad I did buy the whole kit. I did the same with my Bravo 3 water pump: bought the entire kit and installed the new housing and keep the old housing as an onboard spare should an emergency arise. Shop around for the kit as some places will have reduced or no shipping once certain price points have been reached.
Mark

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

$104/w shipping from boatfix.com for the updated Merc PN# 817275Q05 is the best that I can find so far..